back to article Glassholes beware: This guy's got your number

An artist/engineer working in Germany is sure to have sparked the next Google Glass debate: is it okay to simply block them from a network you control? There's plenty of stories about “Glassholes” taking the devices where they're not wanted or aren't legal (for example, driving), with outcomes ranging from being charged to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
      1. Gordon 11

Re: They will have to switch to 3/4G manually

...apply a dummynet delay of 4 seconds to traffic combined with whatever horrid jitter curve you can think of (Linux still does not have that feature 10 years past it appearing in BSD).

I think you'll find it does, via iptables/iproute. e.g.

http://www.linuxpoweruser.com/?p=41

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How true. In most cases of those saying 'my network' I would imagine that they are only the managers of it and not those that actually own it and therefore by blocking something on a whim are, in fact, leaving themselves open to censure.

1. scarshapedstar

I generally prefer tethering 4G over using some dodgy public wifi anyway, and that probably won't change if or when I become a glasshole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, I suspect the sale of jammers will go through the roof. If someone comes up with a way to identify IMEIs specific to Glass and build a jammer for it they could make a lot of money, I reckon..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unlikely..

The imei plays no part in it. Jammers, well, jam. They dont differentiate between imei of one device or another, they just flood the local area with RF.

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/rx90.html

For example, has selectable bands to block 2g but not 3g, or wifi but not bluetooth etc.

So you could blanket jam everything within a 20 metre radius. Of course, the legailty is a different issue altogether but thats about the most advanced jammer out there that Joe Bloogs can own short of military based stuff.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Unlikely..

And all radio jamming devices are absolutely and definitively illegal to operate throughout the EU, and most other countries.

Technically they usually aren't illegal to own but turning them on will land you in court.

2. Mark 85

We block incoming through the firewall, so why not block that going out? Many companies will probably block them just due to the bandwidth they use. Plus there are privacy issues, IMO.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the bandwidth requirements are for glass but companies tend to block things that eat bandwidth like sporting events.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So do you block encrypted streams in and out as a matter of course? Because if the streams pass through in an encrypted state, all you can tell from packet sniffing is that it's a blob of encrypted data.

1. M Gale

What you CAN tell is where the packets are coming from and where they are going to. If you couldn't, then the network would be a notwork.

3. Tom 7

Hi Honey

I'm in the Dark!

4. dan1980

Yes.

5. JDX Gold badge

There's plenty of stories about “Glassholes”

Far more stories about people being assholes to glass wearers than stories about glassholes themselves.

1. lurker

Re: There's plenty of stories about “Glassholes”

Yeah that line stood out to me as well. So far as I can make out, most of those stories get the bulk of their bandwidth footprint from The Register anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Far more stories about people being assholes to glass wearers than stories about glassholes themselves.

That's because they're thankfully still thin on the ground. Personally, I like that..

1. Flyberius

Why are they so inherently evil?

Why is it assumed that as soon as someone owns one of these devices they are going to be using it to film you and invade your privacy?

If I had google glass I would be using it to experience augmented reality overlays of my every day world. Something reminiscent of the AR specs that everyone uses in David Brin's novel Existence. I certainly wouldn't be using them to spy on the activities of a bitter sysadmin with nothing better to do than try to block my glasses from accessing the internet. I'd be using them to post virtual sticky notes pointing people to good bars and reading restaurant reviews that pop out and hover in front of the restaurant as you walk down the street (above head height so you can see where your going, duh). To me, that sounds exciting and fun. Maybe I'm just a techno facist bastard though. Or a glasshole.

In summation. Grow up. If you want to spend all your time blocking these things from your corporate/home/starbucks wifi then more fool you. You will make a laughably small impact. The rest of the world will have moved on.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmm.

quickly checks google play for mac address spoofing apps.

laughs

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I have been suffering from a misapprehension

I had (after huge amounts (=none) of research) vaguely assumed that storage on the glassthing was local, and now I discover it must be connected to the borg?

This makes my antipathy to it even more, I think. Were I in such a position, yes, I think I'd block it.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: I have been suffering from a misapprehension

That's what I was thinking - don't they have local storage? In which case you take as many pictures as you want, and download when you get home. Like a camera.

So I'm really not sure what this effort is trying to achieve, because as far as I can tell, it achieves...nothing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The borg?

I fail to understand how you can assume that Google Glass will connect to Microsoft? Or are you the AC that keeps trying to associate "Borg" with Google?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We'll get used to it. Resistance is futile, as ever.

If it's the 'spying' angle that concerns you, may I point out that many people might be surprised how many cheap covert cameras can be bought online these days. Anyone with a watch, pen, lighter, keyfob, sunglasses, could be filming you without you knowing. The cameras really are that small, recording HD video onto tiny SD cards, and only needing a pin-hole to see from. The days of privacy are over, alas. At least with Glass you do actually have a chance to watch what you're doing and turn your back :)

I think society will get used to people wearing glasses-based displays before long, and we'll end up wondering what the fuss was about, even if you strongly disagree right now; argue against me only if you're certain that I'll be proven wrong in the fullness of time!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We'll get used to it. Resistance is futile, as ever.

"I think society will get used to people wearing glasses-based displays before long, and we'll end up wondering what the fuss was about, even if you strongly disagree right now; argue against me only if you're certain that I'll be proven wrong in the fullness of time!"

No it really wont. If you think that people will be happy to wear this on their face then you are very much mistaken. The problem is that people just wont be willing to look like a twat all the time and getting over that initial hurdle will be the stumbling point for this technology. The general public spend billions of pounds a year on various things so that they don't have to wear glasses at all (contacts, laser treatments) they will not be willing to go back to wearing glasses especially when they don't do much more than their current mobile phone does.

It's different in a working environment where they may take off a bit, especially for stock control in warehouses, but for the general public, no, not going to happen (please bookmark this comment so that you can review in 10 years time to see that I was correct, and therefore it was okay to argue against you. As an aside the fact that you stated this at all means that you probably aren't the sort of person who is in touch with what the general public think so I don't expect you to understand why people wont want to wear these).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The general public spend billions of pounds a year on various things so that they don't have to wear glasses at all (contacts, laser treatments) they will not be willing to go back to wearing glasses especially when they don't do much more than their current mobile phone does."

Except people do wear sunglasses so why not sunglasses that mean you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket?

I have to wonder if Google had decided to not include a camera would there be so much anti-glass?

1. Brian 18

"I have to wonder if Google had decided to not include a camera would there be so much anti-glass?"

From me, yes. While I admit I find the camera creepy, it is not the most dangerous part of GG. I have seen way too many idiot drivers* using lap tops on the passenger seat, texting, web browsing on their cell phones. These idiots represent one significant advantage to me over GG. I can see that they are not paying attention driving and give them plenty of room. That way when these accidents looking for a place to happen finally find it, I don't get injured. With GG, you can't tell.

* Not sure I can really call them drivers because they certainly didn't pay much (if any) attention to driving.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>people just wont be willing to look like a twat all the time

You mean like those people who wear sunglasses inside?

Yes, I know some of them have auto-darkening prescription lenses, so do I, but they clear up quite quickly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Shades! Indoors! (was Re: We'll get used to it. Resistance is futile, as ever.)

>> people just wont be willing to look like a twat all the time

> You mean like those people who wear sunglasses inside?

Some people suffer horrendously from photo-sensitivity and are hugely susceptible to glare. Oddly enough, a seemingly harmless point source of light in a dim environment can be as bad as snow glare.

I'm not as bad as my Aunt (who is albino and wears shades pretty much whenever vertical) but I do get glare migraines if bright light comes in the side of my eyes, and when the sun is low I won't take a chance that I cannot drive home (and will have to spend the next few hours in pain, throwing up) because I took my shades off at the wrong moment.

That said, I'll never be accused of being fashionable - I need polarised wrap around to cover my full field of view: pretty they are not! If I can avoid the migraine, I'll take looking like a twat...

1. OokamiChan

Re: Shades! Indoors! (was We'll get used to it. Resistance is futile, as ever.)

Or one have prescription sunglasses, and the ordinary ones is at home, so you cant change back to them.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As others have pointed out, what about sunglasses?

You're missing the Show-Off aspect of human nature. Make it look expensive, and it becomes a status symbol. Don't forget how pathetic and ostentatious cellphones used to look, now we all use them with no qualms. I hope I can come back here in 10 years and see :)

2. RyokuMas
      FAIL

"If it's the 'spying' angle that concerns you, may I point out that many people might be surprised how many cheap covert cameras can be bought online these days."

Ah, but how many of said cheap covert cameras <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/24/google_glass_spyware/>can report everything they see back to Google HQ</a>?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@RyokuMas - but how many of said cheap covert cameras can report everything they see back to Google HQ

So, in other words you don't mind spycams filming you in any situation providing the footage isn't forwarded to googlwe?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why allow them to connect and then kick them off? Surely it makes more sense to block them from connecting in the first place.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge

I was wondering the same thing. If you know the MAC prefix, just reserve a special pool for them in DHCP and give out leases with bogus gateways and/or DNS. Problem solved.

Although I do like an earlier commentard's suggestion of traffic-shaping them down to 1kbs. Sweet...treat them like we used to treat P2P file sharers...

1. JC 2

Or simpler still, merely disallow the connection with a MAC exclusion list. I suppose it depends on what your kit firmware or OS flexibility allows you to do.

2. fishman

Of course, MAC address spoofing is trivial. Problem solved.

10. Ben Rosenthal

Well isn't he a big silly.

11. Breen Whitman

"with outcomes ranging from being charged to regrettable cases of assault"

Link to "assault" article, girl claims her glasses being snatched and being abused was a "Hate Crime".

Which begs the question, is reacting violently to someone so abhorrent such as Adolf Hitler, serial pedophile, child murderer, Google Glass wearer an actual hate crime? If it "right" to hate Adolf Hitler?

And yes, I am lumping Glass wearers in with Adolf and the kiddie fiddlers. Vile entities.

1. JC 2

Yes, reacting to anyone who isn't immediately threatening to your person is a hate crime. I'm not suggesting that means one should or shouldn't react, at some point there's a fuzzy line between tolerance, forgiveness, and not turning a blind eye.

12. wdce

Time, please!

The policy of 'Sorry mate, you're not coming in.' is well known, but you don't know what they'll do if they are allowed. So I don't have a problem with gate-keepers. As an aside, can I block Apple products from my home wi-fi, just to annoy the cousin of my soon-to-be ex-wife?

13. wdce

Time, please!

The policy of 'Sorry mate, you're not coming in.' is well known, so I'm on the side of the gate-keepers. But one can't always predict the behaviour of those allowed access. As an aside, how do I block apple things from my home wi-fi, just to annoy the cousin of my soon-to-be ex-wife?

14. RyokuMas
    Devil

Is this why...

... Google were slurping for unprotected wifi networks with their streetview cars? So that they knew what networks their glasses would be able to hook up to on the quiet in order to phone home with yet more data for the great Google spying network?

15. TopOnePercent

We're gonna be overwhelmed - may as well accept it.

I find the whole idea of Glass to be a little odd. Constantly invading other people’s privacy so you can watch cat videos on the internet instead of looking where you’re going. That said, at 40, I’m not exactly the core target market.

The celebrity obsessed, fame hungry, me me me generation of post millennials will lap this up once it drops in price, as they’re used to having significant chunks of their life posted online.

If the borg marketing department are reading this, what you need to do is pay a celebutard (the more vacuous the better) to wear these so Heat magazine readers can experience life through the eyes of Paris Hilton/Jordan/Peter Andrex/whoever. Then they’ll want to emulate them like literally every other aspect of their lives, and they’ll fly off the shelves. This idea is yours on licence for the princely sum of 0.25% of revenue in the 12 months following the celebutard Glassing.

16. JC 2

Yes an admin can block anyone they choose to whether it be glassholes or people wearing brown shoes.

17. DryBones
    Holmes

How Droll...

This is what's known as an "attention grab". Usually (lately, it seems anyway) done by taking an odd or extreme measure with relation to a controversial topic that otherwise nobody would give two shakes about. Since we're techies here, obviously it found some audience/success.

Google Glass specs are here: https://support.google.com/glass/answer/3064128?hl=en

Hmm. 12GB storage, Bluetooth, wifi. Okay, so the guy may be able to do such, on his network. One I will never see, and never want to see if it's unsecured like it would need to be in order for some passing Tom, Dick, or Harry to link in. Given the out-and-about nature of most users, Glass will be tethered to their phone or a hotspot for data connection. They should have such a setup readily at hand, so if kicked off the network they will shrug and use their default method. Or, more likely, they won't have it on the network in the first place if it's not an approved device at work.

If they are allowed to use it at work as an approved device and bother to find out why it's being dropped, they will rightly conclude that he's a tit, and HR may get involved. Regardless (such as if the rules are his to make), their use of Glass via their normal roaming means will be unimpeded.

Storm in a teacup, sound and fury amounting to nothing, etc. If Glass users are behaving so badly as to warrant such measures and ire, they need reminding of common courtesy. You don't see people using their camera phone to take video of you during a casual chat, should be the same with this.

I'd say this was fear and paranoia, does anyone know if there's a "camera on" indicator seen from the outside (and positioned to not have prism imperfection mistaken for it)? Seems that would resolve the issue quite simply.

18. GKLR
    Black Helicopters

And the/a flip side is...

Turn the question around.

If you are the admin of a network covering an area that covers copyright material (say a gallery or the like) or in which people have an expectation of privacy (say a gym which has a change room in it) which may be legally enforceable can you afford *not* to make the effort - whether it is ultimately effective or not - to block a glasshole's network access?

What happens if pictures of copyright material end up on the Internet or some creep streams a little video from a change room and then someone sees it and throws a sue ball at you (and the glasshole one would hope)? Ask a lawyer, but I'm thinking that a glasshole block in place would probably make it much easier to dodge the sue ball (and maybe lob one at the glass hole).

I'm afraid I'm firmly of the opinion that when Google decided to put a camera in the Glass they were doing evil; by not recalling all Glasses and physically removing the camera they continue to do evil. I say to Google: Don't be evil.

1. DryBones
      Holmes

Re: And the/a flip side is...

Psst. Psst.

Hint: It's the same as if they did it with a cell phone camera. They can store all the data on the device, cutting them off the net does nothing, and they should have their own connectivity with them anyway.

Your line of thinking has met innumerable technological advances in the 21st century. You may want to check your perspective.

19. Christian Berger

The problem aren't glassholes

The problem is Google/Facebook/etc.

I don't care if people privately photograph me without my knowledge. As long as they don't publish the pictures or hand it over to someone who can influence me in a bad way, that's perfectly al right. Should some secret service or the police get access to it it's no longer acceptable.

The problem is when they upload it to some "cloud service" where those images will be processed and made available to people I don't want them to have. Since Google is trying to get "backups" to your devices which they will have to hand over on request, this is not acceptable.

In general we really must work on more democratic computing. We must find ways to increase code and computing literacy.

20. razorfishsl

The issue with all this…. is that whilst google 'blocks' faces and registrations on maps, it still has the un altered data available for them to be able to profile ALL the faces, and by default so does the NSA.

21. GrumpyOldMan

Heck yes! I class them as spyware.

Or Spywear.

Simples.

22. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Big Brother

Google Glasses is one of the worst inventions ever conceived. It provides no useful images, scrapes away our last best hope for privacy from security cameras, traffic cameras, cell phone cameras, street view cameras, ATM cameras, nanny cameras, and dash cameras. Now let's all just record everything we see all the time. Why?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because WE WANT TO. Put it this way. Expectation of privacy ONLY applies to oneself. Anyone else, we're bloody nosy. With 99-to-1 disadvantage on the street, basically, you lose. All you can do now is live with it.

23. Flyberius

Just jealous...

This topic is closed for new posts.