Feeds

back to article The Google-isation of all the net's access points

Google is creating its own open source Chrome browser and so spreading its influence over access points to its core search, mail, docs, photo-sharing and other services. An early - maybe too early - release of a (no really) comic book-style description of Chrome can be found here. The giant, brimming with optimism, megadollars …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

GoogleUpdate

Installed, disliked, uninstalled.

The uninstallation leaves GoogleUpdate.exe behind, grrrr (presumably a bandwidth robber). Bizarrely, or maybe suspicously, googleupdate.exe is installed in c:\doc&sets\<userwhoinstalled>\localsettings\appdata\google (or something like that) and doesn't appear in the installed programmes list, so you easily uninstall it if you don't want it. Grrrr.

In fact, I'm noticing that loads of software these days are leaving bits of themselves behind, installed and run at startup, even if you 'uninstall' the application. Grrrr. No wonder PCs go stale.

Jobs Horns

@Dick Emery

You must have a stuffed installation of Windows cos it loaded fine on my normally troublesome Vista machine.

Very quick, very nice. Posting this from it right now. I think it may become my new browser of choice :)

Now just the matter of a Mac version. Oh - and If this is what Android is like, I want to know if I can reformat my iPhone :)

Flame

Re: Chrome

I only bother to use Gmail, Calendar, Blogger, Docs, Youtube, and News, so this is a no-brainer for my Internet use,

as long as it can look up El Reg, and other basic sites, i'll stick with it, i mean, i feel ya, Firefox, but you better take Google's advice and converge,

Chrome is a surprise to me, and an obvious choice for my needs...

Silver badge

Holy crap, that's fast

I'm a really cynical guy, but I think it's actually pretty impressive. I've tried it on some of my more complex layouts and it seems to be standards compliant. My AJAX/jQuery stuff runs *seriously* fast in it, and I love some of the functionality, and how easy it is to use.

My only concern is that it's from Google. How much of what I'm doing is being sent home? And how open-source is it? I might wait to see what comes up once people start digging under the hood before I use it at home, but for my work PC (which is a wee bit less powerful) this may well be a winner.

@ David Harris

[quote]

"Google has a great search engine and some neat apps. ... I am looking forward to this browser, it sounds great. I just wish Google would stop their intrusion on our browsing habits in the way that they do, ... The internet is for interesting material and not just advertising."

[endquote]

Hah - how do you think Google pay for all this "free" stuff you are getting? It's all paid for by advertising - indeed if you use Google products you are actually propping up the advertising business model that you don't like. Don't want adverts, use Firefox...

Chrome

I like it, as a web developer and an end user, remember it's still a beta but have been using it for the past hour and it's nice and clean!!

Silver badge

Actually, it's better than I thought

Just spent a little time cruising around the menus and some of the developer tools built straight into the browser are fantastic! The Firebug clone is brilliant. (Though some of it does look suspiciously like the little-known Araneae editor. I wonder if Mr McIntyre has noticed that.) The Javascript debugger does what it says on the tin, the task manager is actually a useful piece of kit.

I might use this for my development today and see how it goes. So far, in terms of out-of-the-box functionality and speed, it's looking like a potential Firefox beater for me. Just the privacy issues to worry about.

H
Coat

i'll install it...

....if it runs adblock.

not very likely though is it.

Tried it...

I am writing this from Chrome now... It is very fast (in comparison to FF3), it is very nice to use and it is neat. I like it... But as others noted: The dealbreaker is the missing AdBlocker ;-)

It's Only A Beta

This is fast, REALLY fast

The simplicity and the lack of 'chrome' is fantastic, it really is an invisible browser that just displays the web, displays it well and displays it fast

Of course we've become used to extensions, and there are a few I'm missing, tabscope for one

I can't believe people aren't going to give it a chance

I was with Firefox since 0.9, and it has progressed loads now it's up to v3.0.1

IE has also progressed loads now it's up to v7 (8 in beta) (This isn't a post for me to MS bash for the sake of it)

Opera has progressed loads now it's up to v9.5

I am running v0.2 Chrome and there is obviously plenty to do before it even gets it's v1.0 release

The built in task manager in the developer menu, the ability to turn a page into a desktop application, the fantastic UI leaving all the screen real estate to the page your viewing, and the speed!

All make it worth giving it a good try

When I was trying to get my friends to convert to FF, I told them to try it for 2 weeks and don't go back to IE untll after the 2 weeks are up and then see what you think, all of them moaned about having to do this or that for a few days, but by the end of the 2 week when they fired IE up they hated it and said they'd never use it again

If you apply my 2 week challenge to chrome, I guarantee when you use Firefox after a fortnight it will seem old, slow and cluncky in comparison

I just hope in future beta version they will develop a system to extend it

But for now it does what it says on the tin, it browses the web, and it browses it fast & well!

Thumb Up

Never mind 2 weeks, 2 minutes is enough

So, I have my reservations and doubts about Google as a company - rather more so than MS, actually - MS just wants my money, I fear Google wants my soul. And Chrome is missing an adblocker - that's close to essential for me.

BUT - it works. Fast. And doesn't need to be switched to Full Screen to avoid hogging screen real estate - which means it displays several of my favourite sites correctly straight off. And it's fast, and it works. Fast.

I'm impressed, which is pretty good for a cynic. When the adblocker appears, I'll probably use it.

Pirate

@ Pete H

"Hah - how do you think Google pay for all this "free" stuff you are getting? It's all paid for by advertising - indeed if you use Google products you are actually propping up the advertising business model that you don't like. Don't want adverts, use Firefox..."

Your petty jealousy is showing mate. Stay with that house brick if you want. It's as dead as a Dodo when Google pull the plug to it's finance.

Alert

The problem is...

...Google is slithering into every niche in the web it can find.

I don't really trust them. I don't like the 'Fcuk you - we OWN you' corporate attitude revealed by so many of their statements.

A Google browser?

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

Thumb Up

Mouse Gestures is all I miss

Looks like a pretty good browser; very VERY fast as has been mentioned, got all my settings and stuff from firefox easily (including all my saved passes, slightly disturbing!) and I have yet to find a site it doesn't work with correctly, hell, its nice not to have to install flash on a fresh browser.

I haven't tried it yet, but it also looks like it will suit my EEE 701 and its tiny screen too :)

BUT, much like whenever I try any new browser, I miss mouse gestures so so much!

oh, and you can't add anything to the spell checker, so firefox will have to retain its red wriggly underline

Simon!

Is it me or have Google acquired the late 1970's game "Simon" to use as their logo?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(game)

coat.....mine's the one with the coloured flashing lights on the back..

Thumb Down

The road to hell is paved with Chrome. The road to heaven is paved with addins.

Google funded firefox has turned into a nightmare for Google. They left their foot on the accelerator too long and hopefully for us end users FF is out of anyones control now. The ease of writing and delivering addons for developers and the ease of finding and installing addons for users makes FF a real user orientated thing.

Combine that with addons that manipulate and control the web pages before representation on the screen, eg CustomiseGoogle that do interesting/useful things like automatically extending the google search page as you page down without requiring click on Next page, FF is truely dedicated to the interest of the masses instead of its maker.

For Microsoft the web browser was the next level up threat that commoditises their operating system. For Google the addin is the next level up threat that will commoditise the browser. Their best bet is to portray addins as wild untrustworthy things that one must fear. I think you can see this approach in their cartoon.

Their choice of the name Chrome is an evil attempt to destroy the guts of Firefox which is also called Chrome.

Coat

@Fraser, @Steve, @et al.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that "locking people into open source" is akin to "locking people into Google." Google is no more benovelent than Microsoft; they've taken "open source" and made it their own for-profit venture. So, they're really no better than anyone else--they've stood on the shoulders of all those before them, and taken the next step.

I find it interesting that the "each tab is its own process" is being looked at as a novel idea. Everyone calls Microsoft a "me, too" company, introducing tabs and sharing the process memory between all tabs with IE7. They obviously should have waited a few more years and called their old "separate window in a separate memory space" process revolutionary. Everything old is new again. This poo apparently *can't* stink because it comes from Google. The self-proclaimed "Do no evil" company has just polished another turd.

As for the comment from Steve:

-- "Thanks Google for making a few leaps forward unlike IE8 which is lagging behind and doing nothing more than stealing it's ideas from others (mostly Firefox)."

You just need to turn to Page 2 of the delightful Google and read the bottom two right panes, "Finally Google Chrome is a fully open source browser. We want others to adopt ideas from us -- just as we've adopted good ideas from others."

So, Google calls it "adopting" and it's OK; anyone else does it and it's stealing?

The only things preventing Google from having as much purported evil as Microsoft are (in this order): longevity in the marketplace (Microsoft's got a good 30 years) and money (Google's market cap at $146bn is about $100bn behind Microsoft).

Given enough of both, Google will be every bit as protectionist and evil. Google's in business to make money, not to benevolently employ thousands of programmers to turn out goodwill software. They have shareholders to appease, which means that the dollar is king.

There are plenty of other companies that base their products on open-source that are nearing this level of evil as well. Open source doesn't mean "better" anymore--it just means you only have to put the finishing touches on someone else's work before you call it your own and start charging for it.

In the end, all companies are out to make a buck at the expense of the consumer. While they may start with lofty ideas of free (as in beer and as in speech), free doesn't pay the bills. Adverts, popups, licensing and subscription fees, and marketing apparently do.

Welcome to Google being just like everyone else.

Mine's the one with a cynical view embroidered on it.

Silver badge
Stop

@Chris Long & Google Europe 2.0

"Page 13 of that comic has a map of Europe where Belgium, Holland and those other funny little countries have all apparently been assimilated into Germany."

You mean those funny little countries (Hungary, Czech, Austria etc - formerly known as Austria-Hungary K.u.K. :)), almost all bigger than Holland or Belgium? :p

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but the brain finds it really hard to look away from the geographical facts... ;)

@ Aaron

Quote: "Google is no more benovelent than Microsoft..."

Aint that the truth: amen to that.

I trust Google even less than I trust Microsoft.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.