back to article Windows 8.1 update 'screenshots' leak: Metro apps popped into classic desktop taskbar

A set of screenshots leaked to the web purports to show how Microsoft is working to better integrate Metro-style apps with the classic desktop in a forthcoming update to Windows 8.1. The screenshots, which were posted online by Russian serial leaker "WZor," were allegedly taken from a prerelease testing build of Windows 8.1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not interested.

"Not interested."

Right back atcha!

1. RobHib

@A.C.-- Re: Not interested.

A.C.?? - Weekly check from Redmond eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @A.C.-- Not interested.

"A.C.?? - Weekly check from Redmond eh?"

Ooh - Linux fanboy plays the shill card! Never seen that before!

1. RobHib

@A.C. -- Re: @A.C.-- Not interested.

Well, you're wrong. Really, truly wrong!

--

WARNING-LONG! Multiple paragraphs of reasoned argument—unsuitable for the 140-chr$-twitterati and those who're bored with anything longer than two phrases.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/11/07/ie11_for_windows_7_final/#c_2019479

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2013/12/02/windows_8_point_x_market_share/#c_2045808

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Rudy

Closing Windows Store apps

The easiest way (in my arthritic experience) to close a Windows Store app is the old-school ALT+F4.

3. Lostintranslation

Microsoft, please drop me a line when the lunatics have been reincarcerated so I can go out and buy a new PC.

4. macaroo

Please bring back the Start Button

1. Michael Habel
      Trollface

This goy hasn't heard of Windows 8.1 has he?

1. D@v3

Not available for Windows 8 Pro.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here before.

So, if you want 'pro' features, like domain support, then you are stuck with plain old Win8.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: 8.1

Or pro features like understanding how to join a machine to a domain? Really I know everyone wants to hate anything from MS, but Win 8.1 joins to a domain in exactly the sane way that all machines since win 2000. Did someone just tell you it couldn't join a domain, or did you think you'd start a rumour?

1. D@v3

No. I didn't say that 8.1pro can't join a domain, that is one of the main reasons (in my experience) to have the 'Pro' version of a windows OS.

What I am saying is that I have Win8 pro devices (on a domain), and I can't for love nor money update to 8.1Pro, hence, if I want my pro features, I'm stuck on Win8.

It appears to exist, I just can't find any way of acquiring it. I keep getting sent to the sodding Windows Store, and there is nothing there. Why they can't just have a download link on their website, I'll never understand, or make it available through windows update, like they did when they still did Service Packs.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I went with the download it from technet option. (I admit, not available to everyone, and not forever) but I upgraded at the same time as a getting a new workstation, so installed from scratch. It does appear to be upgradeable from 8.0 to 8.1, the options are there, that said, I've never upgraded an OS between versions, it always seems like a good opportunity to tear out the crap and start again. (And that goes for ALL OSes, not just Windows.)

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

" I've never upgraded an OS between versions"

It's a service pack. You presumably don't take the view that you never install those but rather wait for the slipstreamed ISO to turn up and re-install from scratch. (Or do you? I suppose the idea has some merit.)

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: 8.1 (as service pack)

To add to my earlier reply, support for 8.0 ceases in January 2016: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle-Windows81-faq

So the commenter who can't find the upgrade for Pro in the Windows Store, you have 2 years for Microsoft to find it for you. (I have to say that I had no trouble myself but I completely believe you because Microsoft's use of the Store for this SP is quite ridiculous. Just as another example, if you are logged in as the Administrator user then you cannot go on the store and therefore cannot upgrade. I had to promote my ordinary luser account to do it.)

2. NogginTheNog

You have to download the 8.1 update through the App Store (spit!), which you can't access using the built in Administrator account. Temporarily create a new login, give it local admin privs, and download and install the update using that. Then bin or disable the login afterwards.

1. Splodger

What a rigmarole!

Utterly mental.

5. dominicr

Modern Mix

If you are prepared to shell out $4.99 you can have this oh-so-exciting Windows 9 feature on your Windows 8 computer now, it's called ModernMix (from Stardock, and no I don't work for them).

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Modern Mix

In the spirit of Apple !! I do hope that Stardock have a patent application already being processed by the USPTO for this functionality...

ModernMix is excellent, it means that I don't have to wade through all the file associations and assign them to desktop applications, I merely install those desktop applications I really want and let Windows default viewers handle the rest. Obviously for many files the default is a Modern app, so all ModernMix does is make these play nicely with the desktop.

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Metro -> Retro?

That screenshot (colours, typography) reminds me eerily of OS/2 Warp's design.

1. Michael Habel

Re: Metro -> Retro?

That screenshot (colours, typography) reminds me eerily of OS/2 Warp's design.

Damn hes right! It does....

2. Andy A

Re: Metro -> Retro?

Those big square things always remind me of CGA graphics.

Yes, I really am that old.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Fihart

Is it just me ?

Every time I see a computer with Windows 8 I want to put my fist through the screen.

Fortunately, don't see that many.

9. jb99

Just get rid

They just need to admit that metro apps and everything about their interface on desktop PC from the apps themselves to the tiled start menu is a complete and utter disaster for both usability and functionality and just scrap the whole thing. Seriously. The whole thing is just an unmitigated disaster.

10. Zot

I only ever see on US TV shows.

The one I saw last night had the user go to the desktop almost immediately. They didn't have a touch screen, so it must have seemed a nightmare with the laptop pad.

I'm hoping it will stay in the fictional world.

11. MerlynUK
    Pint

ModernMix

If this is true then it looks like a blatant integration of Stardock's ModernMix into standard Windows and if so could we expect Start8 functionality too to bring back the start menu!

I use Start8 to bypass the Start screen and restore the start menu, which for $4.99 was more than worth it in my opinion to be able to switch to a better overall OS than Windows 7. I understand people not wanting to pay extra for what should have been a standard option for desktop users, but at that price I see it as no different to buying apps from the AppStore or Google Play to make your phone/tablet more productive, which plenty of people are happy to do. Just consider it as part of the Windows price in the first place.

Putting the ModernUI apps/start screen aside, which is now easy to do thanks to Stardock, I find Windows 8 is faster, more stable and more productive than Windows 7, and having the ability to use ModernUI apps as well as traditional desktop apps is just a bonus in my opinion, if you don't like them don't use them, you haven't lost anything really.

The problem for Microsoft is the out of the box UI experience for desktop users without touch-screens is just not good enough without a small bit of tweaking with 3rd party apps, after which, Windows 8 is a better OS than Windows 7 for the desktop. If they would just admit that, it would make a lot of people very happy and persuade more people to upgrade, but the PR damage has already been done methinks.

Beer, since round here its more expensive than Start8 or ModernMix!

12. Inachu

Since the 8.1 update.

Since the update I see that youtube and flash sites no longer work with Internet Explorer 11 even with compatibility mode checked and or putting the url into the compatibility tab.

Microsoft screwed it up big time. Bunch of idiots is all they are.

13. jason 7

Simply...

...uninstall all the core MS Modern apps from the Start Screen (you weren't using them anyway) and then its pure Desktop mode/Windows 7 stylee till you shut down.

Takes about a minute to do.

Just mentioning as it might make someones life a little easier.

14. NogginTheNog

Say what you like about Apple (and I often do!)

But although iOS is at heart based on OS-X, they never for a minute ever tried to use the same GUI across their desktop and mobile devices. That'd like Saab building a jet fighter with a steering wheel!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Steven Raith

Re: Say what you like about Apple (and I often do!)

I tend to agree.

I think that Canonical have hit the bullseye in terms of their concept though - the same operating system running across phones, desktops and tablets - and it's the UI that changes depending on the device status/type.

That way if you have an app targeted for it, it has destktop and mobile builds, with different UIs being used, but the same package installs it, and the same code runs it. It just uses a different UI depending on what the system says it running on - mobile display or 24" desktop monitor.

MS have been trying to climb up the downflowing escalator by having the 'same' UI across what is effectively three entirely incompatible code bases - WP8, WIn RT and Win8; that is, doing it entirely the wrong way around. Or is that just me who thinks that?

I realise a lot of people have their issues with Canonical (in the linux world too, natch) but it really is the best way to go if you can pull it off. The hardware, at least, is getting to the stage where it's feasible (fast mobile storage, 64bit multicore mobile CPUs - IE fast enough to run a desktop OS at a reasonable clip) so it's just a case of making it work.

I suspect it (IE dockable desktop computing) will be the way of the future - eventually....

2. Zot

Re: Say what you like about Apple (and I often do!)

Apple have the iOS experience with the 'Launchpad' app in OS-X, with big friendly graphics that can be arranged how you want them. It's basically a fat scratchpad of your favourite applications. BUT it's just a separate thing, NOT forced down your throat from boot-up!

15. timhowarduk
    FAIL

On a related topic - why do we have to put up with the TIKFAM interface on a SERVER for heavens sake? Win 2012 server is just tedious to log off / shut down / anything! How many servers have touch screens and Metro apps running on them. Bit of a fail there

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm

"On a related topic - why do we have to put up with the TIKFAM interface on a SERVER for heavens sake?"

From what I read, it's because you chose the GUI install rather than Core. Not sure someone scared of the CLI (or not bothering to check the installation options,) should be playing with servers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm

"Not sure someone scared of the CLI (or not bothering to check the installation options,) should be playing with servers."

You really are a tedious troll adding your festering ire-bait to every legitimate statement made on here.

If you are old enough, I bet you were there in 1988 saying:

"Not sure someone scared of the GUI(or not bothering to check the installation options,) should be playing with servers."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You really are a tedious troll adding your festering ire-bait to every legitimate statement made on here."

Sadly, there are few legitimate comments on any Win 8 discussion around here. Untrue statements such as, "... why do we have to put up with the TIFKAM interface ..." when you don't are untrue and therefore not legitimate. Pointing out FUD is hardly trolling. Another example is Inachu's statement that YouTube and Flash sites don't work with IE11 on 8.1 - just booted into Win 8 to test both and they do work. And really - "festering ire-bait"? If you genuinely classify what I said that way, I can only presume my post is the only one you've ever read here. You might want to break out the thesaurus to come up with more dramatic terms if you stay on the forums :)

'If you are old enough, I bet you were there in 1988 saying:

"Not sure someone scared of the GUI(or not bothering to check the installation options,) should be playing with servers." '

I'd have no reason to say the first part since I don't feel that way. As for the second part - I'll grant you the courtesy of not assuming you're foolish enough to think checking options is wrong, but in this case simply bouncing someone's statements back at them with a word changed does make that a possible interpretation. It's a lazy technique, much like the 1988 thing. If you can't come up with something good, fall back on the, "I'm older than you so my opinion is more valid," thing, huh? You seem to be channelling "jake" ...

1. Steven Raith

The irony of it is that Metro + search doens't get in teh way on Server 2012. Hitting the windows key and typing 'users' is quicker than going through the menus on Server 2008. I also dont recall seeing (or at least using) any fullscreen Metro apps on Server 2012.

I agree that CLI knowledge is worthwhile if running a server (it means you can dump the GUI, and reduce potential attack/crash vectors, obviously) but I've not really had a problem with 2012 in that respect.

Windows 8 annoys the fuck out of me though. Which is a shame as it's pretty nice under the skin.

No shilling here - I work on Linux, OS X, and Windows gear in different manners all the time, and lets face it, all of them make you want to put your fist through a pane of glass at some point...

16. Sarah Davis

1 step forward 2 steps back,..

is the usual MS mantra

could we have the option to turn off AND REMOVE Charms and Apps completely - you could call it DISABLE PHONE MODE so folks with workstations can just get on with their work rather than spend months trying to find ways ways to make 8.1 functional

I love phone mode, but only on my phone

:)

PS - can you bring back W7's transparency, that's the best looking OS you've made

17. PaulR79

Fantastic!

I can't wait to run all my Windows Store apps like.......

18. Levente Szileszky

You can tell the bald fatty is still there: STILL NO START MENU...

...ergo STILL NO WINDOWS 8 ON MY NETWORK.

Just how long MSFT is willing to tolerate this mumbling, chair-throwing, clueless idiot beancounter and his ilks?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like