Feeds

back to article Now Hollywood is chasing UK downloaders

Tiscali threatened to disconnect a customer for illegally downloading a TV show last week, after receiving a copyright infringement notice from a Hollywood studio. The only problem was the customer had quit the ISP months before the alleged transgression was made. Euan MacLay had been a customer of Freedom2Surf (F2S) for two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alert

They're not the only ones!

Be have recently been receiving complaints of a simailer nature on their forums. Perhaps you could do an article on them?

Anonymous Coward

One Second of Fame

Quoting:

"Evidentiary Information:

Recent Infringement Timestamp: 16 Aug 2008 06:48:42 GMT

Infringed Work: Stargate Atlantis

Infringing FileName: Stargate.Atlantis.S05E02.HDTV.XviD-0TV.avi

Infringing FileSize: 367061894

Initial Infringement Timestamp: 16 Aug 2008 06:48:42 GMT"

This is amazing. Suppose I'm having a play around with my computer and just checking out what all this fuss is over p2p. I connect my testing p2p client to a swarm - for one second - and the next thing I know I'm ferkin served with this crap.

Or am I misreading this and the 'case' (inasmuch as for exercise we can pretend that one exists at all) is a bit more solid in that in one second he managed to download a file of 367061894 [unspecified whatevers - which I suspect is the whole file that happened to be called an 'Atlantis' episode even if it wasn't that]. Where the ferkin' hell does anybody you know have connection like that?

Bronze badge
Flame

Tiscali - My own suspicions

Yes, I'm yet another one that shifted from Piscali, er Tipex, whatever, as a result of poor service and dubious billing practices, and got well and truly shafted during the transition, which took three attempts and was eventually expedited by my new ISP because Tiscali seemed incapable of issuing a valid MAC.

In my case, following lengthy battles, I threatened to take the whole matter by snailmail to Ofcom (since their complaints procedure online was deeply flawed - their usual method was to say that they couldn't proceed because they needed more information, no matter what information you supplied!)

ANYONE still with a Tiscali account or one of the many companies that they have taken over should, IMHO, seriously consider getting out ASAP. The sooner this nightmare of a company goes to the wall, the better I shall like it.

Black Helicopters

@ Greg GIlbraith

"Billy and I are glad we're in the states, where there is no Tiscali"

We have the same crap happening here. I got one of these frakkin notices from Cox Cable about some file I had never even heard of. I had to google the name to find out it was some crappy video game that I would have heard of otherwise.

They didn't seem to catch any of the actual stuff I had downloaded.

Joke

@Dark Hippo - "alcohol isle"

Now there is a place where I would like to spend some time!

Tiscali really do suck

I used to have a Tiscali business account which never performed as well as the backup BT ADSL account (same premises, same exchange) so I decided to change provider. I emailed Tiscali cancelling the service which they acknowledged and we switched providers. Next month my credit card was debited for the monthly charge - and again, and again.

Numerous emails and phone calls made bugger all difference so I got on to the credit card supplier and got them to do a charge back for all the payments since cancellation plus one more for luck. This really pissed Tiscali off, which was the intent, I then had a year of fun with debt collection agency's trying to recoup £14.95! The last (of many) phone conversations went something like this...

Them: "You owe Tiscali £14.95!

Me: "No I don't"

Them: "Our records show blahdeblah"

Me: " I am not going to pay, are you going to sue me for £14.05? I would enjoy that"

Them "No"

Me: " Then why are you wasting your time then?"

End of phone call and end of contacts.

Tiscali are nearly as bad as that other well known bunch of twats Paypal - a similar strategy saw them long gone after they tried to claim money I didn't owe them

Coat

Friendly Fire?

It seem seem the yankees are shooting the wrong guys again,

so nothing new then.............

Linux

@ James - Nildram ( Tiscali ) - robbed me too!

Well, that explains a lot ..... Nildram owe me in excess of £100 that they robbed from me and although they have never actually said they won't pay it back, they never have payed it back, despite several phone calls ..

Guess what ! after checking Nildram's website I find that Nildram is owned by Tiscali. That Explains the bad service from what used to be a good independant company. !

Coat

'twasnt always so...

I used to run the 'abuse' department at f2s/Nildram. Back then we had a fully automated, foolproof system for dealing with copyright infringement notices. Mails came in, sat around. Mails got deleted. Nobody got hurt.

Any views expressed here are strictly the view of an ex employee and not condoned by Pipex/Tiscali :-)

Happy

@ David Farrell

It was good quality according to the "freind" who used my machine without permission. ;-)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.