back to article Microsoft: You know we said NO MORE XP PATCHES? Well ...

Microsoft has released patches for the latest critical security vulnerability plaguing Internet Explorer, including for Windows XP – despite months of claiming that it would never release another patch for the outdated OS past April 8 of this year. According to a blog post by Microsoft's general manager of Trustworthy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Number6

Microsoft Time

Anyone who's ever watched Windows downloading a large file will be fully aware that Microsoft can reverse the flow of time and so probably did release the patch before 8th April.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice to see the £millions of public money that government departments have spent on extended-extended support wasn't needed after all...

A great company to deal with.

1. Test Man

WRONG. That would only be right if that millions paid covered that one patch for that one specific product which happened to be the patch that was released.

Clearly it isn't, and clearly there's a ton of patches for XP that are and will be continually created specifically for the people who paid for it.

This specific patch is just one that was freely released at Microsoft's discretion - the rest (of which there will be many for XP this month) won't be.

3. Piro Silver badge

Poor decision

Because it represents a total rip-off for the people who paid for extended support, such as our own government.

If they keep doing this, those organisations will be wondering why they spent any money in the first place, and should be battering down Microsoft's door for their cash.

It's also a poor decision because it will keep people thinking that XP will get important patches anyway. Complacency needs to end.

1. Test Man

Re: Poor decision

Nope. It was one patch to address one specific problem in a specific product (IE) that coincidentally ended it's free support a few weeks ago. It's hardly a rip-off because there'll be a ton of security updates for XP from now till (potentially according to the paid-for contracts) next year, just only for the people who paid for it.

So calm down.

4. Sangriel

I don't understand how software companies get away with releasing software that is full of security holes, not just one or two vulnerabilities but hundreds.What a sad joke it is that people pay good money for what is essentially partiallly functioning garbage.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

We call it market economics: if one product is full of holes, buy another. (And we're talking about IE here, so there is plenty of competition.) But developers have discovered that the crowds, in their wisdom, want cheap software with lots of new features.

1. Fatman

@brewster's angle grinder

But developers have discovered that the crowds, in their wisdom, manglement exuding its sheer stupidity want cheap software with lots of new features, as opposed to software that is free of bugs.

There!!!

FTFY

Manglement: The bane if IT existence worldwide.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I don't understand how software companies get away with releasing software that is full of security holes, not just one or two vulnerabilities but hundreds.What a sad joke it is that people pay good money for what is essentially partiallly functioning garbage."

Yep - modern software often really sucks. For instance Linux has had over 900 security vulnerabilities in the kernel alone, OS-X is on over 2,000 and SUSE 10 is on over 4,000!

For comparison, Windows XP is approaching 700 known vulnerabilities.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quotation needed

I happen to be familiar with Linux, and 900 security vulnerabilities seems to me a bit off the mark. Care to link to your sources?

Nah, I think that you're exposing your ignorance here. SUSE 10 may have or have not 4000 vulnerabilities, but if the kernel had 900, and SUSE is using the same kernel, you're saying that the whole lot of software shipped with SUSE 10 had what, 3100 vulnerabilities?

Go scare somewhere else.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"In extreme circumstances...

the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain... I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain"

6. tony2heads
    Linux

XP

Surely the old yeller of operating systems.

Surely Microsoft should get the rifle out for it now

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: XP

WINDOWS

Surely the old yeller of operating systems.

Surely Microsoft should get the rifle out for it now

FTFY

7. Stevie

Bah!

One morning in a galaxy far, far away:

"Yes, let us abandon the most popular desktop OS we've ever sold in such a way as to leave us open to stories forevermore on how we walked away from a trainwreck in the interest of sales.

Wait, wouldn't that get us seen in a bad light by the only people who don't hate us now? I mean seriously, have you used windows 8? What a big pile of stinking OH HELLO BOSS. What's that? New policy? I'll get right on it!"

8. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Windows

Upgrades? Pah!

{grumble}. I suppose I shall have to fork out for a 486 next.

9. Matt Collins

Environmental Impact

So 30% of all Windows desktops run XP according to my reading of the posts here. These machines work perfectly well and/or the software/OS/browser is locked in - which is why they are still in use - but we are supposed to just dump them? It's insane.

Imagine if car manufacturers behaved this way. Oh, sorry sir we can't be arsed to make the parts for your model any more, even though 30% of our customers drive them. Go and sling it in the dump and then have a look around the showroom.

I've got my popcorn ready for the MASSIVE botnet offensive that Microsoft will create. It will cause misery for everyone who upgraded as well as those that didn't.

10. david 12 Silver badge

Win2K

When I installed Office on Win2K I gut current updates for Office, despite the fact the Win2K wasn't just un-supported -- it was kinda "withdrawn" because of the Java settlement.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like