Feeds

back to article Internet Explorer 11 at it again, breaks Microsoft's own CRM software

Compatibility problems continue to plague Internet Explorer 11, with some Microsoft customers once again complaining that the company's latest browser doesn't work with one of its own products. Users first raised red flags about IE11 in October, when reports surfaced that the browser was rendering a number of sites strangely, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

I suspect it is hard coded IE versions in Dynamics CRM code

A few of our .Net based sites broke in IE 10 when it was released because Microsoft had hard coded IE version numbers into the .Net framework. The fix was a patch for .Net that added the newer versions into the list of compatible browsers. For the versions that weren't on the list it decided you had an unsupported browser and only allowed basic functionality to work.

I suspect this is the same issue turned up to 11.

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: As long as compatibility mode works, I don't see a big problem.

err..

It doesn't.

Do you see that ?

And OWA 2010

It also breaks Outlook Web Access on Exchange 2010 - it forces you to use the basic browsing-on-Netscape layout rather than the modern look one, unless you put it in compatibility mode.

Yes, it is because they've gotten better at standards and the only way to escape their legacy hackery has been for them to pretend not to be IE (they've removed the "MSIE" from the user agent - http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2013/07/02/internet-explorer-11-dont-call-me-ie/ ), so it's a good sign, but given they should know which of their products will break you'd think they could include some kind of whitelist so as not to break basic functionality.

Anonymous Coward

Re: And OWA 2010

There's more to fixing OWA than a change of browser though.

Simple basics like it uses different "stationery" in OWA vs desktop Oulook (different fonts, different sig). Or is that specific to my employer?

Still, it's new, you can't expect it to be right immediately.

Bronze badge

But is the fault with IE11?

More importantly, however, it's a bummer for Microsoft's Internet Explorer team, which has been touting IE11 as its best-performing and most standards-compliant browser to date.

That may well be the case.

Has anyone considered that the problem might be better seen as the MS web-site itself is producing such poor HTML that it confuses MS's own browser? No doubt because MS has been so used to writign MS-style HTML, and using tools that do the same.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Er...

.." although exactly why the issues cropped up to begin with is not entirely clear"

That's easy - LACK OF TESTING. Since Ballmer took over, that is the norm.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Er...

Lack of testing eh? I remembered that there had been a quite few cases of Windows updates bricking PCs and Microsoft had to recall those updates after news broke out.

That's why it's important to NEVER auto-update Windows, and only (selectively) update after a few weeks or months. Let the 'early adopters' do the beta testing for you.

It sounds more like a case of low morale Microsoft employees who're just going through the motions and not giving a flip about their work.

Silver badge

C'mon guys. Give 'em a break

They're so used to breaking everyone else's stuff they thought it only fair to break their own as well - just to be 'one of the boys'.

Bronze badge

probably a .NET problem

We found that .NET sites started having problems with IE11, especially postbacks. Upgrading the server from ASP.NET 4 to 4.5 fixed it.

Microsoft had all the same problems when IE10 came out and has learned nothing.

These days, they should not need to browser sniff - virtually every client is largely web standards compliant, supports javascript and so on. If they really must browser sniff to support old clients like IE6, then at least assume by default that any unknown device is upscale and should be served the full monty.

Gold badge

Re: probably a .NET problem

"If they really must browser sniff to support old clients like IE6, then at least assume by default that any unknown device is upscale and should be served the full monty."

This, lots. It has *always* been the case that if you are going to browser sniff then your default option for "unknown" browsers should be to presume full compliance. This article explains why.

Anonymous Coward

IE 11 is fast and fluid

Just like diarrhoea.

Solution: use a proper browser (hint: one that doesn't use the turd of a layout engine called Trident).

Hardware: Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM

Time to start IE11 to homepage.........20sec +

Time to lose patience with this PoS, then uninstall: 10 minutes

Time to start IE9 to homepage: <1 sec.

Stunned that this passed QA. It did go via QA didn't it? Hello? Hello? Dial tone.

Message to Msoft: Stop f88king around with stuff for f88king-around-with-stuff's sake;

Bah

I am mainly a Firefox user and try to ignore IE updates as much as possible. But MS pushed IE11 as an "important update", so I went ahead and updated it. They could have made it an optional update or waited 6 months or a year.

Re: Bah

I don't care which IE version is installed as long as I do not need to use it. I've let IE11 install to stop it nagging me and never bothered even to check how it looks.

Oh cock

I know at least one machine is on ie11 :-/ really hope the outlook plugin isn't affected

Brilliant return to work present after my hols.

IE 11 seems to be a trip back to the bad old days of microsoft. It crashes constantly on my PC I'll get around to turning off the hardware accelerated rendering soon, but I use Chrome day to day and its just for the odd site which is still IE only that I use it.

Anonymous Coward

"IE 11 seems to be a trip back to the bad old days of microsoft. It crashes constantly on my PC "

That will be an Addin....

Launch it from Program Files / Accessories / System Tools / Internet Explorer (No Addins)

Also breaks CRM access from Outlook

Explorer 11 has made CRM 4 being accessed through Outlook unable to open entity windows. It just displays a small "Error" message on the main list window footer and doesn't open the entity.

Simply removing the Explorer 11 update and restarting your computer fixes the problem.

No IE11 for Windows 8.0?

So Windows 7 SP1 users can get IE11, and Windows 8.1 users get it stock, but Windows 8.0 users can't get it? WTH?

Anonymous Coward

Re: No IE11 for Windows 8.0?

Windows 8.0 users are expected to upgrade to 8.1 since it's free

Thumb Up

Love 11

Very profitable for us at the moment removing 11 back to <whatever version> then turning off the auto update.

Microsoft release new versions fairly regularly and each versions is worse than the last. IE for me personally is a hound!.....give it up Microsoft!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.