back to article Reading this headline? You and 9.47 million others

It's January again: and that means it's time for our annual letter from the Audit Bureau of Circulation, telling us Vultures how we did in our regular November audit of site traffic last year. Without further ado, the scores on the doors: 9,470,181 unique users paid a visit that month, up from 7,326,907 in 2012. That's a climb …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Maybe a few more salacious pictures...

You mean this wasn't enough?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/

(Insatiable, some people!)

1. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

unique users

Should of course read 9,470,181 unique browsers (like in the stat). We all know some use several (unique) browsers, finding the number of unique users is simply not doable. The point, however, is "That's a climb of just over 29 per cent and now the third record-high figure in a row.".

Congratulations for that and for El Reg for what you are.

It would be fun to see stats for browsers and operating systems too but I suppose ABC does not do that.

Looking at the Geo IP analysis some 25% of the readers probably have some other native tongue but English.

So while ElReg!comments!Pierre is spot on, I sometimes find that "colour/color" agony rather unnecessary.

The English language is in fact quite a "garbage collector", "In addition to its Anglo-Saxon and Norman French roots, a significant number of English words are constructed on the basis of roots from Latin.

I feel great sympathy with young kids who have to learn a language void of any logic between spelling and pronouncing. But I do like it.

1. Spoonsinger

Re: unique users

Re :- "I feel great sympathy with young kids who have to learn a language void of any logic between spelling and pronouncing. But I do like it."

"Young kids" who learn it's foibles don't seem to have a problem, even if the context might not be tight. But that adds to the fun and the misinterpretations which gives a comedic value to a conversation and a flexibility which other languages just don't have in the grand scale.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
        Headmaster

Muphry strikes

> "Young kids" who learn it's foibles don't seem to have a problem

That should, of course, read '"Young kids" who learn its foibles don't seem to have a problem', since one of its foibles is the apostrophe in it's. It's not a genitive, it's an elision for "it is". It has a genitive case: it's its.

:)

1. Spoonsinger

Re: Muphry strikes

"read '"Young kids" who learn its foibles" - wasn't me.

2. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

Pleas, don't take me too seriously. Still I wonder if the sentence "how do you spell" appears as often in any other language. Do you find another potatoe Bush anywhere else. Looking for that sentence (on Google) give you 106 000 000 hits. Among other "bigger" languages you get for "wie schreibt man" 6 380 000 for "comment voulez-vous épeler" 1 860 and for "¿cómo se escribe" 16 800 000. Now, as there must be more English on the internet, it proves nothing and makes no difference "in the grand scale". But if you knew other languages well you would not write "But that adds to the fun and the misinterpretations which gives a comedic value to a conversation and a flexibility which other languages just don't have in the grand scale".

Regards Lars

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Still I wonder if the sentence "how do you spell" appears as often in any other language

English orthography is troublesome, but I've heard plenty of people complain other languages are worse in one way or another. Consider Japanese: with a great many homonyms, and many kanji sharing pronunciations, it's common for native speakers to ask one another how their names are written, for example.

But if you knew other languages well you would not write "But that adds to the fun and the misinterpretations which gives a comedic value to a conversation and a flexibility which other languages just don't have in the grand scale".

That doesn't follow. Someone can be well-aware of English's difficulties and still enjoy the language, and English orthography and pronunciation do make it more flexible in a number of respects, such as constructing partial/slant rhymes and other sorts of wordplay.

1. Lars Silver badge
            Happy

I was referring to "other" in "a flexibility which other languages just don't have in the grand scale" which is a silly thing to say unless you know many other languages well, and if you did you would hardly say it.

2. Vociferous

Do vultures actually caw?

Turkey vulture have a call which sounds like fabric being ripped, California condor sounds like an elderly chain smoker clearing his throat, and Black vulture makes a sound which can best be described as "cat sneezing".

3. Mark 85
    Thumb Up

Well Done, El Reg

So what if the mainstream ignores us. Makes El Reg a very well read underground pub. Congrats and pint to the staff and readership. For the mainstream media... they get squat.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Well Done, El Reg .. and all is bound to get better as intelligence visits and has a vested interest

So what if the mainstream ignores us. Makes El Reg a very well read underground pub. Congrats and pint to the staff and readership. For the mainstream media... they get squat. …. Mark 85 Posted Wednesday 22nd January 2014 18:52 GMT

Please be assured and/or terrified to know, Mark 85, that the mainstream in stealthy intelligence servering fields are not ignoring El Reg.

And the evidence be the quiet visits of a certain type of concerned and discombobulated agency to systems admins sharing wares and beta testing programs and protocols suspected of really revolutionary capacity and facility with the global IT diaspora choosing to wander around and wonder at the news and views on El Reg displays.

And one does get a better class of mole/troll/commentard on El Reg by virtue of all of that.

Nothing is ever as it seems whenever reality is easily virtualised and extraordinarily rendered in MkUltraHiDefinition to that and/or those with a ….. well, Real Need to Virtually Know is all that one probably needs to know. And in IT worlds is that the default case always even more so.

4. Sanctimonious Prick

(titled)

I was an irregular reader for some time, but as my local (au) hangouts have either disappeared (ABC), or just got plain boring (WP), I've become a 20 times a day visitor, on my i-things, my wintel things, from work, from home, from g/f's place, from school.

I like the majority of articles here. Dead-Set hate the headline titles on the home page. Love the writing style of your contributors. And then there's the commentards - fuck, man, that's pretty much the best part :D

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

I take issue with ElReg Numbers!

"el Reg has around a third as much clout as The Sun,"

You simply cannot equate the number of ElReg readers to the number of Sun website readers when referring to "clout" or influence. Quality matters so maybe you ought to be comparing the sum of reader IQs to get a better comparison of "clout".

Those numbers would scare the beejeezus out one or both groups of readers!

6. Parash2

Real Location

My profile states that I am in Australia, however my VPN puts me in London. For the purpose of the stats where does the Reg list me?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All those readers

Yet still not one Apple user that gets a joke.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
      Windows

Re: All those readers

Any user who self-identifies by their choice of OS is unlikely to get a joke.

8. Deadly Headshot

Other Reg Sites

Do the stats include RegHardware and ChannelReg - both separate sites?

9. JLV
    Pint

Eureka!

Those viewer counts explain why you folks are getting those LightInTheBox lingerie ads we've been seeing those last couple of weeks.

Well done, sirs, well done!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.