back to article World goes mad as Bill and Jerry eat churros

Microsoft has debuted the first commercial starring its $10m Vista pitchman, Jerry Seinfeld. The ad shows the funnyman spotting Bill Gates shopping at a discount shoe store, whereupon churros, foot sizes, wearing clothes in the shower, and chewy computers are discussed – anything but Windows Vista, it seems. Reactions to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

RE: Computers make you stupid.

[quote]

I'm no pedant but.....

Solomon Grundy - "make absolutely know sense at all?"

I once saw in a university magazine the editor using "no" instead of "know", but that just about takes the biscuit.

How about all those people who dont know the difference between "lose" and "loose" to.

[endquote]

OK - That last "to" had to be an 'o' short deliberately, right?

Otherwise it's just to funny!!

@Martin

Is it a coincidence (koinsidens?) that this article has just appeared:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/08/english_spelling/

so what the ad says is ..

... "Vista. An irrelevant waste of space."

For those seeking intent

Maybe the commercial's intent was simply to get people talking. This article is at 103 comments as of my posting... seems to be working...

Thumb Down

Dull and lacklustre

The title nearly says it all. Although I did like the video on youtube with the alternate ending. It is perhaps a more accurate impression of what we can expect from Microsoft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQMg3gc1r4

IR

The ad, explained

Here's what the ad means:

Bill has bought from the same shoe store for years (i.e. used Windows) because he is comfortable with it. In this instance, the shop assistant is giving him bad advice (like the employees of PC World) so he isn't getting the shows that fit him (OS). Jerry steps in and finds a better fitting pair of shoes (er, Vista?), proving that the store still sells good shoes but that the assistant is crap. So basically, PC stores sold Vista on unsuitable machines, so it seemed crap when it wasn't.

Okay, this premise does seem a bit silly, since MS were at fault for getting Vista on unsuitable machines, but on the right machine it does work really well. Maybe MS should get in on the overpriced-but-works market.

It will work well in the US, since the Apple ads here feature an old balding fat guy as the PC, and a sharp fashionable young guy as the Mac (more of a contrast than the UK ads). In comparison, Gates comes across as an ordinary guy buying shoes on his own in a discount shoe store, and people can relate to that (they voted for Bush for that reason). 80% of people don't care about being cool, they just want something they can use.

Black Helicopters

It obviously worked....

...because people are talking about it.

There is a message in there which may have escaped everyone because we're just too damn technical on this site. Apparently Vista isn't a heap of crap because it doesn't do what we need it to do (and it does a load of stuff we don't need) but rather its because we're not doing our work the right way. This is classic marketing-speak. It works.

We've got a similar thing going on in the US at the moment. We've got this election thing and one of the participants represents a party that's been in power for years with total control over the whole Federal government. In order to sell its new candidates its actually marketing a message of "change". The neat (or rather, terrifying) thing is that they may even get away with it.

Gates Horns

Funny photo

If you churn around on Google the photo that Bill has on his discount card looks a lot like his jail picture.

Odd that.

Obviously

They don't mention Vista because they don't want their advertising investment to expire if (and when) they suddenly start talking about Win7 or anything else.

It's really surprising that they've let the Mac vs PC ad run so long unopposed. I'm sure the phrase "let's not dignify that with a response" was bandied about. Maybe the recent pokes about vendor lock-in made MS realize they didn't have that much dignity.

Coat

just a regular guy

I can hear the advertising execs: "people will see that Bill puts his shoes on one at a time just like the rest of us." The zero-ness of advertising amazes me.

Mines the one without the advertising slogans.

Thumb Down

That was an MS spot?

I actually thought the ad was about "Conquistador" shoes, or something else, until my pal pointed out the MS logo at the end.

What are they trying to sell again? Cake? Bill Gates' new line of shoes? A new method to get tight shoes to fit? Churros? A new "comedy" program by Mr. Seinfield?

Somebody should fire the entire MS ad department and hire me.

Wait, that's a bad idea too...

Thumb Up

@ Herby (the 'hawk-eye' LOL)

"Am I the only one who sees some irony here? Go back and take a look at ALL of the episodes of the Seinfeld show. Back in the corner of Jerry's apartment is (wait for this!) a Mac!"

You are correct. I was wondering when someone other than myself was going to mention this long(est?)-running product placement. They even had a Twentieth Anniversary Mac in there for a while.

So Jerry is a smart business guy. So what. Power to him, I say.

It is good to be rich

I talk to my students about advertising. I say sometimes it about creating brand awareness in market category. I say sometimes it is about creating a need for a product. And sometimes it is simply about spending money so the world know you are a company that is so successful you have money to waste on a pointless bit of advertising. The MS commercial is the later. It is the ultimate payback from a geek. No matter how cooler you are than me, no matter how much better your products area, no matter how much more popular you are, I am the one with so much cash I can blow a wad on something that is fundamentally useless. It is like the extravagant sweet sixteen parties for ultra rich teenagers. A swan song and finger to those that would criticize the innate perfection of money.

Anonymous Coward

They paid 10 Mil for that tripe?

OK, for $5 million I'd stab BOTH Seinfeld and Gates in the forehead with a pair three inch stilettos. I despise advertising, but sadly it's a fact of life. But if you're going to waste my time with a commercial, at least give it a point.

I have to agree with Mr. Grundy; bodily needs to be done to everybody involved with the making if that time waster.

Paris Hilton

The goal with this first advert ...

... was to get people talking. Seems it worked! :)

More to follow.

(Paris because she REALLY knows how to get people talking! ;))

IT Angle

I prefer the alternate ending...

... watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQMg3gc1r4

In any event yes I can see this is a scene setting ad but... that bit where Bill and the shoe fitter nod at each other is just tow-curlingly awful. I wonder what the yanks make of it? Definitely NOT an international commercial...

Tim
Linux

I'll tell you what I think:

After seeing that add, I so want to learn to use Linux, I want to learn Linux back to front so I can custom build my own OS.

The only thing I've heard about Vista that makes me want to try it out is the speech recognition and I'm not prepared to risk it, its probably crap. Calling India is a better speech recognition system, cheaper and more effective, unless they are running Vista in India.

Actually, that ad proves that BG missed his calling as a deadpan comedian, but then so does the microsoft fiasco.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums