back to article TrueCrypt hooked to life support in Switzerland: 'It must not die' say pair

Two programmers hope to resurrect development of disk-encryption tool TrueCrypt after its original developers quit the project. The official TrueCrypt.org website abruptly shut up shop last week ostensibly because its secretive maintainers felt they could no longer keep the software secure. They blamed the Microsoft's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. nick soph

I was never that bothered by it's name. Can't we just agree to call whatever follows something else - 'Elisabeth' maybe?

1. DropBear

Fine by me, as long as it's not Shirley...

1. Gerard Krupa

You can't be serious

2. DrTeeth

The most troublesome thing is the name?

If the most troublesome thing is that any new product must not have anything resembling 'Truecrypt' in it, there is no real problem. FFS just call it anything and just move on. Next...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blazing Saddles

Just call it TwueCrypt.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Blazing Saddles

TwueCrypt from Twitwerland?

4. Chairo

What about LibreCrypt?

As mentioned above, it would be unfair to the current developers to go on under the TrueCrypt moniker. also it will create unnecessary confusion. To use the "Libre" naming would make the intentions clearer and would borrow from the goodwill that LibreOffice created.

1. regadpellagru

Re: What about LibreCrypt?

"To use the "Libre" naming would make the intentions clearer and would borrow from the goodwill that LibreOffice created."

This. An also, with the fact hosting moves from the US of A to Switzerland, it would be a good punch in the face of Uncle Sam !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What about LibreCrypt?

LibreCrypt would also follow in the footsteps of LibreSSL, the fork of OpenSSL that is undergong a massive amount of refactoring and bug fixing.

5. John Tserkezis

You mean it actually WAS the original authors who made it look like it was hacked?

Pissweak effort IMO. Whatever the justification.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about

FuckSpook.

7. power effect
    Go

Names I would use

Trustcrypt

Trustycrypt

Are closer to the original than any other suggested and give a good meaning to the project intention.

8. Valeyard

Alternatives

So is it just me then who didn't update and kept the fully functional version?

Although that kinda feels a bit weak and I feel guilty for keeping an apparently insecure version (to the point where they removed encryption rather than let you use it?!) I really don't have anything I trust more

Which says a lot for what's available at the moment. Has anyone any recommendations for good alternatives?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

9. TopOnePercent

The name isn't important. What is important is the ongoing ability to use TrueCrypt, so well done guys for at least attempting this.

Though I'll just suggest CHuCrypt (given it's hosting in alpine quarters). To be pronounced TrueCrypt.

10. fnusnu

Swisscrypt?

How about Swisscrypt?

1. Adam 1

Re: Swisscrypt?

Swiss army crypt?

Maybe not. They would have to extend it to convert files to PDF, play video files, edit spreadsheets, zip files and a browser to claim that one.

11. Frogmelon

I would expect that after examining the blueprints for Truecrypt the auditors will find a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port.

It'll be two metres wide, but it'll lead directly to the main reactor!

For a new name I'd suggest "Heidi"..something.. as Truecrypt is designed to, er, Heidi stuff.

12. earl grey
    Happy

Cthulhucrypt

Solves lots of problems all at once.

1. Gerard Krupa

Re: Cthulhucrypt

TrueCrypt Fhtagn

13. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

I think, at this point CryptOrchid might be appropriate, because the point of hidden disk encryption is to show that there is nothing there.

14. Rhomboid
    Meh

The name game

Crew Tripped (Hoffman fork)

Spooky Crypt (bare bones edition)

L337 Krypt (Skiddy version)

If litigation became an issue, I'd definitely advocate 'Sue Script'

15. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Maybe wait a bit before forking.

Whilst it would sound quite possible for the FOSS crowd to fork the earlier version, it might be best to wait until after the code revIew has been completed. Probably twice. After all, as the Seggelmann incidents demonstrate, often there are flaws even the supposed geniuses miss.

16. zb
    Coat

How about calling it

Crew Tripped

17. LittleTyke

New name for TrueCrypt?

If the only stumbling block is the name, well, what's in a name? There are loads of names. As long as people know, nod nod, wink wink, that the revived product was once TrueCrypt, who cares? You could call it Daisy, or Son of TC, or NSA (Non-crackable Security Aid). There are many more possibles.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Joke

Re: New name for TrueCrypt?

Surely, as it is supposed to provide a unique encryption tool for every user, it should generate a unique application name every time the code is compiled.....

18. wish

New name of the program

CPCrypt

Because it is a cross-platform program and the name "Crosscrypt" is already protected - i think.

It is an easy method to create a logo which shows the cross-platform symbol.

1. Adam 1

Re: New name of the program

A penguin staring at an apple tree with an odd bite mark in each fruit through a slightly warped window frame?

19. wish

Re: The name game

CPCrypt

(or CPDiskCrypt) Because it is a cross-platform program and the name "Crosscrypt" is already protected - i think.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.