back to article Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4: 4G Android tablet is easy to swallow

If by the size of its TV ad campaign shall ye know it, then the Galaxy Tab S is clearly a Very Big Deal to Samsung. I get the impression the Tab S range is Sammy’s most determined effort yet to convince people that its Android tablets are not just better than anyone else’s, but better also than Apple’s iPad alternatives. …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Elephant in the room

"Is the battery replaceable??"

How about you google that, and tell the rest of us?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

If it's anything like my Galaxy 8.9 then no, the battery isn't replaceable. I'm sort of ambivalent on this for tablets as I can understand the design constraints. My 3 year old device still easily gives me 2 days use (as long as it's not being used as a hotspot). Methinks capacity is declining but it's still totally acceptable and I love the form factor.

In the nearly 20-odd years that I've had a mobile phone I've only ever once replaced the battery but I have had at least three phones where I had to do something to keep the battery connected - having to remove a battery in order to change a SIM card is a design fault in my view.

3. Al Taylor

No it's not. I took that as read but in retrospect should have clarified the point.

1. Marcus Aurelius

Tab S 8.4 Model Numbers

There appears to be a series of tables with T-700/705 model numbers and some with T-320/325

Are some Galaxy Tab Pro whilst others are Galaxy Tab S.

Whats the difference?

Update: I think I've just self edumacated myself - see http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsung-galaxy-tab-vs-note-vs-pro/

2. Nate Amsden

Let me at that battery

I drained my note 3's big battery by 40% in 20mins with vpn, citrix reciever and skype on LTE not long ago. Video doesnt hit the battery much I assume because its almost all GPU.

Im sure battery isnt the most efficient these days as the phone spends about 18 hrs a day charging on one of a few inductive chargers that I have.

When will tablets get wireless charging? Or maybe there are some other than the HP touchpads (of which I have 3 one is unopened -got 5 at fire sale decided to keep that one wrapped up. Two other android 7 and 8" tablets go unused just not big enough relative to phone to be useful for me)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Let me at that battery

I think you should get that device looked at though persistent data connections will hammer any device: I seem to remember some law where data speeds correlate quadratically with power use.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Very Tempted

Good review.

I've got a three-year old Galaxy 8.9 which I bought at the time for the form factor – it's as wide as an I-pad so watching video on it is the same but without the black bars above and below but at 450g it was significantly lighter. At the time I was very tempted by the AMOLED 7.7 but decided to go with the 8.9 for the screen estate. I've been waiting for an AMOLED version since then. I think this might just have to be my Christmas present… though it will have to be rooted to remove all the crapware. Fortunately, rooting Samsung devices is pretty easy.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

Good hardware companies have always gotta crap on the software

Why doesn't Samsung stick to what they're good at, leave the OS to Google, and get rid of Touchwiz so I can buy one?

1. Peter 48

Re: Good hardware companies have always gotta crap on the software

probably because it allows them to offer core features that vanilla android doesn't support such as multi-window and contact merging from multiple sources.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aspect ratio > resolution

I'd strongly consider this, except that the 16x10 aspect ratio is too narrow to read tech PDF books on in portrait mode (my main use). An ipad mini is 4x3, which means I can read most cropped books in portrait mode on the 8" screen.

I don't care about the pixel density once it's above about 175 or so. Higher numbers tend to mean slower performance and lower battery life anyway.

1. Peter 48

Re: Aspect ratio > resolution

are these american based books per chance? the Imperial page sizing favours the squatter 4:3 ratio whilst the european sizes are more rectangular, making them more suitable for the 16:10 ratio.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like