back to article Mandela memorial. Yup, let's SNAP A SELFIE, say grinning Obama, Cameron

The word "selfie" officially entered the English language this year, but in etiquette terms taking a photo of yourself is still a social minefield. Many may think doing so at a memorial service is a faux pas, but not for President Obama it seems. Nor UK Prime Minister David Cameron and Denmark's premier Helle Thorning-Schmidt …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Hey Bonio!

Imelda Marcos wants her sunglasses back!

2. jeremy996

Context (and history) is everything

@ obnoxious Git et al

It will take 50-100 years for the fog of media crap to dissipate around Mandela; he wasn't a saint, but he was hardly the most effective communist/terrorist either. As a communist, he spent their money and used their structure, but he tried to embrace the free market on getting to power, (or at least keep his deputies on the straight and narrow). As a terrorist, there was a serious attempt to avoid civillian casualities and surprisingly little humanitarian impact given the resources they were supposed to be able to draw on. (The Spectator, of all things, has an interesting article on this subject).

South Africa could have been a complete blood bath, with a wholly military violent transfer of power. From my viewpoint, he appears to have been instrumental in achieving a peaceful transition to the current bunch of self-centred, self-serving politicians. Whether he will still have a legacy in 100 years remains to be seen, but I see the hand of a pragmatist who had a clear vision of what he wanted to achieve and an ability to use the meager tools at his disposal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Context (and history) is everything

Well said.

What sickens me is our prime minister saying that we must learn from Mandella, only a week or so after saying that there will never be a truth and reconciliation commission in Northern Ireland.

Hypocrisy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

So Mandela created Ubuntu and Al Gore invented the internet

Boy we have some (read: not many) talented pols around here. You learn something new on el Reg every day!

(Yes, I saw the part about how its not THAT Ubuntu)

4. TomasF

For starters...

...I want you to become the first person in a British memorial service to say f***

Looks like everyone had a good time together through his memory. That's the South Africa Mandela enabled. Good show.

5. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Flame

Obama is NOT "the leader of the Free World".

That phrase really gets my goat. He's not even the leader of a free USA. Lots of other countries with other leaders are more free than USA.

See icon mouse-over text.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.