back to article Los Angeles' weather is just like Mordor, says Brit climate prof

The weather in Middle-earth overlord Sauron's home county of Mordor is directly comparable to the balmy climate of the US city of Los Angeles, according to a British scientist. Dr Dan Lunt, an academic at Bristol University, has used his Oxbridge degree and extensive weather modelling skills to produce a simulation of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Don't think we need a spare planet Earth (Re: @ NomNomNom @ AC)

If the hypothesis is that increase in atmospheric CO2 causes increase in temperature (the Anthropogenic Global Warming Hypothesis) and temperature fails to increase (over 17 years) despite a continuing increase in CO2, then the hypothesis is falsified*.

No spare Earth needed.

*unless of course our income depends on the climate scare, in which case we might start changing the argument and saying that the heat is "hiding in the deep ocean" or some such thing (sigh).

1. M. Poolman

Re: Don't think we need a spare planet Earth (@ NomNomNom @ AC)

"If the hypothesis is that increase in atmospheric CO2 causes increase in temperature (the Anthropogenic Global Warming Hypothesis) and temperature fails to increase (over 17 years) despite a continuing increase in CO2, then the hypothesis is falsified*."

No, because you won't know what would have happened had CO2 remained constant. This is one reason why there's so much interest in modelling.

The fact that it's not testable is absolutely not to refute or support the notion. Personally I think that not turning as much fossil carbon into CO2 as quickly as possible is a rather sensible idea.

1. Graham Marsden
    Mushroom

Mordor [...] was comparable to Los Angeles

Does that include the Smog?

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Does that include the Smog?

No but maybe a Smaug.

2. Turtle

The FULL statement, revealed!

"Lunt said: 'By comparing our results to evidence of past climate change, for example from tree rings, ice cores, and ancient fossils of plants and animals, we can validate the climate models, and gain confidence in the accuracy of their predictions of future climate. And we certainly are going to validate those models because that's the reason we're even doing this work at all: to validate those models whether they're right or wrong because it really is time that you gave complete political control over the economic life of the entire world to a group of ideologues who want to extirpate large swathes of the world's non-white population, and simultaneously insure that the vastly preponderant majority of any population that we permit to survive, will live in mud huts or caves. Excepting only, well, you know. So that you can look forward to a more moral and ethical world, where there will be two and only two kinds of people: poor white trash living in the poverty they deserve, and high-ranking greens, living in the luxury that their moral purity has earned them for saving the world. Long live Paul Ehrlich!'”

I'm not exactly sure why parts of this quote were omitted in the artlicle.

3. danny_0x98

Greetings from Los Angeles! Clear and cold (for us) this morning.

If so, the Mordor Tourist Bureau should really sue all those filmmakers for making the skies ever dire. That and there being only two ways in—three counting giant eagles or Nazgûl—certainly discouraged the casual holiday visit.

Or, the good researcher has overlooked the micro-climate implications of a volcano in the middle of the region as well as a tower housing the ultimate ever-watching evil being. We do have the Wells Fargo Tower and Wells Fargo is a bank. Okay, scratch the last point.

And... we are adjacent to the ocean. Perhaps he meant inland a bit, as in Van Nuys or Acton (adjacent to Vasquez Rocks where they would film exteriors of exotic planets).

1. Tank boy

Re: Greetings from Los Angeles! Clear and cold (for us) this morning.

I always thought that the area in and around FT Irwin in the Mojave desert was very Mordor-ish.

4. Mark 85
    Coat

Mordor = LA???

So Mordor has babes and surfing? Ok.. LA has smog, gang wars, etc. Maybe there's a benefit to living in Mordor afterall that Tolkien never got around to. Or maybe it was edited out.

From my point of view, I always thought that Mordor was on the east coast of the USA... i.e: Eye of Sauron = Fort Meade.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Mordor = LA???

And here I thought the true Modor was in Russia.

The Last Ring-bearer by Kirill Eskov. The Lord of The Rings from the Orc perspective. Free E-book English translation available here: http://ymarkov.livejournal.com/280578.html#

Quite a good read.

5. Euripides Pants
    Facepalm

Dr Dan Lunt

When did Veggie Tales characters start doing Science?!

http://veggietales.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Lunt

6. Bitbeisser

Balmy weather in Los Angeles?

I think they need to update their temperature database, I am currently freezing my buns off here... :-(

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Middle-earth has climate denialists too?

Those fools are everywhere!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.