back to article Google and Apple in DRAG RACE: It's fanboi Mercs VS fandroid Audis

Apple and Google are preparing to compete on yet another front. They reportedly plan to race each other to design the world's most powerful smart car dashboard. At the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show next week, Google isexpected to announce a new tie-up with Audi, which will see Mountain View help to design an in car computer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. M Gale

look at their interface design for anything - it's an unholy mess of random icons and text.

A logo, a text box, a "search" button and an "I'm feeling lucky" button. I don't know how it could get much more simple?

Unless you mean the phone OS, that has.. you know.. the same grid-of-icons display that mobile phones have had since the first mobile phone with a more capable display than "two lines of text and some indicators"? The one with the phone dialler right there on the front page?

I can see how you might get confused. If you're the sort of person who gets confused when the computer asks you to hit the "any" key.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

I never have found the 'Any Key'... which one is it again?

2. messele

Be interesting to see how much further Audi can plummet until they officially reach 'junk status'.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/full-results/1206903

Right around Citroen. Nice work boys!

1. Observer1959

That's all we need fanboys jailbreaking self driving cars to ram the competition.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Infiniti Q50

Already has Android built in. It will also pair with iPhone and Android phones to run apps from them as well.

3. psychonaut

for fucks sake

Please in the name of fuck just use blue tooth. How fucking difficult is it? Just farm all the audio from the phone via blue tooth to the fucking stereo in the car. Or just use a cable. Not a fucking iPhone cable. Just a normal 3.5mm jack so that anything can connect to it. Why can I not connect my note 2 to my BMW via blue tooth? They both have blue tooth. It doesn't work. It's not supported. And to add insult to injury the bloke who owned it before had it fitted with an iPhone dock. Tosser.

1. messele

Re: for fucks sake

Yeah but it is a BMW to be fair, had to be owned by a wanker, right?

4. John 104

"The car is becoming the ultimate mobile device,"

Um. I thought it already WAS the ultimate mobile device. Seriously, who pays these people to say such idiotic things?

5. All names Taken
    Alien

You haf to take, how you say, the long view on this one to see the big picture.

Humans will not need to drive cars and make messes of things - you will have softwares to do this for you.

The upside is you will at the same time dispense with any need for insurance companies - seemplz yes?

6. roger stillick
    Joke

Glass Dashboards a/la Aircraft glass dashboards replacing standard instruments...

The USDOT has given the auto industry 2014 to come up with a dashboard layout that doesn't distract the driver similar to cellphone use and texting while driving... 2013 new cars came with center console touch screens that required driver attention while the car is being driven...using a cell phone while driving is illegal in the USA...

IMHO=the 2010 Prius 2 is an example of doing a glass dashboard right, and the center console has aircraft lighted switches for functions... the next year you got a touch screen to shift gears n park= really stupidly unsafe to use while driving...

I really wish these folks well as the touch screen is not wanted by actual drivers and the USDOT...RS.

7. cs94njw

I like Honda cars. I'd happily buy another one.

But as an Android fan, I'm not sure I'm happy buying a car that's geared specifically towards an iProducts.

My car radio is iPhone enabled (not Android), and it already annoys me I'm missing out on clever functionality because of a specific integration :(

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like