back to article BT's Phorm small print: It's all your fault

BT subscribers who are invited to take part in its new trial of Phorm's internet monitoring and advertising system will be responsible for telling anyone who uses their computer that they could be being tracked online - whether they opt in or not. In the updated Total Broadband terms and conditions for the trial, BT washes its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Who is responsible for Doling out Flash Cash/Lines of Credit for CyberSpace dDevelopment?

A Valid and Legitimate Question which One can ask of any Public Funded Administrative Body Fronting/Pimping Capitalist Ponzis ....... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

[And ishe first sentence you can read there, a mirror of the Slush Funding for the Wall Street Bailout. More Rent to be Flushed away into Capitalist Coffers Guaranteeing their Running the Gauntlet for Suitable Paining Punishment and the Demise and Total Collapse and Disappearance of All of their Stock Market Value...... with a Transfer of such Wealth as is Fully Warranted to AI Beta Market with NEUKlearer Future Options and Mutualised Derivatives in Shared Source Programs.

"..... and after a while he actually starts making quite a bit of sense." .... By Bob Merkin Posted Friday 3rd October 2008 23:17 GMT.

Suggesting that the Slow Start is Due to Poor Reception Analysis rather than Transmission Communications Protocols.

However, it should be Realised that in a Web Based Network InterNetworking Medium, One has Multiple Operating Systems with Myriad Divisive Nationalised and Regional Language Hurdles to Jump/Overcome, with a Universal Virtual Machine Driver, Tempting All to Create a New Space Language for CyberIntelAIgent Use.

AI Language in Plain Text with Zero Ambiguity, for Easy Transcription into Any Foreign or Local Tongue. ....... A QuITe Harmless Alien Language for Alien Languages in a Singularity Project Created in Civil CyberSpace..... 42 Generate Control and Power of Economies and Industry with AI and ITs Virtual Governance Facilities..

2. John Dow

Hrmm

"the Home Office said it believed that publishing a website gave implicit consent."

Does that mean I can put a banner on my site saying I DO NOT give consent?

3. David

Arrogance

I too used to be a BT employee and I actually go back to the days when "Post Office Telephones", as a government department (little yukky-green vans with a crown symbol on the side and all that!), used to run the country`s telecommunications as a service. I was also around during privatisation and, since then, the arrogance of the company has to be experienced to be believed. Customers (called "subscribers" in the old days) now have to wait days to have a line fault repaired instead of (literally) hours when I was a maintenance engineer. To get to speak to a knowlegeable engineer on the phone these days is well-nigh impossible. The off-shore call centres are a joke and this latest Phorm debacle seems to the thin end of a very thick wedge. I think I have read approximately 2 postings in all the time I have been following this that have begrudgingly suggested that targeted advertising might be better than the randon stuff we get now. I have ad blockers, anyway, so that doesn`t concern me. What DOES concern me are the repeated comments that no personal details are stored. We`ve all heard of software and websites that have been compromised in some way and I wouldn`t mind betting that there are hackers, even as I speak, trying to work out ways of getting into Phorm`s system. If they crash it, all well and good, in my opinion.

4. NT

From Bob Merkin

<< [amanfromMars is] really quite harmless, and after a while he actually starts making quite a bit of sense. >>

At which point, you should *really* start worrying.

5. Sam

@Sandy Cosser

Is that rhyming slang?

6. Andy Livingstone

They make me feel like Victor Meldrew.

Bastards. It's not a "request", it's an instruction. Who do they think they are?

So, if we don't want Phorm's robots on site they think we don't want ant one else's?

Ah well, that's my sites listed to them. Standing by for Russian invasion.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@RogueElement

Yep,

A contract is illegal if it favours one party above the other this has been tested in court and there are precendents.

Unfair Terms and Conditions and common law.

A contractual agreement which has not been individually negotiated will be regarded as Unfair, if contrary to the requirement of good faith , it causes a significant imbalance in the parties rights and obligations under the agreement , to the detriment of the consumer.

A contract shall be regarded as not being individually negotiated where it has been drafted in advance and the consumer has therefore not been able to infuence the substance of the terms.

So phuck em and leave. You wont see them anywhere near a court cos they know they will loose. AND it aint a criminal offence its a civil one. So its up to them to prove their loss.

PJM

8. Graham Marsden

"Consumers want...

... greater control over their privacy online"

Right, so when people are browsing my site, selling affordable leather products (ie BDSM gear) they *really* want Phorm snooping around and checking what they're buying...!

I've just added the "Phorm Prohibited" text to my T&Cs.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Informed consent/website owners........

Right, where to start ? How about thise.... Get the phuck off my lawn you phucking gobshite bastards.

In publishing a site I consent to Phorm chopping ads on my site ? No chance. I'm adjusting my boilerplate as I post this.

Oh yes, and what exactly is the benefit to the user in "webwise". phuck all ?

10. ted frater

A possible answer

My problem is ive been with Virgin .net since they started, and by and large have been happy with the service. so lots of folk know my email address and my small website I have with virgin.

Now I would find it a real chore to try and remember to let everyone know a new email addrees if I change ISP to avoid Phorm If Virgin decide to sell their soul to the devil.

I ran a trial yesterday using an old laptop which has win 98 on it and has netscape 3 as one of the browsers I used to use.

I plugged in the US robotics modem into the phone socket and used my dialup connection to virgin.net. For email it worked flawlwssly.

So I think Ive the answer.

Im sure I dont need my mac code for dial up so Ican therefore keep my email and website with virgin and as there will be no browsing, No profiling!!!

ll move my broadband connection to an outfit that doesnt use phorm.

one other worry, not mentioned anywhereso far,

as 90%of net users use the last mile? or so of BT copper, will bt still have the deviousness to monitor my traffic?

If I found out they would have a fire problem, a coincidence of course.

11. Greg Bates
    Dead Vulture

RIPA I think only applies to public bodies...

BT is not a public body, it is a private company. Therefore as far as I can see (IANAL) RIPA does not apply to it. Please read RIPA. Now do you see what I mean?

That's OK though, because other rules govern the legality of wiretapping by private bodies, and the European regulations prohibit it. What they are doing is illegal but nothing to do with RIPA. I think it clouds the issue.

Why does BT have any customers? I'm confused about this. I understand the phone line market, people may need phonelines for broadband, but why are so many of the posters here with BT at all? If Lehman Brothers can hit the dust so can BT. I can't wait to see the day. If I had shares in BT I would sell, sell, sell.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Wake up n smell the coffee... Leave BT

Wake up n smell the coffee... Leave BT. Nuff said

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

https as server default

The time has come to run all webservers using SSL encryption (https://), these days server hardware is powerfull enough for that.

That's what I will be doing with my webservers and I would suggest this to everyone, at least you can be sure noone can modify any of your content en-route.

Game over for phorn on my web servers.

14. Somme1
    Stop

Not only

do you need to opt out from every userid on every PC on your connection... you actually need to do it with every browser you use also...

For example if you have multiple browsers installed (eg IE, firefox, safari, opera, chrome), you need to Opt out using each of the installed browsers (browsers don't share their cookies).

Maybe this opens a legal counter attack... if their information doesn't specifically state that you need to opt-out with each browser you use, Opt out using IE and then sue them when they monitor you when you use firefox (after all they didn't say you would need to opt out with firefox too, and you have explicitly asked them not to monitor you as evidenced by the cookie in IE).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Exclusion list sent

As a web freelancer with a number of personal and commercial projects, I've just emailed the exclusion mailbox a list of about 35 domains to be excluded. And as earlier comments have said, come on everyone with a website or websites - let's swamp them.

16. Mostor Astrakan
    Thumb Up

This may actually be a better one.

"11. If you end your agreement for the service during the relevant minimum

period you will have to pay a charge, by way of compensation to us, for

ending it early unless paragraphs 9 or 10 of these service terms apply or

you are ending your agreement because of a change made which is to your

significant disadvantage. You will find details of these charges in the

price terms."

Hmm... This may actually be good news. Since the disadvantage need no longer be material, it brings into play the condition that now, you have the uneasy feeling that your doings on-line are being monitored and you feel you can no longer trust your ISP. That may well be a "significant" disadvantage, though not a "material" one.

That means that you can avoid the penalty charges for ending early if you no longer trust BT.

17. Stephen Stagg

BT

"We will endeavour to keep our list of suspected fraudulent or illegal sites as up to date as possible and to warn you about any sites on this list if you attempt to view them..."

So if you try to visit the bt webwise site, it should block itself??

I'm more interested in the clause: "You consent, and you agree to ensure that each user of the BT Webwise service consents, to all technical operations that we may carry out in connection with providing the BT WebWise service."

As a BT Broadband user, I never consented to this, and it seems that BT have just made it impossible for me to fulfil the Terms of Service, so I can just ignore them and stop paying?

18. chris
    Black Helicopters

I'll just block all BT Internet mails then

I know of no sensible people who use BT internet

so I'll just block all routes to and from it.

Problem solved

Voila !!!

19. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

Re: RIPA I think only applies to public bodies...

Hi Greg,

RIPA assuredly does apply to private companies. See here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/03/redbus_founder_denied_ripa_appeal/

Also the Home Office's own opinion on Phorm here:

http://cryptome.org/ho-phorm.htm

- Chris Williams

20. Florence Stanfield
    Thumb Down

Will all with access

Will all those with access to the phorm profiler and other information have the police checks?

Since BT will be profiling young children what is to stop a paedophile from working gathering this information and also using the system to get personal details on the children. Yes I know you all keep saying it is anonymous but there is ways with a system like this to gather hidden information. We also know that word of mouth isn’t enough in today’s society with the paedophiles

21. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

Moving from BT and keeping your eMail

@ ted frater:

I moved from BT over 3 months ago. Not only for broadband, but telephony as well.

I can *still* send and receive mail via BT's mail servers using my old login and address.

Don't know if Virgin would be quite so incompetent, though.

22. Killian
    Alert

eh?

"Customers who are invited to join the trial and decline are still subject to the new terms and conditions - it's just that BT and Phorm promise to ignore their traffic as it passes through profiling hardware."

And how exactly are they going to do that if the user's traffic is anonymous to the system? Unless it isn't after all...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

interesting phormula ...

So.. they will be intercepting everyones data, it's just that they promise to ignore the info from people who Opt Out? They're going right ahead with it even though they haven't yet figured out how to do it, meaning it doesn't even comply with the t&c that people are agreeing to ??

I'm a bit confused.

Florence please don't use the pedophile line, lest this turn into a complete farce . This is bad enough that you don't need to throw in the words terrorist or pedophile to make a point against it. You need to stop doing that, you're as bad as everyone else (ie: the government) who relies on those words to get action taken. Enough is enough.

Lets face it though, even if BT only had 2000 customers, you wouldn't even be able to get that many to change. .

I'm also wondering how every owner of every website is supposed to know about Phorm and disagree to it? This is completely unfair, putting the burden on everyone who uses the internet to know about some random company (Phorm) and take action to make sure they don't negatively effect them when they're just trying to do what we all have every right to do unhindered- use the freaking internet. They are exploiting everyone to the Nth degree.

Eg: If there are 6 companies like Phorm does that mean that every website online is fair game until the individuals in charge find out about these companies, track all 6 down, find an address for all 6 and submit 6 separate request to be put on their blacklist... WHAT??

What can be done besides switch ISPs? Not enough people even know about this, so you'll never get enough people actually going to the effort to switch.. It's hopeless

24. Matt Bridge-Wilkinson
    Stop

So they spy on web traffic to serve ads to your competitors.

It seems to be that as a website publisher, its not in your interest to let Phorm profile your sites visitors.

If you dont use opt out and dont use OIX (or whoever it is that servers the ads?) you are effectively saying, please serve adverts for my competitors to my customers (or potential) for similar products and services. I really cant see any sound business mind agreeing to that, or wanting it.

I am about to drop Virgin for completely poor service, but certainly wont be going to BT.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just coincidence?

It must be plain to all now that the BT secret trials were sanctioned at the highest levels of government. Hence Bt's claims that they were no acting illegally. Hence, no action by the ICO, Met police or anybody else, and the underwhelming attitude of Members of Parliament etcetera. Our control freak government wanted to test the Phorm system ready for its own roll out of the legislation to oblige ISPs to hand over all our emailing and internet usage. Must find that Boy Scouts' book of codes and ciphers.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Exclusion

Well I've had acknowledgement that my site has been excluded and there has been no obviously "suspicious" traffic so I think we can say that they don't scrape before exclusion.

27. fnordianslip
    Linux

Dephorming the Reg

Will the Register lead the way and add the appropriate wording to deny Phorm the data-mining rights to it's web trafic?

fnord

___

Penguins, cos I've never heard of them performing nasty data-mining operations.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like