back to article Top Tory resigns on principle over 42 days bill

Shadow home secretary David Davis has resigned from Parliament in protest at the Commons' passing of government measures to allow police to detain suspects for 42 days without charge. Davis will fight a by-election in his constituency of Haltemprice and Howden on the issue of detention. He will stand without the full support …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Fragula The Furry
    Coat

David Davis for PM!

Wow.. I'm /lifelong/ anti-tory, but between David Davies and Barmy Boris, I think I can see the tories actually making a decent govenrment here! Stunning!

David Davis has made a brave abd dangerous, yet stunningly brilliant move. He has moved the arena of attention from the political classes to real people. If he is re-elected with a landslide, and labour loose their deposit (we can only wish!) then a clear message is sent back to the House of Commons - YOU ARE NOT REPRESENTING US. If NuLabour's candidate wins, then maybe its time for people like me to emigrate. I am not a number - I am a free man - and I'm going to stay that way.

An appreciative nod to the Libs for having being honorable enough not to field a candidate against him. And allso (uh-oh - paradox alert) to the BNP! (FFS!)

Now the questions are, will NuLabour have the guts to field a candidate?

This is going to show us how that small area of Britain feels about becoming a Police State. We have to rely on them to give this evil Government the roasting that its well overdue for.

Either way the Conservatives win - Legend or Martyr, either way, it is a Tory that is making a stand for freedom - I wish I could vote for him. I - as of this post - am now a Tory!

Candidate for Cardiff North - Thank David Davis and Barmy Boris for my vote at the next election.

Mine's the rather incongruous biker jacket with the even incongrouser application for membership of the local conservative club in the pocket.

2. Ross

Re Carol Yates

I totally agree that DD is just looking to get himself some column inches. This wouldn't be happening if he was in a swing seat. He knows his job is safe - the LDs won't oppose him as they agree with his stance, Lab won't because they know they will lose so it's best to just let him win by default and say "it proves nothing".

However the 42 days issue is a BIG issue. Not 42 vs 28 - that means nothing. The fact that you can be taken from the street without charge, and disappeared for 4-7 weeks should scare you though. It's getting very South American over here. Yes the Home Secretary needs to sign off on it, but there is no public scrutiny as that might tip the terrorists off (so they say). So, it is possible to shut people up during an election campaign for example, or during a public consultation or state visit etc. Talk about burying bad news!

5 days is sufficient. Yes, it is theoretically possible that someone may slip through the net and let off a bomb. That's the price I *choose* to pay for my freedom. Risk is inherent in our lives - locking ourselves (and others that are different to us) away to mitigate what is a tiny, tiny risk compared to others we face on a daily basis is not the way forward for a progressive, democratic society. Roll on the Iron Curtain Mk II :o/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brown nosed

I want Brown and his brown nosed cronies gone too - and well done to Davis for standing up and provoking a debate.

@Simon Painter - I agree, but even one million people telling Brown to get stuffed doesn't seem to be enough these days.

He just buys votes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. 42 days for decrypting computers.

Since refusing to provide the password is an offence, then they could lock them up for that and spend the time decrypting away.

So that's a spurious argument.

5. Anthony

Re: "Grandstanding?" Biased much?

I think "grandstanding" is a pretty good way to describe quitting and immediately restanding in a safe seat ... umm, when he wins, what exactly has that proven?

Labour and Lib Dems have already called the bluff and are not opposing. Hopefully no nut-job independents will oppose, and he will win by default; saving us all a lot of cash that would otherwise have been flushed unceremoniously down the toilet.

PS I think this legislation is a disgrace, but grandstanding and wasting taxpayer money isn't exactly something to be proud of.

6. Donkey

Davis is a Pratt

Most of the sensible people in this Island support Gordon Browns stance (on this issue) - that is according to the opinion polls. I certainly do. I would give the police the right to hold these people until they need to, more than 42 days if necessary. If a few innocent people get inconvenienced - tough. Rather that than a mad bomber is allowed out to take out a tube train or a bus.

In reality no one's civil liberties are threatened by this except the suspects.

As for fun boy Davis resigning, it proves nothing except that he is a media tart. Who is his resignation supposed to influence? Not Gordon certainly he'll be glad to see him go, and not David because he agrees with him.

The by-election will cost in the region of £80,000 - what a waste of time and money the whole thing is.

I hope K Mc K stands and whips his arse!

7. Edward Pearson
    Thumb Down

Well done!

Good on this chap, and I wish David Cameron would just shut up and disappear.

It's a real testament to how seriously fucked our political system is when the BEST the country has to offer is David Cameron, who is essentially Tony Blair in a bluer suit.

We have two parties (that matter) and their policies are to do the same thing, in slighty different ways. I fail to see the difference between this and single-party state.

Next stop, fascism.

8. b
    Stop

saving us all a lot of cash that would otherwise have been flushed unceremoniously down the toilet.

I have a £12,700,000,000 non-functional NHS computer system if you're interested in paying for it.

Get some perspective.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like