back to article Motorola Moto E: Brill budget blower with one bothersome blunder

Motorola couldn't have asked for more from the affordable Moto G. It bumped the company’s UK smartphone market share from next to nothing to 6 per cent all by itself. For the first time in more than a decade, it gave European stores a Motorola device people actually wanted. Motorola Moto E budget Android smartphone Motorola …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. A Butler

Reg criticising Android gear - camera must be AWFUL

A first the reg criticising Android gear, we can only assume the Camera must be so shockingly bad a review without mentioning it would not be credible journalism, or else it would be glossed over....

2. Barry Rueger

Move Prices Out Of The Stratosphere.

When I started shopping for a new smartphone last month I had two specific goals: to pay something like $250 CDN, and to buy it outright without giving more money to our greedy wireless service provider. I absolutely refuse to spend the better part of a thousand bucks on something that will likely last me no more than 1 1/2 to 2 years.

The Nexus 5 was the number one contender, and the Moto G would have been if I could buy it directly in Canada instead of handing money to Bell or Telus.

As it turned out I got a good deal on a Blackberry Z10, which I'm liking an awful lot. The final deciding factor was a presumed likelihood that the BB would be good for writing e-mails and text messages, and generally being used for text communications as well as voice.

And it is - the predictive text is amazing - much better than what I've had in ICS or even Jellybean.

Ultimately though this story makes me happy - the Moto E is another phone that is more than adequate for most people, and priced sensibly. That will tend to force down prices from other manufacturers, and will encourage people to just buy a phone instead of locking into some wireless company's two year plan in order to get it for "free."

3. heyrick Silver badge
    FAIL

Retarded camera

While not wishing to get into the debate about whether or not a front-facing camera is necessary, I note that the rear camera cannot do HD video, cannot autofocus... What is this, 2008?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Retarded camera

Why do you need to shoot HD video, especially on a device that's going to be shaking around in your hand? All you'd end up with is really crap, poorly lit/coloured video, with awful sound quality, in HD.

4. Grubby

Perfect for me

I have a moto g having previously had a £600 iPhone and the £500 xPeria Z. I have worked in the mobile phone industry for about 10 years and this is the best phone I've had. It doesn't claim to be the best thing in the world like the other 2, it know's it isn't waterproof and it isn't shatter proof (and neither are the Xperias despite their many claims); it's not a 'cool' gadget that all the hipsters will be looking at and thinking wow you are 'so. coo.' like the appled or samsung devices. It's just a phone, with a few nice features.

There probably isn't room for a third device to split the existing moto phones, for the sake of £20 or £30 people will always be drawn to the one with better spec.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perfect for me

"it know's it isn't waterproof"

Au Contraire...

http://www.mobileburn.com/22487/news/moto-g-survives-30-minutes-underwater-but-its-not-waterproof

5. polandro
    Facepalm

52 comments? Pick a card, any card...

...omg, don't buy it if you need a front camera, eh?

1. A Butler

Re: 52 comments? Pick a card, any card...

Or any kind of decent camera..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 52 comments? Pick a card, any card...

If you need a decent camera, buy a decent camera. Simple.

They're small enough these days you can easily fit one in your pocket with your phone. And you'll be able to start snapping pictures faster than you'll get the camera app on any camera-equipped phone. As a bonus they'll generally look better too.

Really they just need a camera that can talk to a smartphone over Bluetooth/Wifi with a suitable app to receive it. Then the phone can do what it does well: cellular comms, and the camera can do what it does well: taking pictures.

6. maheshmehta

I will go for it... because the phone is pretty awesome and as far the budget is concerned most of them would go for it...

7. willi0000000

one thing i noticed that was not in the article and i wonder if the omission was intended.

how well does it work as a phone?

1. Dabooka

TLDR?

"To wrap on a more important note, I experienced no problems with call quality or signal reception, both of which proved well up to snuff."

8. Dabooka
    Stop

Blimey, talk about escalating quickly....

It's straight forward isn't it, if you need a forward camera FOR WHATEVER REASON don't buy it. If you don't need one, then it might make your short list. The lack of it is as significant as the lack of 4G in my mind; it is what it is and it does what it does.

I don't understand the baiting of those who do need it, anymore than I grasp the need of those that do in bashing the handset for lacking one.

FFS......

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like