back to article Pervy TOILET CAMERA disguised as 'flash drive' sparks BOMB SCARE on Boeing 767

Someone taped a camera disguised as a USB thumb-drive to the wall of the toilet in a Boeing 767 aircraft on a flight to New York from San Francisco and caused an emergency landing in Kansas City when it was discovered. According to KCTV, American Airlines cabin staff discovered or were alerted to the toilet's unwanted wall- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Haven't you seen Fringe ?

The old boy in the BBC documentary turns out to be a gentleman called Dr Sidney Alford. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Alford

Turns out he has a website for anyone needing to make a hole in something in a hurry. Website is probably a good way to bring yourself to some agency's attention:

http://www.explosives.net/Home.aspx

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The old boy in the BBC documentary turns out to be a gentleman called Dr Sidney Alford."

Yes, that's him. I just saw him on an episode of Kevin McClouds Man Made Home. They cut a Russian sea mine in half at a jaunty angle by wrapping a length of explosive "tape" around it (to make a BBQ). The mine was about 1" thick steel and and it was a lovely clean cut.

I'd estimate the "tape" was maybe 1/2" thick and an inch wide from what I could see of it. A " section of that would be about the size of some of the larger pendrives. You still need a detonator and something to trigger it though.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Two foot thick?

I am unconvinced. Doesn't matter how fast the copper slug is travelling, enough energy has to be supplied to break the bonds between the iron atoms, which are metallic. I simply don't think there is that much energy in a "small" amount of plastic explosive. Bazooka rounds couldn't penetrate a Tiger, and the armour on that was nothing like 2ft thick.

3. Marshalltown

That, my lad, was a shaped charge, which was designed to direct the explosive energy at a specific target. A USB stick is a different form factor, and unless the "stick" was specially engineered, would pretty much result in an explosion into the compartment rather than directed into the bulk head.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Haven't you seen Fringe ?

Should I assume that is a TV show, or a film?

> Anything is possible !

Yes, in Hollywood.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: More training needed?

This is exactly the state that the Governments want the people to be in - a constant state of fear....

The bible bashers did it for long enough and it seemed to work for them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More training needed?

> People were freaking out about dust on the shelves.

That would be my ex.

1. TRT Silver badge

The tape worked loose...

the USB drive fell into the toilet bowl. It was a flash in the pan.

1. Trooper_ID

Re: The tape worked loose...

best pun so far.

2. Montreal Sean

Re: The tape worked loose...

It was feeling a little bloated and was getting rid of the crapware.

2. disgruntled yank

Let the punishment fit the crime

Make the perp serve out his term in an airline terminal, living on airline food and sleeping on hard plastic seats under fluorescent lights.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Let the punishment fit the crime

" Make the perp serve out his term in an airline terminal, living on airline food and sleeping on hard plastic seats under fluorescent lights."

You'd have to expose government departments abuse of the Nations privacy to get that punishment.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems like an overreaction for something so small

I doubt a USB drive-sized bomb could bring down an airliner, perhaps even if it was directly against the fuselage.

Well, in this day and age of freaking out about everything....

(I wonder if the TSA had anything to say going through security about the mirrors on the perv's shoes?)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So if it fell into the pan, did it have a floating point processor ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well it's pretty obvious that as they searched the rest of the plane for explosive devices they thought the flash drive was potentially a trigger rather than the bomb itelf, seems like a reasonable assumption to me

1. magnetik
      WTF?

Reasonable assumption ? Sure, terrorists always put the triggers in places visible to all and sundry instead of, say, under their seats or in the overhead luggage compartment.

6. Arachnoid

So is this an excuse

For certain authorities to install recording camera systems on all flights much like those on UK buses

1. magnetik

Re: So is this an excuse

And in the toilet too, just to be safe.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And it will have a wide open remote access wifi port

#include some joke about backdoor (it's too early and I haven't had enough coffee)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And in the toilet too, just to be safe."

Oh, I assumed they already did this.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Arachnoid

And just to add

If a terrorist group wanted to be more effective and cause mass panic then a biological or radioactive device would be the tool of trade for such a small object.The package being mostly non metallic and looking unobtrusively much like thousands of other such devices.

9. theloon

Finger print it and arrest the moron

This person needs a reminder on the subject of decency...

3-6 months being "explored" in the showers should make them rethink their approach to life.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Finger print it and arrest the moron

"3-6 months being "explored" in the showers"

I keep seeing that sort of comment about US prison "life" in the comment sections of El Reg and elsewhere. Are all US prisons really full of gay rapists? Or is this just some incredibly stupid meme that many USAians follow?

1. DiViDeD

"Are all US prisons really full of gay rapists? Or is this just some incredibly stupid meme..."

I think it's just wishful thinking on the part of the commentards. Or something they obsess about. I've worked with many merkins, and phrases like 'You can suck my dick' or 'we just have to bend over and take it' seem to be very popular, particularly with the more macho members (pun unintended)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Right, as opposed to citizens from the land of "rum, sodomy, and the lash", who totally have no hangups about homosexuality at all.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> particularly with the more macho members (pun unintended)

You mean the ones that watch scantily-clad, oil-covered, steroid-fuelled men choreographing "fight" scenes in which they touch and hug each other on prime-time TV? Yes, I've always wondered what would happen to all those Mucho Macho men if they stopped selling closets in the US. :)

NB: No offence to the openly gay who follow those shows (well, the acting is a bit rubbish, and steroid bags are really not my type, but each to their own).

10. MnM
    FAIL

"Either way the placing of the flashcam was perverse..."

No it wasn't. I'd do grammar nazi but it doesn't go far enough.

Edit: Oh god even Google's wrong:

perverse, pəˈvəːs/ 3. sexually perverted.

1. Swarthy

Re: "Either way the placing of the flashcam was perverse..."

Agreed. Taping the thing up where the lens was to the wall would have been perverse. Taping it up to catch people spending a penny is perverted.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash Drive Terrorism

All we need now is a terrorist group armed with such devices.

In a coordinated attack they could leave flash drives in hundreds of places throughout the US transport system and bring the whole country to a standstill.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Flash Drive Terrorism

I believe you've just invented 4chan.

1. Anonymous C0ward

Re: Flash Drive Terrorism

I don't think so, he'd need more gore and hentai for that.

12. TRT Silver badge

I'm reminded of that episode of Thunderbirds...

where someone taped a bomb to the undercarriage. What was the plane called? Oh yes. Fireflash.

13. Arachnoid

bring the whole country to a standstil

Not if they were USB3 devices

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been the victim of the aftermath of several explosive attacks on airplane restrooms, but they were more along the lines of biological warfare than anything else.

Still should have been more than enough to arrest the perps, though. Sheesh, sweaty 300lb dude who just squeezed out of the folding doors; what are they feeding you?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

look this was clearly a ...

Illicit data transfer that the security services caught on to, the bomb issue being an excuse to attempt to identify the pickup courier. I guess Julian is going to have less to bargain with afterall

16. harmjschoonhoven
    Holmes

Obvious

'they were bussed to the airport's terminal C where they were fed'

The obvious motive was to avoid the stuff that is served on board.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obvious

'they were bussed to the airport's terminal C where they were fed'

What were they fed to? I know one or two of them might be suspect, but having them all eaten seems a bit harsh.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My first guess would be that the camera was broken -- and taped to the wall by a bored 14 yr-old stuck on a plane with nothing else to think about.

18. El Gokri'x

"canine assistant (dog)"

Doge.

1. Anonymous C0ward

Re: "canine assistant (dog)"

Such terror, many inconvenient.

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. NomNomNom

More likely this is an NSA memory stick disguised as a perv camera/bomb combo to discredit the information on it. Hopefully Snowdon can tell us what was on the memory stick but I strongly suspect it'll contain phone transcripts for every call made in the US since 1984.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That'd be a Flush drive then?

22. Arachnoid

Images

Im sure if it belonged to a teenager they would find a few selfies on it

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was on this flight and was not kept warm - my hand currently has frosbite since we had to deplane in the freezing weather down an ice covered flight of stairs. We had to hold onto the railing not to fall down the steps, then were put on busses that were cold and moved into a cold terminal...I wish they would have provided blankets at the very least.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The KC "International" airport is the worst place to be stuck for any length of time. Had they flown a few more minutes you could have made it to St. Louis, which is the second worst airport to be stuck in the US.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.