back to article Don't buy that phone! It ATTRACTS CRIMINALS, UK.gov will tell people

Home Secretary Theresa May announced this morning that the government plans to publish a mobile phone theft index to help Brits make informed decisions about what handsets to buy, based on which is the least likely to be nicked by wrongdoers. The cabinet minister revealed the proposal in a speech sploshed with pre-General …

Page:

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Prepare for the Government to be sued...

To out it another way, this is a table of which phones best hold their resale value - so sales of the nickable phones will probably rocket

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Devil

But that's what TTIP is for isn't it? Should we be looking out for a raft of new laws to further hasten the transfer of taxpayers' money into private pockets?

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Unintended consequences

> So when Manufacturer A. starts seeing its sales take a nosedive because this mad government is telling people not to buy their phones, they won't be a teeny bit cross?

Given how little government officials understand (a) technology (b) people (c) criminals it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if the publication of the most desirables list led to an upsurge in demand for those phones.

You can see the rationale: those phones get stolen most - therefore they *must* be the most desirable - therefore they are very fashionable - therefore I must have one. It may even go further: that having your highly desirable phone stolen becomes a badge of trendiness. Possibly even to the point where you don't wait until you want a different model before reporting it nicked: just to get a corporate replacement, or insurance payout.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let's be honest, the most likely phone to get nicked is going to be iphones, and whatever phone teenagers are given (often also an iphone).

Having a much nicked phone will be seen as a badge of desirability - which is kinda counter to the la-la land that May lives in.

How about she gives a kick to the plod so that when someone has tracking on their phone, those plod get off their fat backsides and chase it down immediately? Since its likely that a crim will be nicking more than one phone, that would actually cut the crime figures more than waffling will.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"like everything else this farce of a government ........"

Ha Ha. Better this farce of a government than the previous farce of a government!

6. Radio Wales

Is it reasonable to assume that, as people are expected to submit to being mugged daily by - not only - our own government - but also - by the US government as well, people might be getting desensitised to being mugged and accept it as just part of life?

After all, defending yourself from attack is still bordering on illegal isn't it?

1. Julian Taylor

Mobile Phone Theft Ratio

Knowing how the state works it is probably not an index per se. More likely to be an apathy index of how likely the cops are to deal with your reporting that you,

1) Lost your mobile

(response: can't help - try your operator)

2) Had it ... err .. stolen

3) REALLY, truly had it stolen

4) Someone hit me in the face with a baseball bat, raped my budgie and stole my iPhone

(response: can't help - call 999 for an ambulance then call your operator and would you like the RSPB emergency budgie counselling line?)

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Mobile Phone Theft Ratio

A downvote? I think somebody must have latent budgie-induced-trauma issues from their childhood.

2. Alien8n

Re: Mobile Phone Theft Ratio

This is dangerously near the truth...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29053978

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Demographics

And anyway, which phones get stolen will likely be at least as much a function of the demographics and lifestyle of their owners as it is to the model.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Demographics

Probably the sort of lifestyle that involves waving it around with the screen on beacon-like in a poorly lit street.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Here's an idea....

...trying funding crime prevention a little more, not crime detection. Crazy eh?

Y'now, those useless money eating things like, youth clubs, sports clubs, rehab clinics, homeless shelters, debt advice agency's, sure start centres, intervention teams, social services, adult education services, apprenticeship schemes.

Still harder to get a pie chart saying "we may of stopped 10,000 criminals" instead of "we locked up 1,000".

1. Chris G

Re: Here's an idea....

" Here's an idea....

...trying funding crime prevention a little more, not crime detection. Crazy eh?"

I know this is a crazy sort of off the wall idea that will be laughed at and treated with derision but what if they actually had policemen walking the beats they normally drive around in their cars?

You know like in the olden days when crime was lower.

And of course bring back birching for offenders and make prison sentences harder with rock breaking and no pay, telephone time, TV time or any food better than cold porridge.

Well I meant the bit about beat coppers!.

1. Tom 38

what if they actually had policemen walking the beats they normally drive around in their cars?

How would they do their usual "you're walking funny in a hoody, so I'm going to drive alongside you at walking pace for the entire length of the street just to fuck with you" move if they aren't in a car though?

I shouldn't complain though, a) they're probably reading b) at least I'm not black, which seems to mean you get the drive by followed by a stop'n'search.

1. Vic

How would they do their usual "you're walking funny in a hoody, so I'm going to drive alongside you at walking pace for the entire length of the street just to fuck with you" move if they aren't in a car though?

The last "interaction" I had with the Police, they stopped to see if I was dead. When they found out I wasn't, they gave me a lift home.

It's good to be an old fart sometimes[1].

Vic.

[1] Especially when you've been on the sherbert :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Y'now, those useless money eating things like, youth clubs, sports clubs, rehab clinics, homeless shelters, debt advice agency's, sure start centres, intervention teams, social services, adult education services, apprenticeship schemes."

Nulab tried that for ten years without too much obvious success, and as a result of the Cowalition's failure to make any worthwhile cuts the national debt is still rising by £100 billion quid each and every year (over £11m per hour).

How much more money do you want to spend on schemes trying to distract the feckless and where will it come from?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"How much more money do you want to spend on schemes trying to distract the feckless and where will it come from?"

Take the money of detaining one young offender for 1 year.

Now look at the price of running a youth club for a year, that takes 100+ kids off the street.

You may be surprised.

And it does work. The one I help run reduced the Anti social reports from 50+ in 1 year, to 0, that's right..ZERO.

The flip side, we no longer have a community support officer..

4. Zog_but_not_the_first

Just the beginning

Why stop at phones? How about a regular review on the "nickability" of all kinds of stuff along the lines of Which??. It could incorporate Amazon's buying analysis (people who nicked this also nicked... etc.)

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Just the beginning

..complete with a link to ebay so you can buy a stol^^^^second hand one for yourself.

1. Elmer Phud

Does that mean that as well as a 'watch' option there will be a 'wishlist' where potential sellers can browse customers?

2. SonnyJimm

I'm waiting for a 'nickable' index for monetary denomination.

5. Jagged.Shard

Reducing theft of mobile devices

Me: I'd like to report the theft of my mobile phone.

Police: I'm sorry, we can only make a report of this as 'Lost in the street'.

Me: No, it was stolen from my jacket pocket whilst sitting at a cafe.

Police: We can only make a report of this as 'Lost in the Street'

----------------

Laugh? This really happened!

That's the way to reduce/skew crime statistics. I'm sure that the local

crime figures for pickpocket type thefts are probably one of the lowest

in the country.

Way to go!!

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Reducing theft of mobile devices

"Police: We can only make a report of this as 'Lost in the Street'"

Now, now.

Our overstretched and underfunded police farce have orders to tick specific boxes depending on yesterday's Daily Mail.

If the only box left on the sheet to tick is 'Lost in Street' they get in to deep shit if they try to bugger with the expected/promised/'my bounus depends on this you bastards' results.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Reducing theft of mobile devices

".... orders to tick specific boxes.."

One of the (many) issues around the failure to stop those 1400 kids being abused in Rotherham, that have been in our headlines all week, was that the agencies didn't want to record anything that would upset their figures. And that was for the most serious and horrible of crimes. So reporting someone nicking a phone isn't going to impress anyone if there are targets to be met.

6. graeme_from_IT
    WTF?

One Emergency Service ?

"So in policing in the future, I believe we will need to work towards the integration of the three emergency services."

WHAT - sorry guv'nor I'm the "emergency respondant with a speciality in cardiac arrests" and not the "emergency respondant with a speciality in counter-terrorism" - so if that guy with the gun and the machette gave you a heart-attack, then I'm your man, other wise - oops...

1. Elmer Phud

Re: One Emergency Service ?

It's the Paramedic that turns up to get Tibbles out of a tree using a semi-automatic that concerns me.

7. big_D Silver badge
    Facepalm

Most likely to be stolen ==

coolest phone...

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Most likely to be stolen ==

or just the most common phone in current use among those who are more likely to be in thief-friendly locations.

Which means that the BLOODY BIG BUTTON phone that is used by the elderly who don't tend to go out on Friday nights or stumble around drunk on the streets will be the least likely phone to be stolen.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Popularity list?

The list of cars most likely to be stolen in raw numbers are the most popular, like a Ford Focus. Thieves might rather steal a $80K Mercedes, but there are fewer of those so fewer will be stolen.

The same will be true for phones. No matter what Apple does with activation lock, the iPhone will probably top the list because a couple of models of iPhone will always top the sales lists for any given year. Samsung and other Android makers are spreading their sales amongst a much larger array of models, so any one will be well down the list.

What good is a list that reads like:

iPhone 5S

iPhone 5C

iPhone 5

Galaxy S5

Galaxy S4

Galaxy S3

Note 3

etc.?

Other than making Windows Phone and Blackberry owners feel unjustifiably smug in their purchase decisions, that is? :)

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Popularity list?

"Other than making Windows Phone and Blackberry owners feel unjustifiably smug in their purchase decisions, that is? :)"

But, but -- we were told that the 'riots' were orchestrated by using BBM.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's all sorted, nowadays you can do BBM on a stolen iPhone. Technology eventually catches up with consumer demand.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Windows Phone and Blackberry owners feel unjustifiably smug

As in:

Nobody wants to steal my Windows phone! Ditto my grey Clarks vinyl shoes, my North Face backpack stuffed with Cobol manuals, my bifocal glasses with one cracked lens, and my dandruff-flecked knock-off Barbour.

It's the new normcore

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"No matter what Apple does with activation lock..."

Doesn't seem to work because the phones can still be reactivated somehow and onsold.

9. Elmer Phud

Homosexual foreign cats reported to maybe use the ISS to hack cars!

as title

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Failure of the imagination.

With a still-large deficit and a record stock of debt, there will need to be further spending cuts, as even Labour acknowledge.

Record stock of debt? SELL IT!

I foresee the instrument of "Collateral Cop Obligations". It sounds good.

11. OB1212

Police forces tell us that recent rises in theft from the person, for example, were in part driven by the theft of smart phones by organised criminal gangs. These gangs targeted specific venues, like concerts and festivals, to steal smart phones on a massive scale. The phones were then often sent overseas where they are reactivated and sold.

This is not news to most of law enforcement, this has been happening at MEN, O2 and Wembley for at least 6 years. Plod has just told the Home Sec to give her a credible line for next May - it is HISTORY

12. Yugguy

How about

I kick the living crap out of whichever poor little scrote tries to nick my phone?

Ah yes, I forgot, I'd be arrested for violating his human rights.

13. The Grump
    FAIL

Simple... go retro !

Demand that manufacturers start reproducing those old cell phones the size of an Oxford dictionary, with the huge lead / acid battery. That was my very first cell phone. And they would be very hard to hide if stolen. Just a handset and a keypad - no user accessable memory, no fancy screen, no apps, just PHONE !

I still want a cell phone with a rotary dial. It's sooooo retro !

14. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

If the government wants to reduce the national debt, why don't they just, erm, spend less money?

I know it's a bit naive, but that's kinda what you have to do.

They could stop giving so friggin' much of it to the EU and squiffing it away on foreign misguided military interventions. That would save a few quid.

15. Daniel Bower

Surely we need more data...

I may be barking up the wrong tree but surely the theft rate of any given phone is a function of its popularity and nothing to do with desirability.

I very much doubt (unless Ms May and Co have data to the contrary) that your average yoof out on a mugger spree goes up to their unfortunate victim and asks ''scuze me pal - what phone you rockin'?'. 'A Samusng E2600 - you poor old chap that's not even a smart phone. Sorry top trouble you, on your way...'

I know of three people who have been mugged for their phone and the perps simply said 'Give us your phone or we'll knife you'. They find out the quality of the phone after the event.

So, if there are 10m of phone X in use and only 200,000 of phone Y in use then phone X will come out top of the charts so the whole concept is flawed.

It has far more to do with time of day, location etc than type of phone. Complete waste of time...

16. John Savard
    Facepalm

Groan

"They might use sophisticated devices to "grab" the security coding when the owner uses their key so they can use it themselves."

What, electronic car keys don't use a secure challenge-response protocol?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh here we go again, more change of the police, schools and NHS because apparently only change can make it better, erm, make headlines. I can understand politicians wanting to change things, who wants to say: "I sailed this ship for 5 years and it was very uneventful, we didn't so much as once run into rough seas because I sailed us around them in plenty of time".

The trouble is the great unwashed buy into this "The NHS / Police / Army / Schools / Other is broken and we need to reform it" rubbish. This constant change is killing our public services and costing us a fortune at the same time. How many successful businesses fundamentally reorganize themselves from top to bottom every fives year? Exactly none. Leave them alone for a bit to get their bearings, ten years should do it, and then carefully look at small areas where improvements could be made.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Absolutely, and I add, no one ever got good headlines in the Mail by saying that things are going quite well really.

18. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Alternatively

You could keep your phone out of sight, and just use a bluetooth headset ?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like