back to article OMG, Andrex killed the puppey! Not quilty, exclaim bog roll boys

The British bog roll brand Andrex has been forced to deny rumours that it is planning to kill off the iconic Labrador puppy mascot. Toilet paper lovers on its mailing list reacted furiously after receiving an email which appeared to suggest the puppy was going to be flushed from promotional material. They took to Andrex's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. DiViDeD

Re: NOT NEWS

"I expect better from El Reg."

You're new around here, aren't you?

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only person who still buys toilet paper?

Just pick up a roll when you need it, from work or school or wherever you spend a large portion of your time.

1. SuperTim

Re: Am I the only person who still buys toilet paper?

No can do here in my building. It's all in those big plastic anti-pilfer dispensing systems. Also, it is cheap and non-absorbent. I do try to ablute in work, as I am being paid for it, but security would get suspicious if I tried going home with a massive roll of tracing paper.

I did live in a shared house with a bloke who made a point of never buying bog-roll. Not sure what was so embarrassing to him about it but I ended up having to keep my own stash so he wouldn't nick it. He was a short-arms, Long pockets type who was first out the taxi, last to the bar...

1. lawndart

Re: Am I the only person who still buys toilet paper?

Sounds like you are provided with John Wayne toilet paper at work.

It's rough, it's tough, and it don't take shit off nobody.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upsetting Andrex users is not such a bad thing, for Andrex

Surely it makes sense to upset Andrex users, how about a limited edition 'ruby red' Run Over Puppy version of Andrex, with the disclaimer that no dogs were harmed in the making of this packaging. I told my daughter they were getting rid of the Andrex dog and she burst into tears at the thought, and what did I give her? Andrex.

Can you run over a dog in Grand Theft Auto?, as there is the perfect marketing opportunity for Andrex, dog crossed road, with reel of bog roll in tow.

3. TitterYeNot
    Paris Hilton

Tangoed

"Is your Shea butter Toilet paper safe to use and passed the necessary health and safety checks?" another asked. "I've not used it before but the thought of wiping up with paper covered in butter is a bit off-putting, yet intriguing."

I'm betting they haven't seen 'Last Tango in Paris"...

4. Gordon Pryra

bye bye Puppy

Add speak "The puppy is here to stay."

Reality "The Puppy is gone"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bye bye Puppy

It's the old 'panta rhei' paradox again -- you can never cross the same river twice, as it has flown away in the meantime. Basically, these consumers must get to understand puppies don't remain puppies. Either Andrex has been doing something very unnatural to the display puppy for years and now time has caught up with it and it looks like an unholy cross between a nazgul, alien and vampire.

Or Andrex has always been using the one puppy after another, and turning their predecessors into puppy-soft rolls. So they can only display excess puppies, and with growing demand in China there's just not enough lab puppies around for display purposes; any they can get their hands on go immediately to production.

I hear it's where Cruella DeVille works nowadays.

5. Kevin Johnston

Not as worrying as...

when I was doing an installation job at a hospital. All their toilet paper was 'Professional Toilet Paper'. None of your amateur arse-wiping there then...

To say nothing of the recycled toilet paper you can buy....no no no no no....brainfloss please

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Michael Dunn

Re: Not as worrying as... @ Kevin Johnston

I recall that when I was in the army, each sheet had "WD Property" printed next to the perforations. That was fairly nclose to the Izal standard, as well.

There was also a requirement that one had to have two sheets in one's fully packed 'small pack' at all times.

6. S4qFBxkFFg

"a lighting rod for people who are overly preoccupied with their posterior"

This brings to mind someone possessing buttocks so gargantuan that in order to observe the relevant area, they do not just require your normal everyday bathroom lights or torch - no: they require a lighting rod, presumably in conjunction with one of those mirrors on a stick you can check the underside of a chassis for suspicious, potentially explosive items (and also can be used to look for bombs under cars).

7. Greg D

Clear proof....

That most people on the Internet are insane, and will argue about anything as if they are experts.

Why would you care what a company uses to market its goods?

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Clear proof....

These are people who have enough time on their hands that they sign up for a newsletter about bog roll. They are that desperate for something to express an opinion about.

These people also have the vote.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Clear proof....

"Why would you care what a company uses to market its goods?"

That would be the same people who actually think a reasonable question on a consumer survey form is:

How much do you love brand X

(answer 1-5 where 1 is "Lots" and 5 is "Please have babies with me"

8. Amorous Cowherder
    Happy

A claim to fame!

There was one Andrex ad where they had lots of puppies running around. My Mum was a Labrador fanatic and bought one of the puppies that was in that ad, cost a bomb. Had some stupid name like Lucinda-Tresesse Malsmith some such nonsense, my Mum renamed her Chloe! My Mum died around 2005 but Chloe lived to about 14, she developed severe arthritis and died last year.

9. johnwerneken

That's ONE CUTE PUPPY

Did not know what an Andrex or a bog roll was. Now I do, ty.

10. CH in CT20

Izal isn't the worst...

http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/kraj/1,34309,2900099.html

I had the misfortune to use some of this stuff many years ago. It's light grey and astonishingly abrasive - sandpaper doesn't have anything on it. I keep a roll in the bathroom cabinet in case of unwelcome guests...

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Izal isn't the worst...

I've used it - it is like that cheap paper kids used to have for drawing on (fibres visible to the eye) with a dimpled surface. I believe it was a by-product of experimental rapid runway-laying techniques. It requires much fortitude to build up the courage to use it, and few can wipe without whining a little and shedding a tear or two.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I personally use the Daily Mail.

Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbant.

It's the only thing it's really good for.

1. Gordon 10
      WTF?

Downvoter hang your head in shame.

12. earl grey
    Joke

And yet I'm surprised

No one has mentioned the trekkie angle...

Yes, Klinons.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: And yet I'm surprised

That would have been the dogs danglies of a line if you'd managed to spell Klingons correctly

13. Gav

You have mail

A mailing list? For a toilet paper? What do they say on it?

It's comforting, I think, that the internet can still leave me speechless.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: You have mail

You have to print it out before you can use it ;)

14. Dan Paul

Federal Toilet Paper Regulations

FWIW, my mom used to work for the US Army Corp of Engineers as ships quatermaster and later as a buyer onshore.

She once brought home a 200 page specification from the US Government for toilet paper that got into great detail on the number and size of wood splinters, bug parts and rat hairs that could be "allowed" in Federally Approved Toilet Paper. This is the absolute truth. It also got into detail on the amount of "grit" that the paper could contain. Now that is truly disturbing!

Needless to say, when she worked on board ship, she was directed by the crew to buy commercial toilet paper not the US Government Issue Tissue.

BTW Earl Grey, that's "Klingon's" although I assume that "Izla" paper is suitable for them. (Sure that's noy "Rizla" )

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Federal Toilet Paper Regulations

'Issue Tissue' - awesome.

God only knows what damage bureaucrats who set minimum splinter levels in toilet paper could do if they were let loose on important stuff.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like woodchip wallpaper to me...

3. Cpt Blue Bear

There is a reason* for those ridiculous specification documents. Its a bureaucracy's attempt to stop the contractor, having agreed to supply the best available, shipping whatever rubbish he has lying around or can source the cheapest. As with most bureaucratic solutions, it doesn't work well because it attempts to address the result rather than the cause of the problem (that the suppliers are fundamentally crooked). In a bureaucracy decisions and thus blame are collectivised to protect the otherwise unemployable. They cannot simply inspect what is offered and refuse it as not up to standard because someone would have to take responsibility.

The fact that they still get a rubbish product at an inflated price shows how well it works.

In this particular case, the specification document, assuming it is on letter sized paper, if torn into squares, and hung on a name could provide around 2 and a half man years worth of what it describes.

* Please note that I didn't say it was good reason.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're holding it wrong

... If your finger goes through.

Or, if you spend more time cleaning your fingernails than your arse, you've been too cheap with your choice of bog roll.

1. Gordon 10

Re: You're holding it wrong

Im reminded of the British army approved method of using your 3 allotted squares whilst on maneouvers.

Fold 1 square into quarters, tear off inner point, open square, place finger through resulting hole, wipe, use torn corner to clean finger nail......

16. Mark 85

Much ado about s**t. I'm wondering how loud the outcry and sobbing will be when Grumpy Cat dies. Ah.. life on the internet and FB. And my friends wonder why I don't have an account.

17. Euripides Pants

I'm shocked

I thought this sort of lunacy could exist _only_ in the US.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Toilet Paper? Disgusting!

And one of the things I hate about visiting countries where it is the usual way of cleaning the backside.

My Indian wife can work wonders with a small jug, even in a Western toilet, as long as there is a tap, but I am completely dependent on those wonderful sprays. Cleaner, fresher, and no having to buy loo roll, puppy or not, pound cheaper or not.

Chuck the roll! The spray's the way!

1. MJI Silver badge

How do you wipe away the mess?

I can't see how you can moanouver to wash your bum.

Hand stand?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How do you wipe away the mess?

Imagine a miniature showerhead on a flexible tube. It's hung on the wall by the toilet.

You can come at the mess from front or back, as you please.

Of course, you do get left a bit wet, which is a lot less noticeable in this climate, but still... Toilet paper? Yuck!

1. Lexxy

Re: How do you wipe away the mess?

I agree Thad, where I'm from, we use the three seashells.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Puppy wipe

I did try to wipe with a puppy, but that cute little bundle of fur is now a snarling rottweiler, and it's going nowhere near my posterior

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Puppy wipe

I did try to wipe with a puppy, but that cute little bundle of fur is now a snarling rottweiler

After one wipe? What on earth have you been eating?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pfffft. They don't even know how to use the seashells. Heathens.

21. Alan Brown Silver badge

Truth in advertising

The picture of the doggy is because Andrex is made from ground up puppies. (And you really don't want to know what's in jars of baby food)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Truth in advertising

you really don't want to know what's in jars of baby food

My father used to work for a company that sold baby food. They tried to expand their export market, but couldn't understand why baby food just didn't sell in african countries, where other preserved products sold well.

Their researchers eventually realised that the mothers in those countries were usually illiterate, and bought based on the pictures on the labels. Tins with pictures of pineapples contained pineapple, so jars with pictures of babies ... weren't going to sell well.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like