back to article Globe grabbin,’ sphere slammin’, orb-tossin’, pill poppin’... Speedball

When the Commodore Amiga and Atari ST together ruled the home computing scene, video games were a long way from the million dollar money-spinners they have become. Getting public and media attention for a game wasn’t easy, but one of the more effective techniques employed by game designers was to create titles that took ‘ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Vociferous

Re: No, that's *not* how Amiga gradients were generated

> having the graphics co-processor update one or more of the colour registers (i.e. changing the palette itself) every few lines

Good point. I had forgot about copper gradients.

2. Monty Burns

Re: No, that's *not* how Amiga gradients were generated

@Michael Strorm - - Ahhh yes, good old fashioned Coper bars (Co-processor) bars. Used to love coding those... ahh the memories of a mis-spent youth (that and writing virus's, intercepting the disk I/O and playing with that tiny code in the boot block of a floppy disk)

1. Neil B

Re: Amiga graphics

@Vociferous As I recall a tiny, windowed version of Doom did appear on the Amiga. I'd moved on to PC by then and only remember seeing it on the cover of one of the mags.

1. Vociferous

Re: Amiga graphics

> As I recall a tiny, windowed version of Doom did appear on the Amiga

I don't know if Doom was ever released on the Amiga, but a few 3D shooter clones were -- however, they had to "cheat" pretty heavily to get acceptable framerates (like only rendering the top or bottom half of the environment and then mirroring it). The ones I saw were impressive from a programming point of view but ultimately did little but highlight that 3D gaming was not a job the Amiga was suited for.

1. Outcast

Seeing Speedball 2 on my mates A500 was what made me buy one.

Brilliant game. The humourous audio snippets were the icing on the cake.

My daughters loved Tiny Troops mainly for the....

"Aaaaaaaarmageddon & Run Awaaaaaay" sound snippets !

2. Zuagroasta

"Let the games begin" demon football

Was this the one that had a demon in the intro that said "let the games begin" in a Hell's-gonna-take-you voice? I only played Amiga games at a friend's house once or twice in the early 90s

3. Snarf Junky

Best game I can remember

I know games have moved on and it's difficult to compare but I don't remember a single game that I had any more fun with than Speedball 2. The graphics, sound and gameplay were amazing. I loved playing it in single player where I could win straight through every time and against mates who played as much as I did which meant for some epic battles. Pure class!!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like