back to article NSA 'hunted sysadmins' to find CAT PHOTOS, high-level passwords

Staff at the United States' National Security Agency reportedly “hunted” system administrators because they felt doing so would yield passwords that enabled easier surveillance. So says The Intercept, which claims this document came its way thanks to one E. Snowden, late of Moscow. The document is apparently a lift from an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Hunted sysadmins?

The full works, with horses, dogs, horns and fancy clothes?

Just call me Reynard.

I'll get my coat, scatter some aniseed, cross the ploughed field, wade upstream and leave by a low-hanging branch...

2. Allan George Dyer
    Facepalm

Telnet traffic?

Really? So they were going after the low-hanging fruit. Who uses the telnet protocol when ssh is available?

The telnet program, OTOH, is a useful http/smtp client.

1. Alistair
      Big Brother

Re: Telnet traffic?

At least *someone* else caught that bit.

I beat SA's back to userland if I catch them using telnet.

Netcat now.....

appropriate icon is appropriate

3. TJ1

And this is why Gary McKinnon et al should never face extradition ...

... proceedings, let alone having to fight them tooth and nail.

With this knowledge in the open how can any court in good conscience find it equitable to extradite - or even accept an extradition application for - a UK citizen to the USA to face charges whilst the USA does much worse to citizens and sys-admins of other countries, and their civil corporations, with impunity?

1. Swarthy

Why Gary McKinnon et al faced extradition ...

1) They were hunting on the Intel Agencies' private reserves

2) They exposed holes that then had to be closed, holes that The Agencies may have wanted to use

3) Because what The Agencies are doing is illegal, so anyone doing the same must also be breaking the law

4) They did not have the money/political power/blackmail material/agents to "make it all go away"

All perfectly valid reasons</sarcasm>

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: And this is why Gary McKinnon et al should never face extradition ...

"... proceedings, let alone having to fight them tooth and nail.

With this knowledge in the open how can any court in good conscience find it equitable to extradite - or even accept an extradition application for - a UK citizen to the USA to face charges whilst the USA does much worse to citizens and sys-admins of other countries, and their civil corporations, with impunity?"

Because he targeted the DoD and is therefor officially a "bad guy."

And basically made the DoD SysAdmins of the time look like jackasses.

Which is of course unforgivable.

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
    WTF?

Alice in wonderland ...

when the lawmakers are busy breaking the laws they make to uphold the law ...

Makes "Spycatcher*" look positively tame

*Where a former MI5 agent revealed how he "burgled and bugged" his way across the UK - completely illegally.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they're after organised sysadmins who use social media then? Duly noted.

6. mastodon't
    Pint

BOFH and the PFY must be quaking in their Hush Puppies

Type your comment here feel free to use flash, cold fusion or <blink> cool effects</blink>

1. Scroticus Canis
      Black Helicopters

Re: BOFH and the PFY must be quaking in their Hush Puppies

Damn beat me to it. They do seem to be making the PFY's role in the BOFH's downfall redundant don't they.

BOFH Now With Added Danger - think we need a few episodes along the Spy v Spy meme Simon.

7. Stevie

Bah!

"our 5-eyes partners "

The NSA are in bed with the Groaci? Is Mr Magnan aware of this?

8. Vociferous

I have a folder of cat pictures.

Just saying.

1. mastodon't
      Boffin

Re: I have a folder of cat pictures.

I presume it's on a hidden volume in a faraday cage and encrypted in rot13 like mine.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Two thoughts on this article...

1. So the NSA only goes after criminals, terrorists, enemy agents or the leadership of unfriendly nations--or sysadmins and network engineers who. probably have no knowledge that the bad guys are even on their network. Or the friends and family of the sysadmin, looking for some shared password or info to help compromise the sysadmin. And of course the NSA doesnt care if the sysadmin's career gets affected if they are viewed by their mangement as lax about security.

2. Sysadmins can get away with anything? Poetically, Edward Snowden came to the same conclusion...

NSA=f'in scumbags

10. Tank boy
    Holmes

Snowden has nothing new to offer. He's just coming up with things to make sure his people know he's still alive and not in some gulag. When Putin tires of his ass, we won't hear shit from him except that ambulance chasing lawyer of his will just send out press releases. Snowden isn't dropping bombshells, he's just being Captain Obvious at this point.

1. Adrian 4

Snowden has repeatedly said he's not controlling the news releases, the journalists are. And they know how to play the system : if everything had been released on day 1, it would all be forgotten by now. Adding new details avery few weeks keeps the story alive and has a decent chance of getting proper attention to the abuse of law.

11. FormerKowloonTonger
    Devil

This! Just! In!

From of all leakers!....th' Guardian!.....what a wonderful punning op!

.....pasted here for convenience!

....."The Guardian home

News

Email

Yahoo, Google and Apple also claim right to read user emails

Like Microsoft, other webmail giants all reserve the right to read user emails, if 'deemed necessary'...."

----end paste.

All ye wankers!...drop yer pants!.....th' World is a-waitin'!

1. FormerKowloonTonger
      Trollface

....here's a better paste.....and a challenger of a Chicken-Egg question....which came first, the Yahoos! or th' GCHQ......Willy Wankers want to know!

"News for yahoo and google all reading emails

Yahoo, Google and Apple also claim right to read user emails

The Guardian ‎- 2 days ago

Microsoft is not unique in claiming the right to read users' emails – Apple, Yahoo and Google all reserve that right as well, the Guardian has ..."

-------end paste.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like