back to article Volunteers slam plans to turn Bletchley Park into 'geeky Disneyland'

Bletchley Park is planning to replace its volunteer tour guides with actors in a bid to turn the historical attraction into a "geeky Disneyland", The Register has learned. A number of people contacted The Reg after we wrote about the Bletchley Park Trust's decision to sack a pensioner after he showed visitors around the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. Lallabalalla

Re: Whilst I want Bletchley to keep going

+1 for having been "an actor in a fish museum" :)

1. The elephant in the room
        Happy

Hi, I'm Troy McClure; You may remember me from interactive exhibits such as "Electric Eeels - The Shocking Truth" and "Codfather - The Captain Birdseye Story"...

2. Captain Hogwash
      Linux

Re: fish museum

Where is this fish museum? It sounds like the sort of thing I'd like to visit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

That's nothing; Amsterdam has a museum dedicated to sheep farts.

At least, that's what I think it says... ;-)

2. ukgnome

Re: fish museum - @Captain Hogwash

That would be the National Fishing Heritage Centre in Grimsby

My job there was in the futuristic exhibition loosely based around fish called "the posiedon experiment", it involved artefacts having their memory read by the organic super computer known as the organism. It culminated in a motion cinema experience which explored the memory of a long dead fisherman.

1. Captain Hogwash

Ah, so more of a fishing museum then. Not quite what I was looking for but thanks for the information.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Ah, so more of a fishing museum then

Of course. The only way you could do a fish museum is with a couple of very serious freezers, and even then they won't keep that long..

1. Lars Silver badge
              Joke

"The only way you could do a fish museum is with a couple of very serious freezers". Not so sure about that, there must be a singing fish museum somewhere in the US. No freezers needed, earplugs perhaps.

2. Captain Hogwash

Re: serious freezers

Well, first I'd point out the icon in my original post. Then, if you still thought I was serious, I'd play along and ask if you'd ever heard of taxidermy? Have a good day.

2. Bigbird3141

I think this is what you're after: fish in a museum (you can even see some on the front page)

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/tring/

It seems to be where the NHM put all the interesting stuff when they dumbed down the main museum.

Have you seen the dinosaur exhibit now? A few interesting skeletons and an awful lot of manufactured "educational" rubbish e.g. the animated t-rex.

2. stu 4

Re: fish museum - @ukgnome

they should have called it 'The Fish Museum'. sounds much better.

3. Anonymous Blowhard

Then you'd probably enjoy a trip to "Barometer World":

http://www.barometerworld.co.uk/

Or, failing that, try "Badgerland":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Museum_of_Everything#Badgerland

3. Elmer Phud

" What actor would do that?"

More likely instructed to keep 'em moving and keep referring to the gift shop.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I actually used to work as an actor in a fish museum

I'm not going to ask.

1. Big_Boomer Silver badge

LALALALA! We're not listening because we are right and you are wrong!

Sounds like a typical British bureaucrat. Me right, you wrong,... me alpha, you butt kisser. How do these people get these jobs when they quite obviously don't have a clue? Oh yeah, it's given them as a reward for being a good boy and kissing the right butts for many years. Ability???? Why would that have any bearing on the matter? I'll have you know I've had dinner with Lord MuckettyMuck and ,my daughters horse is stabled at the same stable as the Queens 3rd butlers sons cleaner.

1. Havin_it

Re: LALALALA! We're not listening because we are right and you are wrong!

The Queen's 3rd butler's son's cleaner lives in a stable?

You should give the Mirror a call with that one!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nest steps

Let's see, based on past performance of national assets, the trick goes:-

- Get £8million in funding

- Makes claims of "world class" something or other

- Sell off family silver to $PARTY_DONOR

- Rinse and repeat

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know he's on the way...

"The Trust have been trying to recruit actors to film chunks for their new interactive displays, with little regard for accuracy"

If only there was an actor who has sketchy (at best) knowledge of all things technical but everybody trusts because he's so lovely........

Someone call Fry!!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: You know he's on the way...

The role would suit him. You can imagine him there, tweed jacket, smoking pipe, and his 30 year old Macintosh hooked up to the Enigma machine which was graciously rescuded from the German's by the Yanks.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Seriously though, Stephen Fry seems a natural fit to champion this cause. Though some might criticise him on points of detail, he a genuine interest in technology, gay rights, languages and German history - and has a larger profile amongst the wider population than The Reg does.

Don't forget that he was vocal in his support of Paul Chambers, the man who was prosecuted (and later acquitted) after he tweeted jokingly that he would 'blow up Robin Hood airport'.

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: Stephen Fry seems a natural fit to champion this cause.

So somebody on Twitter send him a tweet.

2. Elmer Phud

If it ain't Apple would he bother?

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

If it ain't Apple would he bother?

Maybe someone from Apple might take it over so they could grab anything not copyright. Writing on valves or some such?

Wrinkly enamel paint?

Got it:

Cobwebs for debugging.

I'm pretty sure that hasn't ever been copyright

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"blow it sky high" but I take your point

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Money, as always, is the problem

They desperately needed money, then the lottery cash arrived - and with it came a whole new bunch of people with ideas on how to spend it.

Remember the early lottery ads? "It could be you!" the disembodied voice proclaimed, as a big finger came out of the sky and pointed at random people on the street. I don't really think sacking elderly volunteers was what they had in mind.

5. Steve Todd

Stop me if I'm wrong

But actors need know nothing about the subject they are being filmed on (and being as it's film they need not worry about being asked questions). All they do is read their lines. It's the WRITERS that need to know their subject.

6. a well wisher

Why not ....

film the existing volunteers giving their current presentation rather than actors ?

They already know all the likely questions so can cover those, have the enthusiasm for the subject etc

Unfortunately they will need to be replaced at some time ( due to the march of time..) - rather their presentation ( which I've experienced ) than some bloddy actor or worse Mr Stephen (Gary Kildall who ?) Fry

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is entirely predictable. For some years now any (BBC, anyway) history documentary has been a shitty docu-drama, like they're specifically catering for the audience that only watch implausible action movies or Disney CGI animations, and never watch anything made back in the days of monochrome. One charitably imagines those who decided to go this route thinking it is the only one likely to impart knowledge to the modern audience; except that it approaches knowledge the same way Hollywood does; the 'story' is more important than accuracy. My impression has been that History as entertainment morphs into entertainment as History at the speed of light.

1. ckm5

I don't think you've really ever experienced shitty docudramas unless you've seen US television. Seriously, it's so bad I'd gladly pay the license fee just to watch anything from the BBC.

2. Lamont Cranston

I don't think this is true.

Not all history on the beeb is in "docu-drama" format - there's plenty of person-who-knows-what-they're-talking-about-presenting-to-camera, too (Lucy Worsley's recent series comes to mind, particularly as her passion for the subject really comes through).

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: I don't think this is true.

Hmmmmm ... my general opinion is, and always has been, that if you can remember the name of the person doing a documentary, then that documentary has failed. It has become a vehicle for the presenter, not a documentary. David Attenborough and James Burke, wonderful as they were back in the day, were* essentially brands before there was much recognition of the concept in the minds of the public. Michael Wood consolidated it through the marketing of the "sexy academic", and then Tony Robinson made archaeology a branch of acting. The current crop of PR'd academics are just really irritating - Brian Cox, Neil Oliver and that bunch of vapid creatures on "Coast" are at the top of that list, but it goes on and on ...

I rarely watch any documentaries these days, and certainly not if I recognise the name of the person doing it - I think the only one I've watched in the last 12 months was the series about Bigfoot/Yetis, which wasn't particularly good but had no-one I'd ever heard of on it.

*Attenborough still is, of course, but I don't watch anything by him any more.

8. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

World class attraction

That phrase immediately sets of alarms. If you have a world class historical site, WHY do so many idiots feel the need to foist their vision of "a world-class attraction" on it. Sure, you can add meaningful entertainment to historical sites without spoiling it (I remember a castle in France which had installed a series of games in the courtyard, all either old, or meaningfully linked to the history of the place (like a simple game with toy crossbows, or an old variant of skittles). Really good sites allow at least a degree of exploration, allowing you to make up your own mind, and don't force one particular vision and one particular style down a visitor's throat. Why should Bletchley Park have problems with the different approach and attitude of the museum.

Someones ego needs deflation

9. Terry 6 Silver badge

Building a reputation

There's no Kudos or career development in leaving things alone.

No one ever got promoted for not fixing something that wasn't broke.

But if you want glory, an OBE and/or a well paid job in a shiny big national museum you need to do a job of work on something smaller first........

10. cpage

Send them an email

I have just sent them an email to protest about these changes, using their webform on

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/contact.rhtm

If lots of us do the same, maybe they will get the point.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Send them an email

Wonder if it would be worth ccing Baroness Trumpington.

As a wartime employee there she might have some interest in how her work is being presented.

11. Brenda McViking
    FAIL

Looking at the BPT Board members...

It would seem that none of the trustees have any engineering or computer experience between them, save one woman who did "computer programming" for a couple of years before climbing the corporate ladder, and a telecoms exec. That said, there are Lawyers, Civil Servants, Historians and investment bankers aplenty.

No wonder Collosus, Tunny or any of the exhibits that made Bletchley park what it was have no support - it's too busy being run by executives who have no appreciation for what happened there from the technical and mathematical point of view. A woefully unqualified Board to run Bletchley, if you ask me, even if they can run large organisations.

And yeah, the Gullivers Kingdom guy is still on the board too - tells you all you need to know.

12. MrMur

I think the actors were for filming segments of footage for use during the tour, not presenting the tours themselves.

I did the old tour with two 9-yearolds and I can say they got very bored unfortunately. Definitely not suitable for the younger consumer. I enjoyed it but I did feel it was a little slow in places. There was an element of is/is not colossus viewable today which I found a bit confusing. In the end we saw it.

Changes definitely welcome, but being sensible about it is also welcome.

1. Lamont Cranston

Very sensible comment.

No museum is going to survive solely on middle-aged patrons. Still, sacking the tour guides is probably not the answer (I caught the piece on Radio 4, where the guide was sacked after taking his group round the computer museum - utterly heartbreaking).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A message from the target of these 'improvements'

My daughter listened to a family discussion of this news; she's currently in the first year of secondary school and visited BP and TNMOC last year. She was absolutely outraged, she thought both sites were fascinating just as they were. She assertively asked me to post here pointing out that these changes are to increase the appeal to people her age, and it sounds like the opposite to her.

She wants to write a letter making that point - who's best to send it to ? I'm thinking the Chairman of the BP trustees, c/o the BP main address ?

1. David Pollard
      Pint

Re: A message from the target of these 'improvements'

Maybe an FoI request would be in order to ask what supervision there is to ensure that lottery funding is used appropriately?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/search/lottery/all

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Good for her!

3. Paul_Murphy

There is no need to limit a letter to one person, Think your MP, Bletchley local councillors, local and national newspapers, the education board, BPT trustees - the list goes on.

14. Annihilator
    Boffin

Already happening

I've been to Bletchley twice now, once about 2 years ago and then again last October.. The difference was quite telling, in that it's now more public-friendly (shorter tours, eletronic "tour guide" iPod Touchs with video clips narrated by Jonathan Foyle and some "re-enactments").

I preferred the older version, which was a lot more rustic and feeling like you were exploring the old site, instead of what is becoming a tourist attraction built on the old site. But I know what is more likely to attract people to visit, so I can understand the motives.

The computing museum though, is very much a SPB style shed outfit, which I enjoyed immensely.

1. TNMOC peter

Re: Already happening

"The computing museum though, is very much a SPB style shed outfit, which I enjoyed immensely."

A well decorated shed built out of stone I might add, full of restored and working machines of all ages (Saturdays best to see then running) and equally working, enthusiastic volunteers of all ages.

www.tnmoc.org

15. KirstarK

You forgot to mentioned they are sealign off areas to stop people seeing it even though its sod all to do with them.

16. CM
    Stop

Journalism note

"were furious about the Trust's plans to modernise Bletchley"

Do flag up all such uses of the m... verb. Do not use in a straight manner when it means "peddle some crap idea" or "sack volunteers" or "dumb down" :-)

17. Christopher Slater-Walker

I did what a previous posted suggested, and put this on BPs comments page at

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/contact.rhtm

Copy it to your heart's content, but send it to them!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you people think you're doing?

Colossus, Tunny etc. were an integral part of what happened at Bletchley Park. "Integral" means that those things that did happen, could not have happened without them.

Therefore it is beyond my understanding how these items are considered by the Trustees of Bletchley Park as non-central to the whole story of the place.

I note that you continue to receive substantial rent from TNMOC, yet you consider that Colossus and Tunny are no longer worthy of being part of your guided tours. (I count myself lucky, therefore, to have taken the tour some time ago, while they were still part of it).

Also note that TNMOC say that the inclusion of these items in the tour formed an important part of your successful Lottery funding bid. It looks very dishonest indeed to now exclude them.

Please reconsider this matter. How can you possibly give a full understanding of the technological and intellectual brilliance which was so much a part of Bletchley Park's wartime success, when you don't take paying visitors to see the concrete results of that brilliance?

Regards, etc.

1. Intractable Potsherd

I've taken your template and sent it now.

18. dervheid
    Thumb Down

Dumbing down.

This seems to be part of the overall agenda of this scumvernment and the associated 'establishment'. They don't want a well-educated populace that can challange their authoritarianism; they want the sheeple dumb enough, skint enough and hungry enough to be grateful for the scraps from their table.

Another example of the "look at the shiny-shiny" distractions being pumped out.

19. Stoneshop

Old hands' tales

I've visited the Landschaftspark in Dusseldorf twice. It's a decomissioned steel plant, with its blast furnaces and such made accessible to the public (not all of it; its gasometer is now a diving tank and the generator hall is an auditorium, for instance). Entrance is free, day and night, but you can arrange for a tour guide, most of whom are guys who have worked there, at the coal face so to speak. Having one of them explain what they did, how they did it and what it was like, operating the drill to drain a load of molten iron from the furnace, then have it flow down a channel in the floor just meters away from you.

That's something no one else can convey.

This topic is closed for new posts.