back to article Apple pushes back release date for 'dustbin chic' Mac Pro

It has been described as Darth Vader's dustbin, but that hasn't stopped fanbois from salivating over the new Mac Pro. But they will have to keep drooling a little while longer after Apple pushed back the release date of their new high-end desktop to April. Customers in Blighty, Europe and the Far East may have to wait until …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Stevie
    Happy

Bah!

It looks like one of those cyber marital aids everyone was frothing about a few weeks ago.

What's with the annulus? Do streamers and sprinkles shoot out of it to alert one to the advent of a new model of iPhone?

2. Gil Grissum

OMG. Delays in shipping the R2D2 Edition Mac Pro? What shall we do while waiting?

1. Admiral Grace Hopper
  3. Jay 2

I finally saw a new Mac Pro the other day. Whilst it's an interesting concept, the fact that it starts at £2500 and will require external storage counts me out. So my 2008 Mac Pro will soldier on, but it's only a matter of time until the next release of Mac OS X decides not to support it.

Annoyed that I'll probably have to replace it with a Mac Mini and some sort of external storage that will no doubt require more cables everywhere and yet another plug socket.

4. mastodon't
    Gimp

Dell same-day onsite fixit-tards

I wonder why the need for this, could it be that they break ALL the time.

we had 2x dell laptops for testing websites and presentations for a company i worked for and both needed new motherboards, one within 6 months and the other the week after the warranty expired.

I've had one day of downtime with my MacPro since 2008 when a power unit went, had a new one shipped next day, I fitted it in 10 minutes and then carried on working.

I'll be giving it a year before getting my darth dustbin to avoid beta-testing so April shipping is no biggie to me.

1. Sp0ck

Re: Dell same-day onsite fixit-tards

All manufacturers get bad reviews from people who have had bad experiences. I like Dell, I've got a 3 year old Latitude here that is used everyday all day and has performed faultlessly. The only thing that went wrong was the HDMI slot, this is because the dog dragged it off the table whilst it was plugged in. The machine has the accidental damage + next day warranty. I called them up, they came next day with a new mobo and it was sorted. Is that possible with Apple?

We also have a Dell Studio laptop. This has had a few issues, all sorted the next day by an on-site visit. The issues were pretty minor.....the 'M' key stopped working and the machine half died due to over-heating because the fan vents were blocked. Dell sorted them FOC through the warranty. I'm pretty sure Apple would not have replaced the motherboard and graphics card through the warranty on a macbook if the cooling vents were blocked with fluff.

So, in my eyes, even though Dells might not be 100% reliable their warranty is (IMO) second to non.

1. PJI

Re: Dell same-day onsite fixit-tards

>>I'm pretty sure Apple would not have replaced the motherboard

Did on mine when I managed to destroy USB (too embarrassed to reveal how, though I did explain to Apple), right at the end of, actually a few days over the guarantee period, gratis. I was amazed and very grateful.

5. CmdrX3

I think as far as the Mac Pro is concerned I don't know if I'd call them fanbois. For the most most part they will be used in a professional environment and usually an environment (i.e publishing) where the Mac is generally the standard. That's not to say some fb's won't buy one, I'm sure they will... just so they can say they have one as if it's some sort of elite prize.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upgrades?

Why cant I just pay $7000, I dont care about the spec I just want to brag about how I spent $7000 on a Mac. Picking upgrades takes too much time. If only Apple could design an aluminium box with upgrade written on it that I can jack into a thunderbolt port. Thats how upgrades should work.

Oh well, ill have to find another way to spend $7000 that doesn't use my precious time up.

Ive got screenplays to write and vine videos to make.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We ordered our Mac Pro in December and are still waiting! Why on earth didn't Apple plan this launch a little better!? Regard the price - you get one hell of a machine for the money spent!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like