back to article Greenpeace rejoices after getting huge renewable powerplant cancelled

Greenpeace activists are celebrating today, after their protests led to the halting of plans to build a massive renewable powerplant which would have supplied clean, green, low-carbon electricity in huge quantities. "Today, we celebrate," Greenpeace chief Matías Asún told reporters, following a decision to withdraw government …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
        1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: And who will not be happy

@ ~Spartacus:

If it's good enough for Jonathan Swift...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"'I'd like to take each and every member of the 'environmentalist' lobby, strip them naked, and dump them "

Don't tar all enviromentalists with the greenpeace brush. Greenpeace jumped the shark years ago and now they're just a left wing anti-everything political movement. But they're are organisations like Friends of the Earth who do have a reasonable point of view and don't want to ban anything invented after 1800.

1. The Axe

FoE are worse that Greenpeace, if that's possible. They are both fascist organisations that want to control how we get our energy and think they know best about how to run the world.

Look at bio-diesel. They were all for it initially. Now that it's been shown to be a pile of poo, they are against it.

Everything GP and FoE touch is eventually seen to be a lie.

Look at the debacle with the oil rigs in the North Sea where GP campaigned to not have them sunk but rather dismantled at shore. Turns out that GP lied and that it would not have been a problem to sink the oil rig. In fact it would have created a nice reef for the fishes.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"They are both fascist organisations"

I suggest before you start spouting moronic off the shelf student rhetoric you at least get a clue first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

" think they know best about how to run the world."

Unlike governments and corporations who obviously DO know best, right? Oh , wait...

1. Lamont Cranston

If people checked their facts before yelling "fascism", Godwin would be wrong, and we'd never know that an arguement had run its course.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Mike Godwin's law only applies to Nazis, not fascists in general. When Hillary Clinton compares Putin to Hitler, that's a perfect Godwin*. But if she compared him to Mussolini - who wasn't 100% evil and at least tried to sort out the Italian mess - that would still be wrong, but could be a legitimate argument.

*In fact Putin compares himself to Charles de Gaulle, who gets a better press than Hitler, Mussolini or Franco despite having been not much better than either of the last two. Being called a fascist seems to depend on where, and when, you happen to have been in power.

2. The Axe

Look up the meaning of the word "fascist" in a dictionary - "a person who is dictatorial"

1. Oninoshiko

if someone has to look up "fascist," I'm guessing they would also have to look up "dictatorial"

2. John Hughes

"Look at bio-diesel. They were all for it initially. Now that it's been shown to be a pile of poo, they are against it."

I don't understand. You're complaining because they changed their policies to fit the facts?

1. Polyphonic
              Facepalm

Therein lies the problem with the pseudo science and mythology which these organisations base their opinions.

When they were banging on about using bio fuels the potential problems were highlighted but the green lobby won the day.

Now we are committed to a percentage of bio based fuel in petrol throughout the EU and it is harder to wind this out than it is to put it in to law.

2. The Axe

They didn't change their policies when the facts changed, the facts have always been constant. What caused them to change their policies is the realisation that they were causing problems. So they quickly buried the fact that they were for it.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

In the US, a Republican who changes his or her mind to fit reality is called a "flopper". It is not a complimentary term. In the minds of far too many people, consistency is more important than accepting reality.

3. chrisf1

FoE once tried to get the UK to ban glass recycling. They were supporting a naive banning of lead on a simple parts per million basis from the Packaging and Packaging waste directive with no regard to its perversities.

4. Old Tom

"Look at the debacle with the oil rigs in the North Sea where GP campaigned to not have them sunk but rather dismantled at shore. Turns out that GP lied and that it would not have been a problem to sink the oil rig. In fact it would have created a nice reef for the fishes."

I emailed Greenpeace at the time suggesting the rig(s) would make a nice reef. They never bothered to reply.

2. Risky
          Coat

" 'I'd like to take each and every member of the 'environmentalist' lobby, strip them naked, and dump them "

Don't tar all enviromentalists "

He never said he was going to tar them let alone reach for the feathers..............

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Having said that, producing tar presumably isn't very environment friendly and neither is obtaining the feathers... :D

2. Midnight

"until we're all living in caves, killing our own sausages."

Once, herds of wild sausages a hundred thousand strong thundered across the prairies, shaking the earth and crushing whatever lay in their path.

The majestic sausage played a significant part in the early history and culture of Europe. Otto von Bismarck attributed his keen understanding of politics to having spent his youth watching wild sausages during mating season.

1. Irony Deficient

The majestic sausage

Midnight, who would not be able to stand in awe of these breathtaking creatures? Today, only a handful remain, scattered among nature reserves, zoos, and other locations.

1. David 14

case in point...

I was at living in residence at University when another guy living there decided he was going to join Greenpeace and headed down to the waterfront to protest the arrival of a US Aircraft carrier. His protest was about keep Halifax (the city we were in) a Nuclear Free Zone... the ship has a nuclear reactor and capable of (and likely carrying) nuclear-type weaponry.

On his return I asked him if he really felt that strongly about being Nuclear-Free... of course his response was that he was dedicated to it! It was only then that I informed him of his gross oversight in paying tuition to a University with not only a nuclear physics doctorate program, but a functional nuclear reactor that is used for training purposes.

Not surprisingly, his enthusiasm for following the "Cult of GP" waned pretty quickly on facing the fact that he was financially supporting a nuclear reactor operation in the city.

The point of this story is that I somehow doubt that the Greenpeace activists that were protesting here were made up of people without reliable or affordable power... but rather those people that have much more privileged positions in the world, where is is easy to look down at others for trying to climb the ladder of prosperity.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: case in point...

Halifax's got an university? And how the heck would someone bring an aircraft carrier there - it's almost as far from any waterfront as it gets. In the UK. Oh... Canada, you said :)

1. petur
    Thumb Up

Renewable is OK but...

Not when you go destroying some VERY nice parts of nature to do so.

Same goes for the idiots who are planning the hydroelectric projects in Iceland. All nice on paper with their zero emissions, until you visit the place where they will build this and see what rare piece of nature has to go for this.

I normally don't agree very much with Greenpeace, but in this case, I fully understand them. This one's for nature!

1. Filippo Silver badge

Re: Renewable is OK but...

Right, while burning fossils instead, which is what Chile will have to do now, is SO much better for nature.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

1) Pick up fone to Canada

2) Order up a few CANDUs

3) ???

4) ENERGY from cheap uranium.

On the minus side, the lead time is prolly 10 years.

On the plus side, you will enrage Amurricans and Greens because you can produce Plutonium in a continuous cycle.

Added bonus if you order up a Russian fast breeder package.

2. petur
      FAIL

7 downvotes as I write this reply?

Not bad, only 7 readers so far who never get from behind their desk and only know how nature looks from those nice wallpapers on their desktops... Here, have a FAIL icon....

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

@petur

What do you expect when you imply that only nature above the waterline is beautiful? With statements like that you will make the Great Barrier Reef cry.

2. Bassey

"only 7 readers so far who never get from behind their desk and only know how nature looks from those nice wallpapers on their desktops"

My, what a pompous arse you come across as. As it happens, I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world and am lucky enough to spend most of my time in the countryside miles from anyone. However, I also realise the beautiful environment around me has changed over time. What we see as "this green and pleasant land" was constructed by people AND nature. Nature is hugely adaptable. Even more so than humans. Things change. Not all change is bad. Not all change is ugly. Not everyone who doesn't share your opinions is an industrialist desk-bound psycho.

Get over yourself.

3. Jellied Eel Silver badge

"Not bad, only 7 readers so far who never get from behind their desk and only know how nature looks from those nice wallpapers on their desktops... Here, have a FAIL icon...."

Ooh, a pretty forest that could have been replaced with ooh, a pretty lake. No matter, thanks to Greenpeace Chile can mine coal instead, or cut forests for woodchip fuel.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@petur

So countries that don't already have hydro shouldn't be allowed to pursue it because of the "nice parts of nature", but it is fine in the developed world because no one remembers how nice the nature was that got flooded to build those dams? Not everywhere is as conveniently barren as the area flooded by the Hoover Dam.

I don't know anything about the project, but most dams also have great benefits for flood control and droughts, two things we're told we should expect more of as the Earth warms. So not only will they be saddled with more expensive energy, they'll be saddled with higher food prices during years where floods and droughts affect yield.

If Greenpeace wants this for less developed countries, they should ask for donations to offset the cost to countries and their residents for stuff like this. Like those who buy tracts of virgin rainforest or stands of redwoods to keep them safe from logging. But their mission seems more about self-publicity than actually having a real benefit on the environment. I'd donate money to almost anyone before I'd give a cent to Greenpeace.

1. Daniel B.

Re: @petur @DougS

I don't know anything about the project, but most dams also have great benefits for flood control and droughts,

You should actually check out what the project is before blindly assuming it's not bad. It's actually pretty bad.

Granted, Chile could do better by setting up a nuke plant, but I'm guessing that's not going to fly in this post-Fukushima era.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @petur

"I'd donate money to almost anyone before I'd give a cent to Greenpeace."

Burning money, literally, would serve a better purpose than donating to Greenpeace. Donating to those clows just encourages them.

4. dajames

Not when you go destroying some VERY nice parts of nature to do so.

"Nice"?

I think perhaps we can do without "nice" if the alternative is inexpensive and emmission-free electricity for the foreseeable future. What we can possibly NOT do without is the loss of biodiversity in the areas that would be submerged, the loss of CO2-absorbing forest, and the human impact.

As some others have pointed out, though, the decision here seems to have been motivated more by political concerns than environmental ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucumbene_Dam

There was quite a nice bit of nature here that got flooded, and a town or two IIRC

Before we had the "greenies", it was possible to indulge in major works such as this. Perhaps the TVA is another (though I am not familiar with its details).

These days, we couldn't put a green on an already existing "island" in a pond at my golf club, because some do-gooder discovered a frog living there :(

2. Aitor 1

Have you red the project?

It was terrible for the environment.

Not everything is great about big hidroelectric!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Have you red the project?

Few things are great about hydro.

3. jason 7

If you want to save the rainforests and jungles...

...really really want to save them then there is a very effective way to do it and its proven.

Basically scatter the area you wish to save with thousands of anti-personnel mines.

Think I'm crazy? Well the Americans may well have saved huge swathes of jungle etc. in Vietnam and the surrounding areas from logging etc. as there is far too much ordinance sitting just under the surface and it costs a fortune to clear it.

Keeps the humans out and the wildlife just carries on as normal. Ironic really that US forces in trying to destroy something could well have saved it for future generations.

If you wanted to you could design the explosive with a limited effective lifespan of say 25 years and then review the situation.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: If you want to save the rainforests and jungles...

I now have this wonderful image of a green paradise, sun shining, birds tweeting, bunny rabbits exploding...

1. Roland6 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

>bunny rabbits exploding

It was Vietnam so it's more likely to be pigs than rabbits...

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

The bunnies in Vietnam are combat camoflaged:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/422674.stm

2. Tom 13

Re: bunny rabbits exploding...

Not these bunny rabbits:

http://www.amazon.com/Revenge-Fluffy-Bunnies-Reel-Three-Cineverse/dp/0441718337/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403019390&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=revenge+of+the+fluffy+bunny+rabbits

4. Hans Upp

Wrong Paper?

Y'know, reading this article made me wonder if I had inadvertently switched to the Daily Heil.

5. ukgnome
    Facepalm

Oh Lewis!

Maybe you could tell the full story rather than just the 33% you have actually written.

Sometimes I feel that you actually like the way your inbox fills up.

1. Oninoshiko
      Facepalm

Re: Oh Lewis!

You could also point out the part he missed...

6. Naich

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7046-hydroelectric-powers-dirty-secret-revealed.html#.U5l2LPldWD0

"Hydroelectric dams produce significant amounts of carbon dioxide and methane, and in some cases produce more of these greenhouse gases than power plants running on fossil fuels."

1. TRT Silver badge

Can't you capture all this methane and use it to run a gas turbine. ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Naich

Sorry mate, it's many years since New Scientist was a reputable source, in my book (indeed, if it ever was).

The whole "flooding valleys creates methane" story is not universally correct because it depends on what and where is flooded, and where it may apply there's a simple answer of stripmining the reservoir bed back to sub soil or bedrock. Even if you don't do that, as IAS pointed out above, a hydro electric dam has an asset life of hundreds of years, so the short term methane emissions are a one time cost for a very long term reliable resource.

And as usual the hippies have ignored what nature does, which is to erode soil and rock, and wash living and dead plant matter into water courses. If the tossers applied the same logic to any lowland river in the world they'd find that nature generates millions of tonnes of methane all the time, and they'd be protesting in Parliament Square demanding the immediate closure of the River Thames. Likewise wetlands and rain forests are major sources of methane, but you don't hear the hippies demanding the levelling of the Amazon basin to stop its methane emissions (the Amazon basin alone is perhaps 5-6% of global methane emissions). What Greenpeace object to is the fact that somebody's lives might be improved.

7. Paul Shirley

is that Lewis's knee jerking?

It's just so easy to jump on Greenpeace appropriating credit that a man with Lewis's beliefs couldn't really resist it. They've never been afraid to claim victory on behalf of others.

Perhaps now we can have a proper report on why 60% of the Chilean population opposed and eventually killed this project, which seems to be a combination of national pride in their national parks/landscape, well founded distrust of their government, a genuine lack of belief that this project made any sense and the refusal of their government to consider alternatives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: is that Lewis's knee jerking?

"which seems to be a combination of national pride in their national parks/landscape, well founded distrust of their government, a genuine lack of belief that this project made any sense and the refusal of their government to consider alternatives"

You forgot to add "and being deceived by the strident, often inaccurate, frequently dishonest PR campaigns by smug, middle class, first world based NGOs, who personally enjoy the benefits of the modern world, but are only too keen to stop the less developed world enjoying them"

2. Daniel B.

Re: is that Lewis's knee jerking?

well founded distrust of their government, a genuine lack of belief that this project made any sense and the refusal of their government to consider alternatives.

Distrust? How about "they got voted out of government in the following election"? I'm pretty sure the whole project is why Chileans preferred to vote Michelle Bachelet back into power rather than letting Piñera destroy their national park. It seems they learned that voting for conservatives is a huge mistake, something they should know better given their recent past.

8. Chad H.

Okay, I know that fair and balaced reporting on El Reg aint your thing, but couldnt you at least mention the reasons they opposed it?

9. Cyberelic

Greenpeace

Sex an' drugs an' rock and roll an' LOTS an' LOTS of tea.

Put kettle on, I'll build another one.

What do you mean I've been here three days? I must get going soon.

What, five days? I've been here five days? I'm going.

This topic is closed for new posts.