back to article 2012 Olympics logo debuts to whalesong

Olympics minister Tessa Jowell clearly spent too much time in the chill-out room absorbing whalesong from her iPod at the "star-studded" launch of the 2012 Olympics logo in London's Roundhouse earlier today, since she described the rather frightening graphic as both "an invitation and an inspiration" as VIPs battled to verbally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

What a mess

I couldn't believe the logo (or the price) when I saw it on the TV this morning.

I thought the logo should reflect where the venue, and last time I looked London didn't resemble a pile of rubble, although I guess it might come the opening ceremony!

Why didn't they just have a competition for the design. Even just restricting it to the under 12s would have produced something better than this.

And to those that might defend (well there might be one somewhere) and say "You don't understand what the artist is trying to say", well that's true, I don't, which means he's pretty crap at expressing himself!

The whole Olympics thing seems nothing more than a gravy train for those with their tongues stuck in the right persons back passage.

I feel the urge to get some T-Shirts printed...

"I paid £400,000 and all I got was the lousy logo"

Yep, the public really do hate it ...

There was much mirth an merriment in the office yesterday - once you've got the Lisa Simpson image into your head, nothing short of a lobotomy is going to shift it!! Interestingly, there's a new batch of user-submitted logos on the Beeb's website, although nothing (yet) on a par with the goatse inspired logo ;-)

Almost forgot ...

"Don't forget, it's 5 years before the London Olympics, just imagine how far media has moved in the last 5 years and project that forward..."

I have ... and I predict that the logo will still look like complete crap in 5 years time.

Simon

Anonymous Coward

Bruce!

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/9217/bruceybonuswr4.jpg

Surely it's

A man reeling in pain after being hit in the testicles by a brick?

Broken?

[our brand] will define the venues we build and the Games we hold and act as a reminder of our promise to use the Olympic spirit to inspire everyone and reach out to young people around the world.

All these things, the venue, the games, our promise, and our spirit... they must all be broken if this logo defines them!

& another NSFW tasteful one here following on with the LS theme.

http://img9.imagepile.net/img9/12224olympicgschpunken.gif

Argh! My eyes! My eyes!

Brings a whole new meaning to Bart's catchphrase "eat my shorts".

Or maybe the little square in the middle might represent a biometric ID card, being held up for inspection by a citizen (represented by the bit in the bottom left - the angle where the "card" meets it is his hand) toward the spiky round-ish thing in the top right (the all-seeing eye of the surveillance camera on every lamp-post). The squiggles in the top left and bottom right are the mind-control beams that are no doubt being worked on by the Ministry of Freedom as we speak (to be installed as an upgrade to the "Oi! You! Yes, you, laddie! Stand still!" PA systems now employed).

And on a lighter note, mention of the BT "pan-piper" guy reminds me of the time I was a placement student there. We discovered that some unknown person had found the graphic file used for our fax gateway's page header, and had made a subtle couple of pixels, erm, "enhancement", to the trumpeter bloke.

I still wonder how many faxes went out with that letterhead.

Exploding ZORRO

The logo only partially remains. The -RO has already left the stadium. ZOR is left, in critical condition, about to collapse.

It's time for a London Olympic Logo Factorization Smiley:

ZOR=2x2x503

Allah Akhbar!

Aren't you getting a new mosque next door to the Olympic Stadium? Put this *@*&# logo there, and go get another one.

Long Dong Olympics

That's just for those of you who only see sexual poses in that logo.

Why does it even need to say "london"?

It's all in lower case, which is a clue. That's going to be your new symbol for the underground roundabouts.

What was it again I was supposed to see in there?

Oh yeah. Numbers.

2-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-2

What's that all about?

Olympic scoring for the logo competition?

They're just coming up now....wait for it.

We have the scores from our 9 judges.

There are zeroes from the Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Albanian, French and German judges.

Throw out the high and the low.....

0-0-0-0-0-1-2

3.0 out of a possible 70.0

Now rated #1 for vomit

Yes, in little more than a day the 2012 Olympic logo has become the #1 rated vomit shot over on ratemyvomit.com:

http://www.ratemyvomit.com/?action=ssp&pid=1511

See top 10 in top left :) ithankyou!

Olympics Brand

Not to be outdone, Tony Blair weighed in with: "We want London 2012 not just to be about elite sporting success. When people see the new brand, we want them to be inspired to make a positive change in their life. London 2012 will be a great sporting summer but will also allow Britain to showcase itself to the world."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That makes sense to me, living in Texas. Once the athletes-to-be pass the drug test, brand them with the logo. I want to see that logo on every head straining for the finish tape, every arm lifting weights, every leg in the gymnastics competition, and every butt playing beach volleyball or wrestling. Yeee-hawwww!

It looks like the word SHIT

SH

then

IT

Simply horrible.

Naff mid 80's Design

It looks like the bad record cover of an 80's trash pop group. So crap its unbelievable. My god, its an OMEN! The transport infrastructure's going to break! London wont cope! It'll be like a movie set for a badly designed 80's disaster movie - IN PINK!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Coward

Tiswas

They've just ripped off the 'Tiswas' logo.

The essence of the London 2012 Olympic Games

For sure they are going to end up with at least twice as innovative logo when the evolution is finished. Something like:

Truly an innovation and inspiration [for cheap design]. Taking the year and making a few modifications for 'iconic representation' is certainly a fine indicator of the dynamism and the skills of the artist.

(You may need get your tinfoil hat for this): Take the map of Britain. Can you identify Ireland and N.Ireland on the left and middle of the logo? good. On the right side England. Now for the fun part: The shape that most resembles Scotland is above Ireland, having been pushed off by the giant square of Olympic games. Conspiracy, no doubt. o.o

Anonymous Coward

Lisa Simpson

Unless the logo is changed I and many thousand others are going to snigger every time we see it (Lisa giving head to Bart) - which is good really because many thousand people didn't want the 2012 "Olympic Games" in the first place and had it imposed on them - so it's a great to see it's all finally going to sh1t very publicly. Of course the knob-cheeses that are in charge of this completely pointless, irrelevant and idiotic event will bluff and bluster their way through it, but in the meantime as someone has already pointed out, this trademarked official logo is never going to be adopted by people hoping to make merchandising money from this surely? J0k.

My 2c worth...

What a load of old socks! Its ugly and naff. Must be a hoax.

Anonymous Coward

seizures

looks like its caused seizures..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6724245.stm

A second logo

There is a new campaign for a second Olympic Logo to be designed by the public and voted for by the public!

Im sure it will cost less then £400,000 and get a better result too! Hopefully it will be something the British people can be proud of!!

The website at http://www.ChangeTheLogo.co.uk

Bronze badge

Re: A second logo

The Munich 72 logo looks crap too.... The palestinians must have though it looked like a bullseye...

That said, I think that the logo comittee should be given the choice to be put to death by stoning or being smeered in butter and roasted. A person should not be allowed to commit such a graphic upon the general public and live!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums