back to article BT at last coughs to 'major outage' after broadband went titsup across UK on Sat

BT was hit by a huge DNS outage on Saturday morning but the telecoms giant was very slow to respond to customer complaints, it has been claimed. A DNS flaw downed BT's network across Blighty, according to anecdotal reports on Twitter. But the one-time state monopoly was very sluggish to respond to gripes from subscribers who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. herman

Awww come-on, that picture with the story headline was titsdown...

2. Peter 26

When looking into it on Saturday I saw that there was two major routers with issues. One was a BT router in telehouse, the other was a Demon router (I don't recall the location, probably telehouse too). That might explain the virgin media issues some were having? I'm not sure who owns Demon now, but I thought they had some links to Cable & Wireless...

Anyway after getting a banned from CS:GO due to the network issues making me abandon a game, and figured out who to blame, I decided to go out and mow the lawn.

3. JMB

A couple of years ago when we had a major network fault in this area, BT Internet did not seem to have system to recognise that they were getting lots of complaints and the complaints did not seem to be passed on by the Indian call centre. Whatever you say to the call centre they just put you through the standard series of tests to prove your router is faulty which can take an hour so many people do not bother calling them. In that case the network monitoring did not detect the fault and they seemed to have nothing to detect a drop in activity on the network.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNS or routing?

I run a ping test to internal and external servers and site, both from within work and without. Pings work -> internal (incuding vpn to datacentre) and external sites using URL and IP addresses all worked throughout. Pinging from home via Infinity to the externally available equivalents showed a mix of sites being found and not found, using both URLs and IP addresses (which absolves DNS issues?). reference sites like BBC were ok. This kicked off at 9:21, giving me the impression we had a problem in the office as I could not ping our London-based sites, but could ping the datacentre ones (Milton Keynes). I eventually remoted onto a PC in Swansea that uses TalkTalk - that had no issues with the sites I could not reach. My mobile phone connected fine as well with 3G (not so when using my WiFi connection).

I guess I changed my local PC to Google DNS just as it was fixed, so I'm not convinced as to what the real issue was.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like