back to article Tesla firms hot bottoms: TITANIUM armor now bolted to Model S e-cars

Tesla is adding a three-level shield of aluminum and titanium to the underside of its Model S e-car to eliminate the possibility of battery blazes and placate US safety authorities. In separate accidents, two of the electric rides burst into flames shortly after running over debris in the road: in each case, whatever they hit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. the spectacularly refined chap

With a track record of zero deaths or serious, permanent injuries since our vehicles went into production six years ago, there is no safer car on the road than a Tesla.

Am I the only one that instantly thinks of the claims made about Concorde prior to 2000? Concorde always proudly boasted a perfect safety record too, again if you overlook not-so-minor issues - fires for Tesla, rudders falling off for Concorde.

Of course in both cases the "record" is a statistical quirk of relatively small sample sizes and easily moved dramatically by a small number of events - in the case of Concorde of course a single crash was enough to revoke the airworthiness certificates of the entire fleet. Similarly it doesn't take a lot for Tesla's record even on those narrow criteria to go down the toilet.

1. James O'Shea

I'm pretty sure I saw someone claiming that the 777 was the safest passenger aircraft flying... until a little under three weeks ago, that is.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

I'm pretty sure I saw someone claiming that the 777

It probably still is - per flight hours. It is once again a function of lies, lies and damn statistics.

The accident probability in aircraft is proportional to take off/landings, not flight hours. So when you apply "per flight hour" statistics to something that is used only on 8h+ routes you get a very glowing rosy safety picture.

Same as with the Tesla - for the time being it does not see shoddy maintenance by "approved franchises". So compared to the rest of the industry it is a statistical anomaly. I do not see how will Elon manage to maintain this when (and if) it stops being an anomaly and becomes a mass production vehicle which uses the mass production vehicle mainenance infrastructure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Am I the only one that instantly thinks of the claims made about Concorde prior to 2000?

No. I thought that sentence was a bit risquée too.

2. staplethat

Will the add-ons increase the length of time it takes to change a battery?

3. Gil Grissum

Short of attempting to go off roading and rock crawling in a Tesla, what sort of freeway were the two affected cars traveling on that had obstructions large enough to puncture a battery compartment from underneath the car?

1. rhydian

It depends how thick the previous material was and how it was fitted.

I lost a sump in an alfa romeo thanks to a load of stone from a bridge parapet being left artlessly in the road

2. James O'Shea

"what sort of freeway were the two affected cars traveling on that had obstructions large enough to puncture a battery compartment from underneath the car?"

I take it that you've never been on I-95 south of Halendale Beach in Florida. If you had, you would not be asking that question. I-75 south of the I-595 interchange in Broward County has similar problems. And, week before last Friday, I-95 at the Sawgrass Express exit had (briefly) all the obstructions you could want. There was a five-care pileup, with two of the vehicles leaving behind all the glass in their rear windows, plus their bumpers, plus their rear light assemblies, plus assorted other parts. Four lanes blocked. This did not prevent one bright young lad on a motorcycle from attempting to blow through the mess at roughly 80 MPH. Notice the magic word 'attempt'. Said motorbike became the sixth vehicle. Great fun was had by all. The authorities _did_ have that section of I-95 cleaned up again in a few hours. From Hallendale Beach south is a permanent mess, though.

4. Jade

"pushed out a software update to make its vehicles ride higher"

Is that normal now-a-days (for software to control the space between the road and the underside of the vehicle)? And if so, could it (or is it) adaptive so that it might, for instance, increase the distance automatically based on how smooth the road is?

5. Inachu

Only mouth breathing energy wasting gas guzzling nobodies hate the Tesla.

The religion of Elon Musk will continue as planned.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait

When the "armor" launches the Tesla S into another vehicle or object the lawsuits will start in ernest.

7. Jim 59
    Joke

Twitter

@gowmana (Twitter) "The comments section in the Register are a marvel of geeky oneupmanship: http://t.co/3dCctXbIfa"

No no no gowmana I know of several internet forums that are much more geeky and oneupmanshippy, for example http://www--

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like