back to article O2 buckles under 3G iPhone demand

O2 customers reported that the firm's activation system crashed this morning as they raced to get their new 3G iPhones, but the telco insists everything is going swimmingly. One reader in West London told El Reg that the manager of his local O2 shop said the computer system for activating iPhones “has crashed, and it’s the same …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alert

Karma seems to have forgotten me...

I am usually quite anti-apple, although their hardware cannot be mocked for build quality, I find their software and prices are often laughable. Anyway, there Is no denying, even by a vole-lover such as myself, that this new iPhone has it all (inc the restrictions of iTunes). With both my beloved iriver and my calculator phone on the blink I wandered down to the Oxford street store at about noon, and was out of there in under 20 mind with an 8gb! Couldn't download iTunes when I got home, but older versions are everywhere and the autoupdate feature works fine. I guess this is just a fluke case, but everything went swimmingly and in writing this post I think I have tripled my typing speed on this bad boy! Anybody else tries the lightsaber app?

Thumb Up

Gradually recovering the will to live

I spent 10 hours in the Apple Store on Regent Street yesterday, eventually leaving with my iBrick at 7pm. The entire experience was a shambles. Clearly 02 decided to get the guy who oversaw the Terminal 5 opening in to mastermind this launch!

CPW Ordered and still waiting (Update)

Ended up phoning CPW this morning as my Thursday order with next day delivery still hadn't turned up. They informed me that their website had messed up, quite a few of the orders and not taken payment details and in some cases the delivery address correctly. They had no record of my order number relating to an order but seemed to have my name and address on their system. They didn't have my payment details. This sounded fair enough as no money has left my account. I gave my payment details again over the phone. My account now shows a payment of £159 waiting to come out.

I was told my phone was sat in the warehouse assigned to my order and delivery is now going to be Tuesday. I will continue to wait and see what next week brings. Maybe then I will decide whether I really do want a £35 a month O2 contract.

Waiting to go back and collect my upgrade

Like 'Dark Ian' above, they couldn't complete my upgrade so they put my paperwork and my iPhone aside. Unfortunately they still couldn't process the upgrade today - O2's computer system still isn't working, I'm told it might be tomorrow.

I tried complaining to O2 by phoning their upgrade centre. Yesterday they didn't understand the problem, saying everything was fine. Today I rang and complained again, and this time they told me that the department that deals with O2 shops is different to the upgrade department that customers can phone. I asked to be put through to that department to find out what was going on but was told only O2 shop staff can speak to them.

From my limited knowledge of data centres I'm imagining that the building must have collapsed and crushed all of the servers for them to be taking this long to get back online. Presumably they don't have backup servers at another location?

But like O2's spokesperson says, everything is running smoothly.

Thumb Up

Interesting comments...

I pre-registered online weeks ago, I then pre-ordered at the beginning of this week with no problems shortly before the system borked.

My order was in progress until Thursday when finally at about 4.30pm I got 2 test messages from O2, one explaining the situation and telling that not all orders placed had been successful, those that were would be informed by the end of the day. The second text just ten minutes later informed me that yes my order was indeed successful and would be delivered by courier on Friday.

I had the day off work already so that wasn't going to be a problem (before I get mocked for being a fanboy I'd booked the day off because it was my birthday... And perhaps 5% because of the iPhone ;o)), DHL arrived at 8:50am and I was activated and restored from my iPod touch backup by 9.30am.

I hit the App store and downloaded a few games etc. played them until I drained the battery about 2am and let it charge to full which only took about 3 hours.

The only issue for me is MobileMe, I can log in online but not via my Mac meaning I can't yet push my email and calendar.

Overall a very positive experience for me.

More CPW woes (follow on from effing CPW II)

.. well I sauntered down to the shop today to find out they havn't done a damn thing with my noPhone so I picked up the kit and headed up home to call CPW Customer Services direct.

After a 5 minute conversation with someone who actually seemed to know what they were talking about, I was then informed I need to go back to the shop so they can transfer 'the stock' (ie the phone) to their store (from the CPW website store code) so they can close the order down! Totally opposite to what I was told in the shop and apparently the noPhone *will not* activate until the order is closed.

Roll on Monday evening, or Tuesday if I dont want to skip the gym again.

Sigh.

Unhappy

More Woe Too

Failed credit check for on line purchase from O2 on Monday. Ordered from CPW. Told Out of Stock, then got an e-mail saying new stock had arrived. Delivered at 10.30 am on Friday. Follow activation instructions. Nada. Ring CPW help line. Helpful operators. Transferred to O2. "phone will be recognised by end of today". It wasn't. O2 web site now says recognition may take up to three days. It's now 2.5 hours left and counting. I ain't holding my breath. Why on earth did Apple go with O2?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums