back to article The final score: Gramophones 1 – Glassholes 0

What do the following have in common: a hand holding a half-litre carton of milk, the back of a balding head, a grinning selfie taken in a mirror and a wonky street scene with nothing of any interest going on? That’s right, it’s your life – courtesy of Google Glass. A number of colleagues have spent the last few weeks playing …

Page:

1. James O'Shea

Hmm

"rendered on a top-secret Ryanair flight from Stansted to a five-year waterboarding holiday at Guantanamo."

They might do the logical thing and just keep you on Ryanair. Or save some money and merely not let you out of Stansted.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Hmm

It's not that they won't let you out of Stansted, just that there aren't any signs. Or if there are, they're incredibly well hidden.

Funnily enough I was watching a program on architecture the other day, that claimed it was the best airport designed up to that time. Although I guess that is rather like being offered the choice of smallpox or ebola.

2. breakfast Silver badge

May contain flashing lights and strong colours

I really hope there is some way to exploit Glass using a carefully contrived set of flashing lights pointed at the camera. It would open the door to all kinds of hilarious and disconcerting pranks.

3. Decade
    Boffin

Admit it - You think it would be useful

A lot of the pictures are going to be banal, but sometimes it would be convenient to have a camera immediately available to capture illegal actions. I commute by bike, and so many times I wish I could capture pictures of people cutting me off, or blocking the bike lane and the pedestrian walkway.

Though, to make it work well, it must be recording all the time. Like Steve Mann's camera. Google Glass is so far behind Steve Mann it's ridiculous. There's way more of Mann's philosophy on his blog.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Admit it - You think it would be useful

A lot of the pictures are going to be banal, but sometimes it would be convenient to have a camera immediately available to capture illegal actions. I commute by bike, and so many times I wish I could capture pictures of people cutting me off, or blocking the bike lane and the pedestrian walkway.

A lot of cyclists in London already have helmet mounted cameras. Which will provide useful defence evidence for when I finally lose my temper after yet another two-wheeled tosser rides through a red light while I'm crossing the road.

2. Zack Mollusc

Cyclists wearing Google Glass? Jeepers, aren't they satisfied with never looking behind them, they want to never bother to look what is in front of them?

They should lump bicycles in with mopeds, get some mirrors, indicators, number plates and protective clothing on them and have the bastards learn the traffic laws.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Irrespective of anything else, many thanks for those links. You're right - Meta's product appears to make Google's look like a child's toy, and to be far more useful and usable. I'd actually consider giving Meta Glass a try, once the price came down to something mere mortals can afford. Not so Google's Glass. What's not to like about glasses (bearing in mind I wear glasses anyway as I don't get on with contact lenses) that allow one to bring up a virtual computer or phone and use it pretty much like a real one, barring the lack of haptic feedback?

4. Timo

Nobody has figured out how to jam the camera?

Where is the anti-glasshole technology? I thought it was possible to jam video cameras with infrared transmitters, and movie studios were doing it to thwart people who were taking a videocam into the theatre to pirate movies, videocams being sensitive to light just outside of the visible band.

Wouldn't it be possible to make a hat studded with IR LED's or something and have it generate a confusing IR field that would disrupt the Glass's camera? It would kind of be like wearing your own Glass disruption field. Or the entire bar could be fitted with some kind of IR jamming device (think super bright lamps with filters installed that only pass IR.)

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Nobody has figured out how to jam the camera?

Wearing clothes made of this stuff should pretty much do it.

You're welcome.

5. Chris G

Quick! close that door and don't let the horse back in.

Anyone worrying about their image being captured by Glassholes should have been taking precautions for quite some time already, the number of phones out there being used with cameras is in the billions. Somewhere i am sure is a recorded number of how many pics and videos are taken daily world wide, there can be few of us who have not been recorded unknowingly, especially if you live in a big city or a place like Ibiza full of tourists where I live.

Fortunately for me the plastic surgery,sunglasses, wig and false leg seem to be helpful in hiding my true identity.

My objections to Glass are the head twitching, talking to the air and general dorkiness, when everybody else is a dork I may consider joining them.

I remember when cell phones were a new thing; anyone standing or walking in the street talking to a black house brick was considered a twat! It's not so bad being that twat when you are one of millions.

6. -v(o.o)v-

Bravo Dabbsy

Well done, sir. Invoking the immortal BR quote was the cherry on the top.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

perfect alighnemnt

with facebook, twitter, etc.

8. Stevie

Bah!

What a shame there's no way to force the camera to shut down if one points at you.

But then, I said that when I saw the first cell phone equipped with one.

Stevie's Law: As the tech gets more intelligent, the people who buy it get dumberer.

Same ole say mole.

9. Fihart

So right about the record player.

Your record player example clearly applies to mobile phone -- screen too small for internet, keyboard too small for typing, music player doesn't support folders, mapping which should work with GPS wants expensive data feed as well. Takes a sixty page manual to explain it all (if you're lucky).

When I find a toaster that also makes coffee without compromising either function or second guessing (wrongly) whether I take sugar or not, I might take smartphones more seriously.

1. Zack Mollusc

Re: So right about the record player.

I bought an N95 and much later an HTC One X precisely because the map data was built in and didn't need a data connection.

The N95 needed a software patch and this removed the map data.

The HTC One X had a patch pushed to it which removed the map data (or removed the app, can't remember).

1. John H Woods Silver badge

>>map data was built in and didn't need a data connection.

Check out OSMAnd, it's surprisingly good.

1. Zack Mollusc

Oooooh, I shall. Thank you.

10. StimuliC

don't want Mike Elgan to read this

The king of glassholes would be on a rant against the register. He thinks that anyone that doesn't own Google glass is a Luddite.

11. Morat

How many youtube hits?

I want to see the video of people learning to use a 60s record player!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ever read "The Utopia Experiment", part of Robert ludlum's Covert One series? If not then read it, it's the future of google glass

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not only did he predict the future, he did it several years after he died. Spooky!

13. hotslot

not all bad

Glass does have some interesting ideas, that are pretty revolutionary :

All your conversations are recorded, logged, converted to text, and indexed into a database.

This database then becomes your 'offline memory'.

This database can then be real-time cross referenced with the current conversation / query.

In normal-speak this means that the phrase 'I never said that' will become redundant.

THIS IS THE FUTURE.

not the glasses, but the IDEA of recording everything that happens to you.

as a memory-aid.

14. lucki bstard

The idea could almost be like the movie The Final Cut, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364343/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_31)

Everything you see and do is recorded for you and after you die those images are edited to tell your life story.

Interesting film on the whole

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like