Feeds

back to article Botanist sues to stop CERN hurling Earth into parallel universe

A lawsuit has been filed in Hawaii in an attempt to hold up the start of operations by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) atom-smasher on the French-Swiss border. A colourful American botanist, teacher, former biologist and sometime physicist says (in outline) that the LHC may rip a hole in the fabric of the space-time continuum …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

fon

So prove YOU exist!!!!

- and are not some idiot who thinks the world is flat...........

Flame

existance

I do exist, many can confirm this. There are laws of physics within which I can be described and I am aware of the curvature of the earth.

The maths which could be used to prove my existance, alegedly can be traced to a singularity which proves the existance of blackholes, however i've seen equally convincing forms of the equations which result in no such singularity.

I'm not saying black holes don't exist only that there is an equally good argument for them not to exist as there is for them to exist.

Please try and keep and open mind and not just swallow the media BS that you are obviously so fond of.

fon

proper URL....

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080330

If still u/s, just look at 30th march cartoon....

- and I'm sure 'non-american' companies would be glad to supply the parts.... Can USA afford to lose out???

Heart

eltiT

How would this collective paranoia/prudent caution manifest if it were found that an equally sized LHC had been built in North Korea? Iraq? Afghanistan?

Snuggle.

fon

ahhhh...

lasersage: are you bipolar??? look at what YOU said...

"please stop refering to black holes as though there existence is factual."

"I'm not saying black holes don't exist" - you just did, see above...

If you want to continue your BS, at least stick to your story...

At least religious nuts *keep* saying GOD exists, even though it cannot be proven... - and before they join in, I'll only accept a public appearance as proof.... :D :D

NASA has got this..

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/blackhole_milkyway_021016.html

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast12jan_1.htm

http://www.wonderquest.com/black-holes-proof.htm

my story?

i haven't changed my story one bit, in my opinion blackholes are at best unlikely, I never said they didn't exist, only that you should keep your mind open to the fact that they may or may not exist. I personally err on the side of their non existance but that is merely my view, not a fact. I wouldn't present it as one either.

And yes I'm sure you can find a million links to claims for black holes reality, but your overlooking the fact that there's money to be made from this bandwagon. There was a time when all you had to do was drop "blackhole" into the title of a paper and it would be practically guarenteed publishing (if you need publishing I'd now recomend saying something about nano technology).

How can you show such an inteligent view: questioning the existance of god, and yet swallow the science pill so easily.

All I'm saying is, real or not, don't believe all that you read - even when a whole load of people believe it is fact.

Cerainly not bipolar, just healthily eccentric as all should be.

fon

hook, line, sinker......

time to get back to your bible class????

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: hook, line, sinker......

Could you resubmit that comment, fon? I don't think it quite conveyed just how vigorously you were rolling on the floor. Also, the other readers will have no idea as to whether or not you laughed your ass off at all.

fon
Happy

hey you asked for it......

ROFLMAOAAPMP ROFLAICGU ROFLASTC (poor cat) ROFLASTD ROFLMGO ROFACGU ROFLAICGU ROFLASTD ROFLMAOAAPMP ROFLASTD IRJCGUMSATM.... WALOLHATF TIWPAR....

fon
Joke

AWAGSOH HY??

HIHOYT!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMhrBPSm5w

GYSOHB??

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Beeb on bandwagon

A few days late with this so I spose no-one will be reading it but...

I just heard Walter L Wagner spouting off on BBC Radio 4's prestigious 'Today' morning news programme. As far as I could tell, his main gripe is that CERN has failed to publish a risk assessment and therefore no-one knows whether or not the collider will go tits-up and send all to hell in a handcart. A *risk assessment* FFS - how very 2008.

I know very little about theoretical physics but I know a 24-carat nutter when I hear one! Walt sounded barking to me (albeit in an affable way).

Given the choice seems to be between the views of an obvious loony and those of several thousand sober physicists and cosmologists, I'll rest easy in my bed.

Trouble is, a lot of Radio 4 listeners are even more scientifically illiterate than me and I am sure at least a few of them will be shitting in their slippers as they contemplate the Earth vanishing up its own hole.

They could, of course, be right. Walter the dread-droid might not be mad as a hatter. But at least they won't be around to say "Toldja so"

Professor Dr. Otto E. Roessler estimates 50 months accretion time

Professor Dr. Otto E. Roessler estimates 50 months Earth accretion time from a single micro black hole captured by Earth's gravity (www.golem.de/0802/57477-4.html, translation at www.lhcconcerns.com/LHCConcerns/Forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52)

Black Helicopters

I estimate accretion time...

of Mr. Roessler's mind to be infinite.

Bronze badge
Coat

Hmmm...

...so if the LHC goes online in May, 2008... then, allowing for, say, a few months of testing before they go for The Big One, 50 months for the Earth to fall into the black hole would put as at just about December, 2012...

Looks like the Mayans were right, after all

Black Helicopters

Crazy Like a Fox?

Hmmm...

The man seems to be experiencing financial difficulties from what appears to be a scam, and now is so worried about black holes, parallel universes and stranglet soup he has launched not only a lawsuit, but created a website that, among other things, asks for money.

Fascinating, as Mr. Spock would say...

Coat

Evil Victorious Nazi Empire with Space Battlecruisers?

Speaking of Mr. Spock... that reminds me:

According to the Startrek Mirror Universe Theorem (SMUT), we may well slip into a kind of mirror universe that could well be ruled by Good Nazis having triumphed over the Evil Allied powers. As well, SMUT also endorses the Babes in Skimpy Costumes Hypotheses (cf Evil Graham, earlier post), though there's still some debate about the Evil Empire in Cool Uniforms Conjecture. All in all, it might be fun to see what our evil counterparts are up to!

...unless, we're _their_ evil mirror twins, and it's the Evil American Empire that has triumphed, and Emperor Bush has enslaved the world to construct his latest Death Star Weapon of Mass Destruction, and all he needs is the secret to having an atom smasher create strangelet soup with which to destroy the universe...

...oh dear. I'm getting a headache. Time for my milk and cookies.

Mine's the one with the Starfleet logo and the clearly labelled directions to my parents' basement, in case I ever get lost in the real world.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.