back to article Nintendo says sorry, but there will be NO gay marriage in Tomodachi Life ... EVER

Gaming heavyweight Nintendo says it's sorry to disappointed customers for not including same-sex relationships in its Tomodachi Life simulation game, but that it's too late to do anything about it. The Mario Bros. maker posted a public note of apology to its website on Friday saying it was "committed to advancing our longtime …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who?

I don't mean to comment on the topic at large here, but your post makes the kind of assumptions that non-programmer bosses and customers tend to make.

The fact the "bug" existed in the previous release might have had far-ranging implications on the game's quality. It may be that it was a "Bug" (it would seem weird that women couldn't marry), and that by not fixing it - the game would stop being able to progress, not be able to load a savegame later, miss out parts of any plot, Not be able to draw animations and bug out. There are endless possibilities on why that might be a "bug" and not a moral thing.

The issue I experience is: I get given spec, and deliver that spec - then people want to change it AFTER the product is delivered, and assume it is trivial to do these things.

I am not having a dig at you Steve, but I am not looking to going back to my desk on Monday, and your post fired a million resentful neurons.

1. tkioz

Damn. Talk about entitlement. Honestly, what's next? Complaining because there are no transgender options for the characters?

1. Phil W

The fact the people making the complaints about the lack of same sex marriage options haven't complained about the lack of transgender character creation options, while claiming to represent LGBT interests demonstrates the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of their complaint. Unless they are now actually claiming to only represent the interests on binary gender persons.

1. Anthony Hulse

Aren't we talking about Miis?

As they used to say on vBulletin....:confused:

Surely a transgendered Mii would just have a different sex to the birth gender of the player who created it, right? In this way the game already includes transgendered options.

2. Grikath
        Facepalm

@ Phil W

Nooo... That would be the next Complaint.... Got to keep those funds rolling and publicity up!

Meanwhile in the Real World™ most of the "Community" these ....Activists... claim to represent do a /facepalm and start damage control protocols. If they can give a toss about a couple of loudmouth US-ians throwing a tantrum.

2. JasonB

"Damn. Talk about entitlement. Honestly, what's next? Complaining because there are no transgender options for the characters?"

Please God no!. I've just finished my E&D training and the rights of transgeder people are frightening. Getting a criminal conviction for telling one person that another has transitioned! I'll stay away from any game that has transgender rights built in thank you.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. SVV

And this from the company.......

that made its' money from countless video games feaaturing a couple of extravagantly moustachioed village people style plumbers who led somewhat unconventional lifestyles to say the least........

1. Old Handle
      Trollface

Re: And this from the company.......

I thought they were brothers... oh dear.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: And this from the company.......

If brothers that's worse?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rule 34...

Sorry.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Rule 34...

What you're looking for is located in the legendofkrystal forum...

3. Vociferous

Gays had a lucky escape.

As a straight person I find it offensive that my sexuality is referenced by such a shitty game.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"It also isn't clear that Nintendo is being honest"

Libel-sensitive, eh? I don't believe them for a second.

5. Bladeforce

Well...

All I can say is well done Nintendo....goes off to buy 3 3DS's for the kids after reading this

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BREAKING NEWS! NAMBLA to sue Nintendo for not including their chosen lifestyle in-game.

google it

1. Stacy

Re: BREAKING NEWS! NAMBLA to sue Nintendo for not including their chosen lifestyle in-game.

It's not a "chosen lifestyle". If you really think that you can pick and choose your sexuality then I suggest you try it. If you can't then I have to ask why not, after all it's simply a choice to you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: BREAKING NEWS! NAMBLA to sue Nintendo for not including their chosen lifestyle in-game.

Not an active choice but probably a learned behaviour. Either that or ancient Greece had an extremely high proportion of people with the elusive 'gay gene'.

Given enough time and conditioning a person could probably have their sexuality changed. Of course, I'm not saying that should ever happen; there's nothing wrong with being gay.

2. sena.akada

Can't believe I googled that sh*t.

3. Diamandi Lucas

Marlon Brando look-alikes need love too! Especially if they look like him towards the end of his life.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. bigtimehustler

To be honest without knowing the application I side with Nintendo on this one now, they should have thought about it pre launch but after launch it could be a huge change. It would change the whole social interaction logic of the entire game, there could be many variables not expecting all sexes to be able to couple together, its not a case of just allowing it to happen, its looking at how that affects game play after its happened/happening.

9. sena.akada

More QQing from the gay lobby.

10. Dave Stevens
    FAIL

Missing the boat.

If I was Nintendo, I'd roll that up as paying DLC. (Does Nintendo even support that?)

It would be interesting to see how many people would pay the $2 or whatever to get this.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Missing the boat.

That's a great idea! But why stop a $2? See how bad they really want it and make it a $99 expansion pack. In truth, a high price would more accurately reflect reality. I'm not being biased, but part of not being in the 'mainstream' are the higher costs and the PITA (Pain In The Ass) Modifier that is an unavoidable part of not jiving 100% with the herd.

Everybody who doesn't match the mythical 'statistical average', in any aspect of their life, is going to have to pay. It's not my fault I'm ridiculously tall, but I have to pay 5x over the price of the same suit for normal height people. Same with neckties, 5x+ for an extra 3/4". Suck it up and pay.

11. You Are Not Free

This is a game for kids. I wouldn't let my kids go near it if the "rainbow flag brigade" had had any influence on it's development what so ever.

Nintendo know this.

1. Bob Hoskins

Exactly - I can’t believe we live in a world where a computer games manufacturer has to apologise for not including man on man action. Bizarre.

2. Don Jefe

Nintendo is an organization, therefore Nintendo 'knows'. I'm not entirely certain what it is they know, but I'm sure they does...

Grammar aside, are you saying that knowing a homosexual worked on the game is your primary purchase factor? If you don't know a homosexual has worked on the game then it's OK? What about a situation where an entirely heterosexual group worked on a game and made it just fabulously gay? Would that be OK?

I'm not sure you have given enough thought to your logic. Put some development time in then reassess your bias. Half assing bias gives a bad name to people with proper, fully developed biases.

1. Don Jefe

Oh, oh! I've got another question.

What if a homosexual worked on the development of, let's say, breakfast cereal. Would that mean you had gotten 'the gay' inside you? What about your kids?!?! Think of the children!!!!!! they will have gotten the gay inside them too!

Hey! Maybe that's it! Homosexuality isn't a naturally occurring variance that just seems to be everywhere because of the incredibly fucking huge number of Humans all connected (probably with wires that have the gay on them). No! Homosexuality is a vast conspiracy by the breakfast cereal people to turn your kids into fruit loops (Ha!).

Holy shit! Fruit Loops are made from (gay) people!!!!!! Why did you leave us Charlton Heston?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think you are confusing non impacting homosexual involvement with homosexuality promoting content.

So if for instance your box of cereal had an obviously gay family on the cover then that would certainly put me off buying it as offensive, whereas the possibility that some of the cereal company staff were gay would not.

1. TopOnePercent

So if for instance your box of cereal had an obviously gay family on the cover then that would certainly put me off buying it as offensive, whereas the possibility that some of the cereal company staff were gay would not.

Really??!!

Anyone that knows me in real life would tell you I'm more at the caveman end of the range than the sensitive metrosexual side.

I'm genuinely suprised that 2 blokes on the packaging would prevent someone buying a cereal. For me it comes down to nutrition and taste (I'm fat, so the taste part of that equation usually wins).

What annoys me far more is all the shouting about gener/age/race/sexuality issues. Caveman that I am, I don't much care about those things - you're either an asshat or you're not, and I'll judge that for myself based on your words and deeds, not some specially designated grouping.

One of my best mates is gay. It makes not a jot of difference to any of his friends. He was nervous when he finally told us, having gathered everyone in a pub and waited until we all had a drink. He was a little bit taken aback by the response "Thanks for telling us, we've all known for many years, same (drink) again?"

Most advocacy groups generate more hostility than they prevent, by making a fuss over a total non-issue. Its a game kids, play it and have fun, or don't. Its not like I boycotted Tomb Raider because I could only play as the pneumatic Lara Croft, while demanding they add a male character called Johnny Bigballs, endowed on a Croftian scale, so I could play as my own gender.

2. You Are Not Free

"Oh, oh! I've got another question.

What if a homosexual worked on the development of, let's say, breakfast cereal. Would that mean you had gotten 'the gay' inside you? What about your kids?!?! Think of the children!!!!!! they will have gotten the gay inside them too!

Hey! Maybe that's it! Homosexuality isn't a naturally occurring variance that just seems to be everywhere because of the incredibly fucking huge number of Humans all connected (probably with wires that have the gay on them). No! Homosexuality is a vast conspiracy by the breakfast cereal people to turn your kids into fruit loops (Ha!).

Holy shit! Fruit Loops are made from (gay) people!!!!!! Why did you leave us Charlton Heston?"

So.... because of that moronic, nonsensical rant, I should allow someone to push their homosexuality into my kids lives? No, thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I should allow someone to push their homosexuality into my kids lives?

What's the alternative? Carry on pretending that gay people don't exist? They'll have to learn some time. What if one or more of your kids is gay? How difficult are you making their lives by telling them they're not acceptable?

My daughter is a relationship with another woman. She's the happiest I've ever seen her in a relationship, reminds me of when I was first in love (with someone of the opposite gender, not that it makes any difference, didn't want you thinking I'd pushed her into it). She's had multiple crappy "straight" relationships and this is the first time I've seen her this happy with a partner. It makes me seethe when reactionaries like you try to use their kids as an excuse for bigotry. My kids are just as important as yours and their lifestyle choices are theirs alone. Deal with it and stop trying to push your heterosexuality into my kid's lives.

2. Don Jefe

So because of your moronic fears and nonsensical bias you're going to raise your kids to be scared of gay people too? Well, thanks for that I guess. It's good to instill baseless fears in children. If you don't do that they might grow up to be productive and likable people. We really don't need anymore productive, or likable, people. We're full up.

1. You Are Not Free

"you're going to raise your kids to be scared of gay people too?"

Sorry, but the only moronic fears and nonsensical bias around here is clearly in your own head. As evidenced by your incredible douche-bag comment with regards to what YOU THINK I think or how you might imagine I'm going to raise my kids. It's only matched by the irrelevance of your thoughts with regards to such. Idiot.

2. You Are Not Free

"I'm not sure you have given enough thought to your logic. Put some development time in then reassess your bias. Half assing bias gives a bad name to people with proper, fully developed biases."

I think you should take your own advice.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1

I wouldn't let my kids near the recent Mass Effect version for the same reason. Vote with your wallet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

+1 - The Sims for the same reason.

12. RISC OS

You know you spend too long in front of a computer...

... if your looking for someone in-game to marry.

Whatever you are into, boys, girls, ladyboys... look in the real world.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Facepalm

You are so right!

Likewise if you play COD, stop wasting time in front of the computer and get into the real world and start slaughtering! All you tetris fans, start destroying real walls! All you pacman heads, take pills and eat ghosts in real life.

13. Tom 7

Havent they heard of 1950's coding techniques

or did they think it was called Objectional Orientation Programming?

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: Havent they heard of 1950's coding techniques

Objectional Orientation Programming sounds like a 'Safe Search' feature for satnav systems. You know, like if you needed an ATM but didn't want to have to go inside a titty bar to use it.

14. mickey mouse the fith

Nintendo`s biggest market is kids, the last thing most parents would want is little timmy asking why ryu and ken are kissing like mummy and daddy do. Also, how will they handle breeding ingame?

These activists are barking up the wrong tree if they think the majority want poofters in kids games.

And where do you stop?, multiple wives are common in some cultures as are child brides and forced partnerships, imagine a game that included that little lot to avoid upsetting the locals.

Nintendo are 100% right for the decision they made, and if the gay crowd dont like it, then tough, dont buy it, go and play arseraiders 5 or whatever floats your boat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

"..arseraiders 5.."

I'm trying to imagine such a game...

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Happy

re: I'm trying to imagine such a game...

I bet you are. Looks good, yeah?

2. d3vy

arseraiders 5..

Finally a reason to buybthe occulus rift!

2. sabroni Silver badge
      WTF?

re: the last thing most parents would want...

... is little timmy asking why ryu and ken are kissing like mummy and daddy do

Well maybe most parents (citation needed) should stop being so uptight and just explain that ryu and ken love each other just like mummy and daddy do and that's why they're kissing. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

15. Hilmi Al-kindy

Attention seeking and desperate attempts at social acceptance

In my opinion, all this protesting is just a desperate attempt at getting social recognition for gay marriages. I am a Muslim and my religion allows polygamy, you don't find me screeming in outrage why a game doesn't represent my life style. Why? Because I don't feel desperate to prove anything to world. I am convinced that there is nothing wrong with my moral standards, therefore I don't need to shove my morals down everybody's throat and scream about inequality. I have nothing to prove, I don't care for the acceptance of others because I know I am right.

The day the G&L community stops screaming about such trivial things, is the day I know that they are truly convinced there is nothing wrong with what they are doing. The way I see it, a person who is confident that their actions are not wrong, does not need to prove anything to the world. If they feel discriminated against, let them campaign where it matters like discrimination in the work place or recognition of marriage or some such matter. They don't need project their moral values on me and enforce them on me and expose my children to their values.

Just imagine the outrage in the USA if Nintendo released a game that allowed polygamy. I wonder how many of those same G&L campaigners would campaign for the rights of those of different religious beliefs.

16. Tank boy
    Childcatcher

This is unfortunate

I'm so sorry I let the wife convince me into buying a Wii. Until I bought Mortal Kombat and Pirates! but I guess same sex/transgender is out of bounds for the Nintendo folks. Sure you can get a fatality or rob and pillage, but we can't have anything that racy.

17. Zot
    Facepalm

It's just a fecking computer game folks!

They can design it how they want, leave politics out if it.

Talking of politics...

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” - John Lydgate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like