back to article Britain'll look like rural Albania without fracking – House of Lords report

The UK needs to get a move on and exploit its rich shale gas resources to avoid losing its energy intensive industries, the House of Lords' economics committee has reported. So far only tentative exploratory work to research the quality of the shale formations has taken place in the UK – and commercial exploitation appears to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. Ole Juul

Fresh water: It's the new oil.

I'm in Canada so we still have some water left. I'd be worried about it if I was in Europe.

It's not entirely clear if fracking isn't going to be costing us more in water processing that we gain in energy. If not processing of sea water and/or polluted ground water, then import by ship or pipeline is going to cost. Yep, sounds like oil.

1. Nigel 11

Re: Fresh water: It's the new oil.

The UK has considerable advantages on that front. We have high rainfall (Southeast excepted), and we're a fairly small island so it ought to be possible to pipe seawater to just about anywhere. I'm assuming that one can frack with seawater? Not so sure about what sort of pollution is in the water returned post-fracking, but unless there are cumulative toxins, the sea is very large and can dilute almost anything that's not bio-accumulative to harmlessness.

2. briesmith

Is the writer serious?

Canada short of water?

A huge country covered in vast depths of snow for 13 months of the year?

A vast country with even vaster lakes?

What is he on? I always thought Canadians were too dull to be doing drugs but perhaps I was wrong?

1. Ole Juul

@briesmith

Your comment is too simplistic. In Canada it's not about how much water there is in the whole country. It's about what is available in specific areas. Speaking specifically about the results of fracking, it can (and already has in some areas) caused serious pollution to water supplies. That happens for various reasons, one of which is the connection of clean water layers of water with non clean layers. That cannot be repaired, and the damage is permanent. The effected community will then have to get water from elsewhere. In my area we all have our own wells, but if the groundwater was to get polluted, it would not be economically feasible to bring in water from elsewhere. Most people would just have to move - which is not something everybody can afford, or wishes, to do. In a city situation, there would be a taxbase to fund the processing or bringing in of water, but that would still cost everybody a lot.

No, Canada is not short of water, but that doesn't mean it is all available to everybody everywhere. There are also treaties in place with the US which put limits on what we can do with what we have.

Yes, the writer is serious. He just didn't spell it all out for you.

2. Naughtyhorse

loads of water

all contaminated with frcking chemicals :-)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Happy

@briesmith

"What is he on? I always thought Canadians were too dull to be doing drugs but perhaps I was wrong?"

Did you think Cedars and Pines are the only plants that grow tall in the forests of BC?

That pungent herbal aroma is not Pine resin. *

*According to friends who've visited the area on camping trips.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh the irony

Of northern folk out in force protesting against the growth of the subterranean fossil fuel extraction industry...

2. Irongut

We really don't need shale gas, or to import as much gas as we do. There is still billions of boe in the North Sea and most of it even has the required infrastructure nearby.

1. Andy 97

Can you back this claim?

I'd like some evidence if possible.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Of course it will look like Albania

...because for some reason, wind and solar power are somehow vulgar, but millions of gallons of nasty chemicals injected into the ground and affecting water, isn't.

Carry on.

There is of course the nuclear option, but do you really trust the same money bags that brought you private rail, the NHS digital disaster, the great BBS digital failure, GOV.UK and all the other fun and expensive "projects" you've had to pay for and didn't work... actually building a reliable nuke plant?

Think about that one. Carefully.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Of course it will look like Albania

They'd contract the nuclear stuff out to the French government (in the guise of EDF) though, so at least the plants would be well-run, even if the price turns out to be eye-watering.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

Re: Of course it will look like Albania

"They'd contract the nuclear stuff out to the French government (in the guise of EDF) though, so at least the plants would be well-run, even if the price turns out to be eye-watering."

The price is being agreed now.

It is eyewatering, and like the solar FIT guaranteed.

4. John Savard

Suggestion

Build nuclear reactors instead. They are carbon-free, and the objections to them are false and hysterical. Which isn't true of all the objections to fracking, even if it's true of some of them.

1. asdf

Re: Suggestion

I thought the big problem with nuclear is the huge cost on the back side decommissioning plants (as well as the huge cost of building them but I am sure evil government regulations will be used to justify that). That is why at Fukushima and as well as others are running their plants longer than maybe they should. The newer generation of plants is so much safer than 50 years ago which will be true in 50 years as well. It averages close to a billion dollars to clean up average plants and some plants cost much more than average like with Fukushima some estimates are close to $100 billion with Chernobyl even higher once all is said and done. Cheap power is very important as it actually benefits the poor more than the rich but the key word is cheap especially in the long run.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Mark 85

On the other hand...

For now Britain is spared the fallout from fracking: earthquakes.

Yes, I'm well aware there's still a lot of argument but it looks like fracking is the culprit in many recent earthquakes here in the States. Just don't build a nuke plant over a fracking site... ok?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On the other hand...

@Mark 85

"Just don't build a nuke plant over a fracking site... ok?"

Clearly the best place to put (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant) such a plant is near the San Andreas fault and then cross your fingers. Hmm kay.

Me: I'm getting my extra long drill bit out. I wonder how far down this stuff is and how much effort is needed to power my boiler (not the wife - the heating one) and cooker?

Cheers

Jon

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Long-term implications of fracking ..

"Many of the unknowns have long-term implications."

http://www.preventcancernow.ca/health-impacts-of-fracking-and-shale-gas-development

"Fracking Hell: The Untold Story"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEB_Wwe-uBM

7. PJI

If I could be bothered ...

it would be interesting to know who is on this committee and what each member's interests are.

I just do not believe this kind of hysteria. This wonderful, perspicacious Conservative-liberal government has been in office for a couple of years now: they are still blaming Labour, trying to dismantle anything to do with renewables, giving oil and gas revenues to private enterprise, otherwise known as American corporations and, guess what, have only just realised that in about a year GB will have an energy problem. Or is this perhaps because it was assumed that there would be b- all industry or business left to need energy and who cares for the population anyway? They do not give backhanders, directorships, speaking tours and all paid trips abroad.

As for all this claim about USA coining it in with fracking: that must explain why its monetary position is even worse than Britain's and it can not afford to weather-proof its buildings or persuade republicans that it can afford to provide medical treatment to the 40 million plus without adequate or any insurance.

Then, how about our near neighbours, like Holland, Germany, France, Scandinavia: is there some odd suggestion that they have a totally different geology and so much better economies and energy supplies that frackable energy sources are not needed so urgently or perhaps at all?

No. These are the same people who say we must help builders by carpeting every centimetre of Britain with houses and shopping centres or that we should be grateful to USA companies for buying and asset-stripping what research and manufacturing remains.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If I could be bothered ...@PJI

"Then, how about our near neighbours, like Holland, Germany, France, Scandinavia: is there some odd suggestion that they have a totally different geology and so much better economies and energy supplies that frackable energy sources are not needed so urgently or perhaps at all?"

Well, if you'd been paying attention instead of believing whatever Red Ed tells you, you'd understand that the Germans have destabilised their power market by building so many subsidies renewables that thermal plant is shutting down left right and centre. Then green weeneis shut down the nuclear plants, and Germany is in the transition from being a moderately low carbon swing producer for the European market to a net importer dependant upon coal fired generation all winter (or beholden to Putin for Russian gas).

Holland is a tiny market, but is a major importer of power from Germany, a situation that won't prevail. France generates 80% of its electrical power from nuclear already - having a warmer climate and no domestic conventional gas reserves it has lower heat demand than the UK or Germany. And the Scandinavians have significant hydro resources, use a lot of gas, oil and nuclear.

As it happens the EU countries with the best geology for shale gas are Poland (who have shed loads of coal that they're happy to use), and France (who don't need it for heat or power).

1. Elmer Phud
        WTF?

Re: Red Ed

"Red Ed"

wtf?

2. cyberelf

Re: If I could be bothered ...@PJI

"Energy infrastructure development and financing in Germany"

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/modernisation/groebel_en.pdf

8. Pete 2 Silver badge

Question time

> The lords ... stating there is actually "little hard evidence of public opinion" one way or another on fracking

The answer you'll get as "public opinion" depends totally on the question you ask:

Do you want to see gas companies drilling in areas of outstanding natural beauty? or:

Do you think we should be doing something to keep electricity prices down and make sure we don't run out of natural gas?

In more than one place I've worked it has been very, very difficult to get changes approved. So hard in fact that it was often easier (and sometimes quicker) to let a failure occur and then have a "whatever it takes" emergency change rushed through to get the failed system back up and working again. In relation to fracking, I would be less than surprised if all the naysayers changed their attitudes in an instant if the lights went out.

Maybe that's the time to ask the question.

9. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Holmes

Ye Gods

"Prof Helm described UK energy policy as "a slow motion car crash"."

Nail. Head.

Elected Governments of the past 20, 30 years - take your pick - have failed to address this PRIMARY REQUIREMENT of a modern economy.

10. RamsBottom

>bodies of hyperthermic OAP's pile up in the streets this (and every other) Winter

I'd heard of AGW (*), but is it really going to get this extreme?

Or did you just not check a dictionary before typing 'hyperthermic'?

(*) Quite a well-known concept, outside ElReg Science Corner. (Where the difference between 'hypo' and 'hyper' is also understood).

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Headmaster

@RamsBottom

Ah the perils of posting in haste and repenting at leisure.

So I've included the appropriate icon.

Thank you for reminding me.

Of course if the OAP's are still dead what, in fact, is the actual difference?

11. brooxta

Choice quote

> Prof Helm described UK energy policy as "a slow motion car crash".

Hear, hear!

12. vonBureck
    Coat

Am I the only one who read that as "Britain'll look like rural Alabama"?

I'll be off to get my new glasses prescription, then.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get Fracking !

As an Indian energy minister once said "There is no power more expensive than no power"

All the wasted energy put into wind and solar (solar in the UK FFS !) has left this country dangerously close to 1970s blackouts. I really do wonder sometimes if this country is run by vegan flip flop wearing morris dancers.

14. Levente Szileszky

What a surprise: "Economic Affairs Committee" prefers...

...cheap energy over everything else and criticizes reports that rather want to factor in environmental protection arguments... credible and unbiased opinion, as always, ehh?.

1. JohnMurray

Re: What a surprise: "Economic Affairs Committee" prefers...

Factor-in the environment all you want. The FACT remains that, as in Germany, electricity will be generrated no matter what. You can either factor-in the environmental problems of giant wind turbines everywhere, generating power when it is not needed, and immobile when the power is needed, or factor-in the problems of larger amounts of coal being used. No electricity equals no heating. Expensive electricity equals no heating and raises the costs of industry.

1. strum

Re: What a surprise: "Economic Affairs Committee" prefers...

>The FACT remains that

Unvarying rule of the internet - when anyone capitalises fact - it isn't one.

15. JohnMurray

The British Geological Survey estimates Bowland shale resources to be about 1,300 trillion Cu/ft. let me see here..a house of commons report (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmenergy/795/79506.htm#a5) gives 20 trillion Cu/ft as good for about 5 years current consumption..Hmm.

Anyway:

http://www.nohotair.co.uk/images/stories/Reports/downloads/uk%20shale%20gas_where%20are%20we%20now.pdf

http://www.nohotair.co.uk/index.php/library

16. Euripides Pants
    WTF?

Question

How does rural Albania differ from downtown Albania?

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Question

Fewer cinemas showing Norman Wisdom films.

1. Euripides Pants

Re: Question

Thanks. Now that that's cleared up I can go back to pondering why bowels never leave forwarding addresses whenever they move.

17. cracked
    Devil

Britain'll look like rural fracking Albania without House of Lords - report

Self serving bunch of ****s, the lot of 'em!

18. John Crisp

It matters not how much is down there. It will still run out. Not if, just when.

Estimates of reserves are one thing. Getting it out is another entirely.

Ultimately we're just putting off the ugly facts none of us want to face or pay for. NIMLs. Not in my lifetimers. Or SEPs....

And when its gone, who clears up ? In the North Sea I believe us tax payers are shelling out big time on rig decommissiong after the 'owners' were a tad careless, hoovered up the oil, and strangely went bust. Or were so poor they need massive subsidies and tax relief to do it.

Hmmmmm. Where did all that cash go ?

And as pointed out above by our NA cousins, there are other costs as well. Buy water is a good plan :-)

I believe I read some while ago it costs about 1 barrel of oil in energy for every 5 extracted in the Gulf, compared to 3 for 5 with shale. Not sure if that is right but certainly energy will still have a higher cost than we've used too.

Either way, burning stuff and chucking the remains in the air can't be that good, whatever you use for the fire. (Having lived 45 years next door to a nuclear station I'd rather those in the short term)

Ah well. Guess it keeps people warm and happy and that buys votes.

1. JonP

It matters not how much is down there. It will still run out. Not if, just when.

This is (IMO) the main problem with fracking (environmental concerns aside) - the best estimate I've heard for the UK is 20-30 years supply. And then what? Yep right back where we are now. Fracking will just be a short term solution to our energy problems - we'd be better off coming up with long term solutions now, instead of all this usual political dicking about.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, it won't look ever look like rural Albania, they have nice weather, food, culture and things :P

20. Oscar

reliant on Russian gas?

Since when have we been reliant on Russian gas? We even got all smug a few years back when Russia and Ukraine had a spat which resulted in the Russian gas supply being turned off precisely because we AREN'T reliant on it ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: reliant on Russian gas?

"Since when have we been reliant on Russian gas?"

Since our own gas reserves and distribution systems were connected to the European gas network by interconnectors, and since our own reserves ceased to cover domestic demand.

We have interconnectors to Belgium and the Netherlands, and the Langeled pipeline to Norwegian gas fields is another indirect connection to the European gas market. So if the Ruskies turn off the gas through Ukraine, Germany sucks the gas out of the wider European system, prices skyrocket, and demand restrictions start coming into force.

The only way we could isolate ourselves from this would be to order LNG on long term contracts for winter delivery (we have the necessary LNG terminals, Europe is less well endowed), close the interconnectors and wave a warm hand at the freezing continentals. Completely feasible, but can you see either Millitwerp or the Bullingdon boys having the intellect or balls to do that?

21. Refugee from Windows

Energy Policy

You mean they have one? I thought, by the actions over the last 20 years that we didn't.

1. JohnMurray

Re: Energy Policy

Of course we have an energy plan.

It depends upon which part of the elect-oral cycle we are in.

At the moment we are in the ¨12 months to go, start slagging the energy producers¨ part of the cycle.

Shortly we shall be in the ¨five years to go, start planning to cut washing machines off when things get sticky¨ part of the cycle.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuckwits

Prof Helm described UK energy policy as "a slow motion car crash".

WELL THANKS ALOT GOVERNMENT !!!!

its not hard to read a fucking bar chart with electricity usage increasing and electricity supply staying steady !!!

Oh wait no you knew this was happening so your prolly running round like mad chickens buying up stock and lands ready to sell when they hit a premium price.

And the idiots actually want me to vote???????? I mean really they actually want my vote saying I "Want" you in power ?!?!

Where's guy fawkes when you need him.

23. codejunky Silver badge

Meh

The only problem I can see with the UK fracking is our gas must be sold on the european market. So we dont get cheaper gas, we are not really independent and our gov will spend the money on whatever bribes they can offer the voter no matter who is in power. The only exception I can see is UKIP who would tell the EU to sod off and have already stated they would protect the profits and save/invest as Norway did with its oil revenue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh

This must be the same UKIP whose leading lights have been taking EU salaries and expenses for rather a lot of years; those who can not count, know no history and are led by a failed financier. The one who, demonstrating his valuation of his countrymen, tells us that none of them could do the secretarial work his mainland European wife manages ( or perhaps that covers only putting up with him).

Are you serious? In the spirit of the babyish Red Ed comment earlier, he is even sillier than Daffy Dave and Sticky Nicky.

24. andy gibson

Long term fracking

The article states "So far only tentative exploratory work to research the quality of the shale formations has taken place in the UK"

But this link shows at least one site - Elswick - operating for decades:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26271662

I believe that was previously owned by British Gas. I wonder where the protesters were in 1993?

25. SeanEllis

Short-termism

Instead of using someone else's technology to extract a limited fossil fuel which is bad for the environment, we should be developing next-gen nuclear (thorium?) technology that we can then sell to the rest of the world.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Society is only three square meals from anarchy & revolution

When the Infrastructure which supplies the country with food & water stops because the energy fails, then expect catastrophic long term socio-economic consequences.

Maybe those in charge are orchestrating this situation, so that they can make money off the subsequent stock market crashes and collapse of society in the process.

I foresee a two-tier society in future - those with sufficient wealth for independent generation & access to power, and those without. Those of us old enough to remember the 1970's recall rolling power black outs, and that was back in the day when the economy was less reliant on technology

This is not an imagined Dystopian future - this is a likely reality, caused by short-term, narrow-minded incompetence on the part of those in Government.

If we have no power - everything else stops.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like