Feeds

back to article Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90

Arthur C. Clarke has died at the age of 90. The famed writer and visionary died early Wednesday morning at a hospital near his home in Sri Lanka, The Times reports. Most famous for expanding his short story "The Sentinel" into a novel and screenplay that served as the basis for Stanley's Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

... and understanding is everything.

Farewell. You will be missed.

The King is dead, long live the King

90 is not bad, not bad at all. Personally, I'm shooting for 120 but, in truth, I'd probably settle for 90 .... at a push. So why did this news make me a little sad?

For several decades now I've been both fascinated and inspired by his books; and, to my great delight, it was through ACC work that I discovered Stephen Baxter whom I now find just as stimulating.

They did in fact collaborate on a novel or two and, in my humble estimation, Stephen Baxter is a very worthy successor to the crown. Check him out if you enjoy that sort of thing; its nothing if not expansive.

Heart

A big roomy mind at play.

Thank you for the mind expanding wonder you filled my teenage years with Sir Arthur.

When I heard the news I thought of this passage from the end of "The City and the Stars". I waited until I got home to copy it from the book. I wanted to be sure I got it right.

"In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again.

The End"

Sleep well Sir Arthur. You will be missed.

Happy

Goodbye and thanks

Your books made many a penniless, evening pass enjoyably.

Rick

Silver badge

My god, its full of ...

So me and my dad will be in mourning, as we read three of the four "2001" books (3001 came out sometime around 1997.)

One of the most visionary writers in the Sci-Fi genre, you will be missed.

I suppose Arthur C. Clarke is now reunited with HAL and David Bowman ....

Heart

another one gone, but what a legacy he leaves us

It's years since I read any of his books, but it's time to have another look.

This month has seen many deaths, some already mentioned here, one not yet mentioned in this topic is the death of British radio astronomy.

ps

how come Cade Metz manages a dozen pages a week on pointless wikifiddling but barely a dozen paragraphs on the legacy which ACC leaves behind?

My First Sci-Fi Author

I first found ACC's books in the school library all those years ago, my first taste of proper science fiction. They made me think, for the first time, about what I was reading.

I enjoyed them and they started me off on reading Sci-Fi.

Arthur C. Clarke. An author who had a small but positive influence on my life.

Unhappy

The Star

Says it all really.

Say Hi to Bob H and Ike A Sir Arthur.

The world is a lesser place without him.

Thumb Up

Re: Graham Dresch

"That Arianespace rename their launch site in Kourou.

" the Arthur C. Clarke Spaceflight Centre "

Many geosynchronous communication sateleites have been launched from this facility"

Motion hereby seconded (spelling mistakes are Dresch's, not mine).

Alien

Thanks, Arthur

From memory:

"Dr. Chandra... Will I dream??"

"I don't know, HAL"

You have mankind's gratitude for all the dreams, hope and peace you've brought us with your novels. Thanks for giving us your visions....

Whenever , in the future, something like HAL exists, i think everyone will think of you.

Say hi to Dave Bowman and HAL, for me....

Coat

Grow up

Everybody dies, including rubbish sci-fi writters. Get lives, get jobs and get laid.

By Arthur, pitty you can't write a book on where your now... pretty darn toasty in hell huh?

Mines the one with the wings.

Secretly a Raman

I don't know why everyone is saying he will be missed. After all, "the Ramans do everything in threes".

Heart

Fountains of Paradise

My favorite author, a humanitarian and a visionary. Farewell Arthur, and thank you. When will be build the Clarke orbital tower in Sri Lanka ?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.