Feeds

back to article Jacqui Smith un-downgrades cannabis

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, standing in front of a tired-looking Gordon Brown, told the House of Commons today she would ignore advice from the government's scientific advisors and upgrade the classification of cannabis from C to B. Smith decided to ignore advice from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs which has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anon Coward

That would be like waving a red flag at a bull......

Anonymous Coward

Heres a solution

Basically regardless of the governement there are two groups here one that advocates smoking cannabis comprised of students, the unemployed and those who should know better, the other wants reduce the consumption of cannabis, and they comprise of Middleclass parents,Religous Nuts and DoGooders.

But the real issue is this; Cannabis by in large is the fifth most consumed drug after tobacco, alchol, sugar and caffiene. It doe however seem to have a very dangerous effect on some of its users wherby they become paranoid schizophrenics who get audible hullicinations and try to jump out of 1st floor windows because the shadow beats is stalking them (thats a true story from my student days). Now I'm not syaing Cannabis is bad for everyone before the "Pot-tards" get all riled, what i am saying is that it DOES cause psychosis in some people perhaps quite a large minorty as i have met a few including an extended family memember who has suffered with it. So clearly Cannabis can and is dangerous in the wrong hands, just in the same way that alcohol is, the only difference being that Alcohol is a depressent rather than a stimulant and vary rarely causes actual psychosis, though can cause random stabbing and bottlings but this is more to do with the built up anger and aggression being released through inhabition with Alcohol as the catalyst rather tan an effect of Alcohol itself.

So what to do with Cannabis, in the hands of a lot of people it is probably harmless as long as it's used in moderation. The argument that reclassification or more legislation will curb Cannibis use is clearly flawed. The fact that people are doing it regardless of it being Illegal means that the laws are not functioning. So if a sizeable proportion of the population is using it then we should decrimanalise it... but with the four essential caveats that, Cannabis especially in it's most carcinogenic vehicle (the Spliff) IS BAD for your health just as smoking tobacco is, not only is it bad for your physical health but it will also be bad for your mental health in the long term especially if your are a heavy user (2 or more spliffs per day).

Secondly that cannabis IS ADDICTIVE, you may not think that it's chemically addictive, and the chemical resaerch shows that it isn't as addictive as nicotine, but still has an addiction rating. However Cannabis is socially addictive, if you are part of that crowd your going to do it and your going to do it a lot, it is socially addictive, this is bad in the long term physically, psychologically and socially.

Thirdly Cannabis should be taxed as healthly as Alcohol and Tabacco in order to pay for the externalities the user transfers to society by his actions. at the same time it should be banned in ALL public places

Fourth and finally Cannabis production should be mainstreamed and a white market created why by regulated private business like tobacco companies who already have factories and machine tools which could be adapted to producing the product.

The effect of all that should effictivly reduce cannabis consumption and also sanatizes it as well reduce drug trafficing and illegal production.

Any questions ?

Black Helicopters

My message to GB

RE: Law and Order

Given the constant reports on a lack of funds, why the hell does the government waste their time and money to get a report of the impact of Cannabis, only to ignore it because it doesn't back up their draconian beliefs? Someone smoking skunk is very unlikely to go out and become involved in a fight, something that happens every night outside nightclubs with alcohol-intoxicated revellers. Instead of classifying Cannabis as a class-B again, understand your constituents and legalise it, allowing you to tax it. This would be far better, providing a source of income from something that people enjoy, in the same way as you control and tax alcohol and petrol, instead of wasting already-stretched police resources that can be better placed elsewhere dealing with the real crimes where people actually get hurt. FYI, I have never voted for Labour and never will. Every time Labour has been in power, the country has descended into recession and stupour.

(Black helicopters as I expect to be hunted down after that one!)

@Paul

"I just [read] 4 paragraphs from amanfromMars, not realising it was him!"

One of you is obviously stoned...

residue of '68

Is this the comments page of Private Eye?

Alien

PM Looks a bit tired?

..is this a reference to a Dr Who Christmas special from a couple of years back?

Paris Hilton

Idiotic Hypocrits lost in the woods - No search party sent

Ah yes the listening government

What did that Richard head say last week "we have learned that we must listen to the people, and learn from our mistakes"

Yep they have listened the country, they have listened to the Police, to the courts, to their expert advisor's. Considered the will of Parliament!!!

And then just said "bugger it, the editor of the Daily Mail has been giving us a hard time lately so we'll ignore what the people want"

When 20% of the population 'admit' to having smoked dope at some time in their lives. Including me, most of my friends, Jacqui Smith, Alistair Darling and half the cabinet (obvious evidence of brain damage in the latter). And 8 former members of the Conservative front bench. A couple of years ago Cocaine was detected in every rest and common room in the Houses of Parliament, must have blown in through an open window.

For many the only legit way to offset the pains from Motor Neuron Disease, MS and numerous other nerve centre injuries was to grow their own from seed, now they could be looking at 5yrs.

Can they just go, go now, just go annoy someone else, like the French (or the Dutch now that would be a laugh).

Paris: she has a clue and more wit

AC reply to AC

"You mean extreme sports such as Football, Rugby and Table Tennis* which account for the vast majority of sporting injuries - *I may have exaggerated on the last one."

Those all sound rather extreme to me!

Alert

Reality

It rather looks, as usual, as if most of the posters are somewhat partial in their views and none have bothered to consider what the famous report of the AMCD actually said, nor even read a serious summary. I have searched for the report, without success. On the other hand, I did find this (in a serious article somewhat against Brown et alia):

"The council has judged that it is not as harmful as Class A and Class B drugs, such as heroin or crack, even though there is growing evidence that cannabis use could lead to, or worsen, schizophrenia."

One of my daughters got rather fond of cannabis. it may be unconnected, but she ended up with severe psychosis, in hospital for the greater part of a year and is now permanently under treatment (though, thankfully, she went back and got a degree and is starting a MA). Every, and I mean EVERY, psycihiatric nurse etc. whom I met (rather a lot in two hospitals as well as district nurse) was in no doubt of the link between cannabis and psychosis, whatever you may want to believe. I was told that, among young people, cannabis + lager = extreme danger and full psychiatric wards. Even my daughter, once back in the land of the living, started worrying about university friends who were just unable to cope with cannabis and their courses (bright people, formerly motivated, happy people). I live in Switzerland, that took a rather relaxed attitude in most cantons. The effects have become of serious concern in schools. Actually, in England too, schools at which my three children were pupils seemed to be in no doubt of their ability to spot the consumers and of the problems it caused.

So, for those who are so confident in their beliefs, open YOUR eyes to uncomfortable matters. No doubt you also run across busy roads and say it is perfectly safe because you had no accidents.

Oh, I am no Brown/labour supporter; but that does not make him stupid. Perhaps he IS listening to the voters, just not only the ones holding your opinions.

Boffin

@Aggravating circumstances By Steve

...I dont think you have noticed that is forums are a medium for informal chat and discussion.

Calling someone a pillock because there dislexic is very remiss and maybe you need to reflect upon the type of nasty person

would you criticise a diabled person for not bing able to walk down the street in a traight line, or to critise a non english speaker for thier funny accents?

...maybe you should smoke a refeer your self and put some pink floyd on your Ipod.... maybe you would be less judmental on others!

Coat

@AC (reality)

Finally! Well done for speaking up - I have trawled through these 100 or so posts looking for some maturity and common sense and it took until your post to find any.

The persistent use of cannabis has a detrimental effect on memory, mental stability AND concentration.

I certainly don't want to be treated by a medic who smokes weed all the time, or to be on a train/bus driven by a long term cannabis user who cannot even concentrate long enough to complete a sentence because in my opinion, that could be LETHAL.

I had a few J's and cakes 2 weeks ago and the following day I remembered why I kicked it in the first place; I was in a foul mood and could not focus properly at all, but luckily I wasn't driving or putting anyone else's life at risk; can't say the same about everyone else, can we?

I too am a Brown/Labour HATER - I DIDNT VOTE THEM IN, but maybe this time the govt are listening to people with experience in this matter. I can only hope.

Mine's the flame-proof one.

Anonymous Coward

AC's Reality

I totally agree with this position, and i know someone exactly the same position as your daughter pretty much. So this isn;t isolated and it is of serious concern i think the answer is to legalise and control if we can stop the illegal supply of it anyways .

legalise it

then people wouldn't smoke the stuff that makes you ill. It isn't just the strain that alters the effects, it is the way it is grown, cured and processed, and the proportions of the active chemicals.

Having clean, well-labelled weed, and a choice from mild to strong would help.

Banning all weed is like banning shandy because people go blind and die drinking moonshine.

Stop

@ Kirk Bannister

Did you really just classify sugar as a drug? Or am I hallucinating? Must be those two spoonfuls I had in that cup of tea...

Black Helicopters

@AC (13:20)

Right, so because weed affects you in that way, it obviously does the same to everyone else. Exactly the same way that peanuts, and pollen, and cat hairs affect everyone the same way.

This morning I was in an iffy mood, and couldn't focus at all, due to the stinking hangover from drinking that lovely, legal, beer last night.

As for "maybe this time the govt are listening to people with experience in this matter. I can only hope."

I would invite you to re-read the actual story, in particular the bit where it says:

"**Smith decided to ignore advice from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs** which has studied links, or the lack of them, between mental illness and cannabis use since 2007. The group of 23 scientists decided there was no such link in its report delivered to the Home Office last week."

You see the bit I've emphasised with the double asterisks, where it says that the Home Secretary is ignoring the report the government have spent our money on?

Yeah, maybe this time the govt ARE listening to the people with experience in this matter. NOT. Remember, for every bad experience story, there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of good time stories which remain untold.

Black helicopters because I'm rapidly thinking that the government need reminding that they are there to serve us and protect us, not to lord it over us being our masters, so they'll be coming for me any day now ;-)

Anonymous Coward

@ Mat Stace

"Right, so because weed affects you in that way, it obviously does the same to everyone else. Exactly the same way that peanuts, and pollen, and cat hairs affect everyone the same way."

So we just have to take that gamble do we?

Anonymous Coward

Sugars

Yeah it's a chemical, and yes it does change or alter your state of conciousness, so yep :) And if any of you have seen a school full of kids after the Krispy Kreme Man turns up, you'd realise that sugar is the real mind killer here ;)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.