back to article Google: 'EVERYTHING at Google runs in a container'

Google is now running "everything" in its mammoth cloud on top of a potential open source successor to virtualization, paving the way for other companies to do the same. Should VMware be worried? Probably not, but the tech pioneered by Google is making inroads into a certain class of technically sophisticated companies. That …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: about to deploy a few containers

"I started to mess around with LXC ... Downsides that I have encountered"

Try OpenVZ, it's a much nicer Linux alternative to LXC for containers.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Ever talked to a Google employee?

I like how fact filled your comment is. Very informative!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ever talked to a Google employee?

"That actually think they're good at something.

How this makes "news" is absolutely staggering. LXC is nothing new to anybody."

You of course, have precisely... what to offer to anyone? Other than your sizeable mouth, by way of your fingers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How Revolutionary!... or maybe not

Customers have been "container-izing" for a LONG LONG time (e.g. Solaris Zones for 5+ years). Oh wait, Google is doing it with Linux, so it must be new, cool, and revolutionary! I got it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google: 'EVERYTHING at Google runs in a container'"

Tupperware?

4. Mark 110

Great Info

Thanks to all intelligent commentators for lovely info.

What on earth are people doing on a pure tech thread slagging off Googles ethics. Go to a big IT ethics thread to do that you f-wits.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Great Info

"What on earth are people doing on a pure tech thread slagging off Googles ethics. Go to a big IT ethics thread to do that you f-wits."

I hear what you're saying - but I've never seen a Reg thread that was pure tech. I'll happily bitch with the rest on the monotony of the fanboi flame wars, ideology, and entrenched opinions, but one of the true pleasures of the Reg forums is the leeway for people to spout a lot of opinionated crap (I for one do so all the time) and to be challenged/called on it. It wouldn't be lively if they didn't, would it?

2. Psmo

Re: Great Info

At Google's scale everything is big IT, and with their depth of penetration in lobbying and government everything they do has ethical complications.

5. MatsSvensson

Even the refrigerators?

That seems inefficient.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like