back to article Running the Gauntlet: Atari's classic ... now and then

Rumours of a new version of the Atari classic Gauntlet at E3 took me straight back to the arcade circa 1985. I remember being dwarfed as a preteen by the fearsome presence of Gauntlet’s massive cabinet. It dominated the arcade and the rest of the machines in the room with its huge screen and impressive multicoloured keypad. …

Page:

1. Nick Woodruffe

about time it was revived

I still play both Gauntlet and Gauntlet II on MAME with my daughters and even the neighbours when they pop round for a cuppa.

The game still has legs and having no ending means you just keep going until bored or passed out.

Gauntlet Legends in the arcade didn't seem to catch on and my Mame box doesn't have the horsepower to simulate it properly at the moment. Really looking forward to this new version for the PC.

Who remembers the space themed game that was also similar as a 4 player with health requiring constant 10p input? I forget it's name but in Swindon the local arcade had this and Gauntlet.

1. Jim 59

Re: about time it was revived

Who remembers the space themed game that was also similar as a 4 player with health requiring constant 10p input? I forget it's name but in Swindon the local arcade had this and Gauntlet.

Sounds awfully like Quartet, a game I am often banging on about in here. Out at the same time as Gauntlet, was a 4 player sideways scroller with a space/monster theme. Boss at the end of every level. 4 players with different weapons. Also top fun on MAME.

2. Duffy Moon

It always amazed me how people had enough money to play these things for hours - especially children. I had a job and couldn't afford to play for long!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"especially children"

Paper rounds, pocket money and the occasional car washing for Dad, plus not having a mortgage and bills to pay helped too I guess.

3. RealBigAl

"Team work is essential.

Each character has their own health meter but must use gold from a central pot to restore it. Come over all n000b and your mates are going to have to pay up, so snarf as much loot as possible so you can pay your way."

Well that sucks. One of the fun things about the original (after a while) was stunning your allies an leaving them to fight the on rushing hordes. "You don't have to be faster than the evil dudes, just faster than the slowest member of the party."

4. 1Rafayal

Gauntlet 4 on the megadrive will always be my favourite

5. rich_r

I once found a mint condition half crown (~25p) in the coin reject slot of Gauntlet in the arcade at a local fair in the late 1980s. I guess someone was so desperate to keep going that they started desperately pumping in pre-decimal currency.

6. Corborg

Wizard needs food

Why would you compare Gauntlet (1985) to Streets of Rage (1991)?

Anyhow, Gauntlet was great, I built my own mini version a few years back: http://minicade.blogspot.co.uk/

7. Bottle_Cap

One of the few later day arcase ports for the Atari 800XL - played it to death! Graphics were a bit arse but still...

8. LucreLout

Loved the original arcade version

I first discovered Gauntlet in an amusement arcade when I was about 6 or 7 - Spirit in the sky was riding high in the charts.

My brother & I must have spent half the family holiday chucking 10p pieces into that thing. No game has come close to capturing that multi-player fun factor for me, with the sole exception of Double Dragon, which we discovered on a subsequent family holiday.

I'll be buying this, even though I have little time for games these days (family holidays are with a child of my own now), purely for nostalgia value. For full marks, they should bundle it with a port of the original arcade game.

1. Lord Lien
      Childcatcher

Re: Loved the original arcade version

Double Dragon was one of the few games I could do on one credit! That & Golden Axe, both easy games to clock. :)

9. Douglas Crockford

Dandy

Gauntlet was inspired by Dandy, an Atari 800 game by Jack Palevich.

10. Jim Keir
    Facepalm

Warrior needs Valkyrie.... badly.

11. Jagged

Used to play this in Chistlehurst Caves dressed in Furs wielding rubber swords ;)

12. Mark Pitchless

Elf needs health!

13. Zot

I could play Gauntlet for 3 hours...

...on ONE ten pence piece.

And I don't feel sad about it at all.

14. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I played it on the CPC I think. Have to admit it was great fun although there could be arguments if the players tried to explore too far on their own. Eventually someone had to agree to turn round and go back.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Oh yes. I'd forgotten that! Running quickly down another passage, after your brother had gone through a door into a room full of nasties. If you did it fast enough, he could no longer retreat through the door and snipe at them as they came through, he ended up in the melee. Ooops.

15. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Apart from bug blatting space invaders I was never into these 'killer' games but preferred slower puzzle based ones. The only thing that I ever really obsessed over was much later - Sim City {quiver}

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I loved the original. I think 2000 was okay but the more recent ones introduced micro-management and got rid of water and/or power management (I forget which). SC was always an excellent time-sink. Hours could fly by without you realising.

16. AshRid

Red Wizard has tripped over his skirt!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hammerwatch!

For anyone interested, there's also a game on STEAM called Hammerwatch, which is pretty much a "spiritual successor" (by which there are bonus levels which are extremely similar (nudge nudge) to Gauntlet levels) and it's pretty much the same deal - choose a class, kill massive swarms of enemies, collect loot and find the secrets. I've already put 50 hours on it on steam, and it's an absolute blast when you get a few friends together.

18. GoatHerder

Some things never change

Gauntlet was the only arcade game I ever "mastered". There was a machine at the store I worked at in high school, so I spent way too much playing during and after work. I got to the point that I could play for hours on one quarter. I would only die when some dumb kid would jump into my game and screw things up. Kinda defeated the whole "social" aspect of the game. Actually, I play SWTOR now, and again, it's dumb kids screwing up my game!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I loved this game...

I used to love this in the arcades. The fact that, quite often, random strangers would play on the available joysticks just made it even better.

I had this on the Atari ST too and it was a pretty good conversion. Would love to have a cabinet and try this out again.

20. Alistair Dabbs

My flatmate used to play this...

... when we were Uni students in the mid-1980s. I never understood the bloody thing but I guess he had more patience. He's now a financial director somewhere earning shitloads. So at least I got the last laugh... no, hang on, that's not right, is it?

21. Carney3

Pentagram on splash screen

The new version's splash screen features four icons under the Gauntlet logo, each clearly meant to correspond to one of the four characters. One of them is a pentagram, apparently meant as the logo for the wizard (still called Merlin?) What an unwise choice. The pentagram is widely viewed as a pagan or even Satanic symbol, not only by many Christians but also by many self-proclaimed pagans and "Satanists". Unnecessarily provocative and controversial, even offensive. Why do something so off-putting and sour the debut of the latest installment of a popular and fondly viewed franchise?

DON'T BOTHER RESPONDING WITH HOW IT DOESN'T BOTHER YOU, OR WITH ATTACKS ON CHRISTIANS. Both are irrelevant.

1. Chris Hunt

Re: Pentagram on splash screen

Christians shouldn't be playing the Wizard character anyway:

Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards - Leviticus 19:31

So the pentagram acts as a handy reminder.

Unless it's just a game, of course

22. This post has been deleted by its author

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3D aspect kills the remake. there's no real need for it.

24. Børge Nøst

Gauntlet and Marble Madness: Proof positive that lightning can strike twice at the same place.

Atari Games (and their earlier incarnation) were just mindbogglingly good.

25. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon