back to article Reg man looks through a Glass, darkly: Google's toy ploy or killer tech specs?

Seldom has a device been so reviled and praised at the same time. But is Google Glass the future of wearable connectivity or simply the toy of the self-appointed tech elite? Is it perhaps something in between? I’m by no means an early adopter of gadgetry. I buy kit only when can I see a clear use for it and I don’t …

Page:

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Eye choice

I'm sure I read that Google do a left eye version. After all, pirates might want to be usin' Glass. Sat-nav be so much easier for findin' yer buried dubloons. You needs it when yer parrot has pecked out yer starboard eye, aye.

Coat

Apple's alternative is of course called the iPatch...

2. Peter Simpson 1
        Pirate

"'twas me first day with tha hook...."

Arrrrr!

1. eJ2095

y bother

Still to bulky for my liking, maybe in ten years

2. Whitter
    Devil

Re unbending legs

It's a feature: you aren't meant to take them off. Ever.

Happy

Re: Re unbending legs

Surely they're arms? After all, you fold your arms, not even yoga masters can fold their legs flat...

2. Eltonga
      Devil

Re: Re unbending legs

I've been told that when you put GG for first time you hear something like: *garbled* Resistance is futile... prepare to be assimilated.

3. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

The killer app for these

will be when there is a framework that makes it easy for the likes of iFixit & Haynes to publish their guides for it. I can see a hell of a market as a golf range finder too.

4. stu 4

Daily show got it spot on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvI9fZaz6M

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Couple of questions

Alun,

Did you have a problem where all the info was going to one eye, so all that one-eyed reading gave you a headache? Or were you not using it much at any one time? It was what I first thougth of when you mentioned using it to watch video.

On that photo you took when driving, with sat-nav displayed, is that the real apparent size of the text in your visual field? Or have Google made that little insert bigger in the photos than it looks in real life? I think Glass could be a brilliant tool, mainly for travelling. I'm not interested in checking my emails while walking down the street, but to be able to use sat-nav and look up info on public transport while wandering London would be very useful. As well as seeing texts from whoever I'm meeting. But my eyesight is rubbish, so I'm interested in how big the text is. I can just about read subtitles on a 50" telly at 6-8 feet (no chance on a 26"). But then subtitles may be a smaller font size than the equivalent Google use on Glass. I hope.

1. Al Taylor

Re: Couple of questions

Re. getting a headache, surprisingly not. I longest I had them on continuously was just over two hours (while driving) and though I expected a headache, none arrived.

In regard to the vignette with the satnav showing, the navigation box actually appears a little larger than that by a factor of about x 1.5. Also, as you move your head to the left and/or down the box appears to move more into the centre of your line of sight.

Incidentally I wear contacts (+2.25 left, +2.5 right) but found that this caused no issues with Glass.

Thanks for that. It's a lot bigger than I was expecting then.

One thing I liked the idea of using it for was for reading signs. Hopefully the camera can magnify live images (I assume it acts as a viewfinder). Otherwise take snap of train departure board, then magnify and read. Although you can often go online and get stuff so that you don't have to read signs now - most train apps tell you the platform. That probably doesn't work in airports though, where a monocular comes in handy, and Google Glass could be rather useful. These places do like to put vital information on signs 20 foot up in the air. Which guarantees you can never get close enough to read them.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Does it restrict your peripheral vision? It looks like it does in a couple of the photo's

1. Al Taylor

Not as you'd notice despite the way it looks. You are aware that there is "something" lurking above your right eyebrow but you soon forget it's there as you would a thick pair of spectacle frames.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Bit feeble

It needs to be about x 3 resolution

optionally both eyes

Less obtrusive and the electronics demountable from holder and mountable on ANY spec frame.

Can it use a battery & feature expansion pack styled like a phone/MP3 player/pocket radio with cord only needed for power? If not, why not.

Needs to be configurable for any services including your own home server. I'm never EVER going to buy a "walled garden" gadget again. It becomes a brick if vendor loses interest or goes bust. At least my Kindle can be used still if Amazon vanishes, though its "Share" feature is stupidity as it only works with Twitter or Facebook, but at least the notes can be read as text via USB storage (but missing context!).

The Glass appears to be uselessly Google centric and invasive to privacy of the user. (who has really just taken out a lease rather than actually buying a gadget.

7. russell 6
    Joke

Does it understand Scottish?

http://youtu.be/sAz_UvnUeuU

8. dotdavid

Glass vs Wear

I've seen discussions that people with both Glass and Android Wear (the "smart" watches) say that basically the latter does for a couple of hundred quid what the former does for a grand, i.e. easy-access notifications and access to Google Now. Does El Reg have plans for a Wear review?

9. Yugguy

Video streaming while driving.

Nope, can't see a problem with that. ?!??!!?

10. andy gibson

car

Don't really care about Google Glass, but is that a door wedge on your driver's window glass?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: car

> Don't really care about Google Glass, but is that a door wedge on your driver's window glass?

My guess is it's there to jam a dodgy electric window in place.

1. AceRimmer

This is what happens when you use ad blockers on el reg

won't someone think of the journos?

2. Al Taylor

Yup, spot on,.

2. Phil W

Oddly the door wedge is the thing I noticed most to.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" this whole "glasshole" brouhaha is little more than a media invention"

El Reg you mean ;)

12. Maty

a thought ...

If they made a version with a screen on right and left eyes, could they tweak it to get full 3-D?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Where do I put this thing when I'm not wearing it?"

The reason Google didn't make it fold up so would be easy to keep with you while not wearing is that they want you to wear it all the time.

14. Chris G

Massive realtime IP metadata analysis

If it is not already being applied through CCTV then a back door into glass if it became ubiquitous may be useful for someone.

Personally I have always considered over surveillance of the population as open to misuse.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely you should let that fellow in the top photo go back to his day job as the Kray's getaway driver?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting,

For me the only use for it is navigation. Would be useful in the car. Google should make a Sport version for cyclists. Make it water proof, a head band so it doesn't fall off. Perfect for a long cycle tour. It would need to be much cheaper though.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like