back to article Winamp is still a thing? NOPE: It'll be silenced forever in December

The latest version of Winamp, released on Wednesday, will be the last, with the venerable media-playing software scheduled to all but vanish from the internet next month. "Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013," reads a notice posted to the Winamp website on Wednesday. " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John H Woods Silver badge

Like Tie Rack ...

... I thought it had gone away years ago.

2. Novex

A bit of a shame..

I switched to Winamp from WMP quite a few years ago now (pre Vista's release I think) due to changes in WMP that I didn't like. Winamp came up trumps as an alternative enough that I bought the Pro version and I've been happy with it most of the time ever since, with just the minor niggle or two.

I've downloaded the latest release, and will keep on using it as long as I can. I even have older computers I can keep running (or get a VM going with Win 7 or XP) which will allow me to carry on as long as those computers keep working.

I will probably eventually have to change to something else, just like I have to change mobile phones eventually (for ones with no removable battery or storage :( ). Life does move on, even when sometimes we don't want it to.

3. Azzy

What a screwing!

Why can't they open source it, or at least release it into the public domain, if they're done with it? Why must they engage in "book burning"?

I use this application on all of my windows systems, and it's integrated with a remote control system that I have put a great deal of time into (based on WWWinamp, but it didn't do everything I needed it to and was no longer being supported, so I decompiled it and added a few features I needed, and fixed a few bugs).

1. Not That Andrew

Re: What a screwing!

Nullsoft is owned by AOL. Good luck getting them to open source anything

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: What a screwing!

"Good luck getting them to open source anything"

Like AOLServer?

Or other stuff from this 8 year old article?

I'm not sure they could be described as FOSS friendly, but it's not something they are totally averse to.

4. Sly
    Flame

BAH HUMBUG!

Winamp is the only media player that will sort the playlist by path AND filename that's I've used thus far. (Will check out foobar2000.) All other media players want to sort by metadata instead and have no way to sort really old stuff that is simply a file (comes up "unknown" in the list and won't use the filename). Sorting my stuff with those shows about 30-50 unknowns. I'll stick with Winamp in Windows and Audacious in Linux. I may switch to Audacious all around if it's stable enough.

1. bcassell
      Alert

Re: BAH HUMBUG!

You should use a tool like " Tag & Rename " to fill out the ID3 tags (metadata) on your old files.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

It can extract the information from the filenames, or from online databases.

1. Tommy Pock

or Easytag on Linux. I use that alongside Rhythmbox, no problems here.

1. Fatman

or Easytag ExFalso on Linux. I use that alongside Rhythmbox, no problems here.

FTFY!!!

2. Cari

or the Auto-tag feature within Winamp...

1. Not That Andrew

Or you could use MusicBrainz Picard or MP3Tag to tag your stuff. But, yes Foobar2k can sort by path, and will display the file name in the playlist if there is no metadata

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. K

R.I.P

Shame :( one of the better music players, even on Android.

Perhap they could be convinced to open source it?

7. alur

Winamp OK for me

I've used Winamp since 2000. I don't like Windows Media player because all I want to do is listen to my music files and adjust the equalizer. I don't care about album covers or info about the album. If I want info, I go to the web. I'll miss Winamp.

8. ThomH

WinAMP was a turning point for me...

... well-engineered and extremely popular as it was, its users' obsession with skins and customisation was the first thing that made me feel that I'm something different from the typical self-declared "technical" user. I just want the music to play and the thing that does that to be as invisible as possible.

It's sad to see WinAMP go though. It ushered in the modern world of music consumption.

1. Cari

Re: WinAMP was a turning point for me...

I was trying to remember what it was that got me hooked on it too and totally forgot about all the visual customisation you could have! I just use the large Bento skin and listen to my own music collection now but it was the skins and SHOUTcast that drew me in.

9. Paul J Turner

I will miss it...

When I next want to listen to a CMF file as it should really sound.

I had a plug in for the FM sysnthesis part of Creative Music Files from old games like 'Jill Of The Jungle' etc.

Without it, you just get the MIDI part, IF the player will handle it at all.

I didn't transfer my WinAMP Pro to my new 64-bit PC but went with VLC instead, now I am thinking I need to think again

I will definitely investigate FooBar2000 though, thanks for the tips - http://www.foobar2000.org/.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

MusicBee

Used Foobar for years until stumbled across MusicBee.

It has the best features of Foobar in a great package.

10. Kuddy

I'll remember the early versions fondly but I also moved away due to v3 bloat. Currently using mediamonkey on the htpc and droids for flac and mp3 but might take a look at foobar2000

11. kenth

i'm surprised

i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, after AOL got a hold of it. But I wonder if it has to do acquiring Orb recently that took them under, or if it is being removed in advance of a new product coming out.

12. Barry Rueger

Audacious

I've been using Audacious on Linux for a while - what I take to be a Winamp clone? I really can't understand why you need behemoth of a program just to play tunes. http://audacious-media-player.org/

Like Winamp did on Windows, Audacious does on Linux and Windows - gives you a really simple music player.

Seriously, why do the people designing music players feel the need to i-Tunesify them and make large, cumbersome, and confusing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's what I love most about WinAMP--and when I had to use Linux, Audacious as well--it's a music player, that just happens to have a media library attached. Unlike every other "player" out there that wants to fill your screen with a giant list of all your files, but might play them too if you're lucky. I want to listen to the music. Maybe I'll glance over and look at the title if I'm not familiar with it, but I don't really want to spend my time organizing or thumbing through my list of music. And I certainly have better things to look at than a huge text list of all the music on my server. One of the best things about WinAMP has always been that you can resize it. If you need the library, it's there; but when you just want to get something done, you can shrink it down and just see the bits you want.

So, yeah... I'm off to download the last version and any plug-ins I might want from their server before we're all stuck with iTunes and foobar.

13. RLWatkins

It was a good run

Sad. I use it on Win7 and on Android. Works well, stays the hell out of my way, doesn't need a lot of tinkering. And it beats the bundled players by miles.

Do I sound too non-technical? No. I've been programming for 40 years and know the value of a tool I can install and use without making a career out of tweaking it.

Typical of AOL to say, "Huge user base? Screw 'em."

14. FrankAlphaXII

Well that blows. I still use Winamp on Windows. The Windows version of VLC has never quite done it for me, though it is the media player I use on Linux. But if I'm listening to music on Windows, I'm doing it through Winamp, I have for a very long time, and nothing else feels right to me. WinAmp's EQ was always better for me, plus all my presets are saved in WinAmp's format, the output plugins were extensively customizable inside of the program. And Milkdrop still had the coolest random visualizations. Looks like I'm gonna have to grab an installer and drop the motherfucker on a CD-R, or a USB drive with a very clear label, WINAMP - DO NOT FORMAT!

Yet again, fuck AOL. Add WinAmp's scalp to the pile that Netscape's is on. My god they're a worthless corporation. I wonder if they'll axe the Nullsoft install system while they're at it, because its old but still useful, and AOL can't have that apparently.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spotify

Yep, I used to install winamp almost before any other software on any new pc. Now it's kind of obsolete, I don't want to manage mp3s and disks, Spotify does the trick for me. Hats off to them for giving it a clean send off and retiring it: winamp was legendary. Whip the llamas ass for the last time.

But on a side note I think the pc days are about to make a comeback with those new consoles providing the catalyst and tablets do not cut it with me. Just bought me a new gaming rig instead since the games are cheaper, more varied, and the 9800 graphics card rocks!

1. Alan_Peery

Re: Spotify

I mostly agree, but everything is not available or it's been mucked with. There are are artist who have never been on Spotify, who only put on some of their albums, or who pull them off after they have been there for some time. Other times it seems that the albums are there, but they are remastered versions where the remastering has been done poorly -- or where a live version of the music has been substituted for the studio original...

There are also Spotify annoyances -- if you use Spotify in multiple devices, caching a single track to a fourth device doesn't give an error about exceeding the number of allowed devices. It just silently wipes (at random) the cache of one of the other devices where you have hundreds of tracks cached. A proper approach would be to warn you of the limit, and allow you to stop the caching or transfer the ability from one of the other devices.

Having said all that, Spotify does cover 90%+ of my music listening.

16. Zmodem

the whole of nullsoft left the company when AOL brought it, and forced the corporate office and ties, nullsoft has had 3 people there for 10 years just tweaking a few bugs and the janitor

shoutcast will rule forever, and laugh at all other streaming services, the source will probably be leaked, so everyone can carry on streaming MP3, over the automated transcoder without needing a licence

shoutcast 2, you can infinate relays and nodes from a single source server and used in all university radio`s and dance music and a million other things

17. RAMChYLD

Well, I haven't used it in a while, but I happen to know people who still use it. And I have fond memories of it.

So I created this petition to help them: https://www.change.org/petitions/aol-nullsoft-open-source-winamp

Hoping it catches on.

1. Robert Baker
      FAIL

There are reasons why bundled players are ignored in favour of add-on ones

I first got into ripping music to hard drive by using Windows Mediocre Player to rip an album to WMA. For some reason I've now forgotten (no, it wasn't cause and effect), that drive had to be reformatted soon afterwards, but everything was backed-up first, including that album -- or so I thought.

It was only after I restored the backup, and tried to play the album, that I learned (far too late) that stupid WMP had silently added DRM to those files I ripped, and I should have also backed-up the certificates, w/herever they were stored, so the rip was worthless.

From that moment on, I switched to Winamp and MP3. I only use WMP occasionally, making sure it rips to a lossless non-DRM'd format which I can then convert to MP3 using Goldwave, if the CD can't be ripped by Goldwave directly because it's not (yet?) on FreeDB.

(Hence the "Fail" icon -- fail for WMP being the reason why I switched to Winamp, fail for AOL discontinuing the product especially at such short notice.)

As for the petition, it would be a good idea were it not for the fact that e-petitions aren't worth the paper they're written on. (And it's a pity that the Break The Chain page explaining why has gone.)

18. Dave C

Vanish ?

Used Winamp since it was launched but I managed to go 16 odd years without paying anything, so the news I won't be able to in future leaves me fairly dry eyed.

I run version 2.8 on legacy windows boxes and I'll carry on doing so until such time as I finally cut the ties with Microsoft.

Everyone's needs are different. I hardly ever use playlists and can't stand software which wants to 'organize' my files - including the bloatier versions of Winamp of course (I mean really just fuck off with that). I just want a simple player that handles a range of formats. Winamp isn't perfect but it has some very useful features. Tried lots of others but never found a player I preferred until I came across 1by1, a freeware directory-based player, and I still use Winamp for single files and podcasts.

Winamp (at least the paid for versions of it) may disappear from mainstream shareware sites but it's only going to "vanish from the web" if AOL bothers issuing take down notices to the various legacy software sites which already host every version of it. Those versions which don't need a paid for license will still function as well as they did from new downloads. Might want to grab any plugins or skins before Winamp.com is switched off though.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Large collection

My preferred audio player is MediaMonkey Gold (the pay for version). It is the only player I have found which caters for my excessively large collection of over 400,000 tracks.

20. Daniel Voyce

Where can I get a media player that has the same version of Milkdrop that Winamp has?

I use Winamp on the TV in my lounge for background music when mates are around and the Amazing Milkdrop 2 visalisation pack - Does anyone know of another Media player I can get it on? I remember looking a year or so back but it seems the presets that come with Winamp are in a league of their own!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't you please think about the Androids?

Can anyone suggest an alternative media file player and shoutcast streaming app for Android? I've found Winamp is by far the best. Oh and BTW, just die of some STD, Google. I can't wait to get a FF phone, or a maybe Meego/Tizen phone. Ef Google so hard, man. Sickos.

1. Zmodem

Re: Won't you please think about the Androids?

you can listen to shoutcast streams in any player, if it does'nt support .pls, change the extension to txt and open the url inside

22. lorisarvendu
    Unhappy

Been using Winamp for two decades now, with gap-killer and occasional cross-fade plugin. Plus the disk-writer for when I quickly want to dump an mp3 to WAV. What am I going to do now? I feel lost.

23. Cari
    Thumb Down

Gutted doesn't even come close :( I use VLC to watch videos but WinAMP's been my music player of choice since my family got a PC with an Internet connection. Satan will be skating to work before I use some shit like iTunes and I'm far too lazy to try and get last.fm working with something that isn't the big three - it works with my phone and my PC thanks to WinAMP!

24. Elmer Phud

Milk Drop dropped?

I only use WinAmp for the visualisation stuff via line in.

Anything else out there that is as easy to use?

1. Alan_Peery

Re: Milk Drop dropped?

This looks interesting: http://www.vsxu.com/products/player. From the notes:

Select the sound source you want VSXU to react to:

Line-in or mic for an external audio signal - ensure you adjust your microphone boost to suit as external audio signals will vary on different cards.

AUX or 'what you hear' to react to music from your favourite audio player

1. Zmodem

the modern world uses usb DAC for digital audio connection

if your card doesnt have a dac, you need a external usb hub

1. Zmodem

give it 10 years and RCA leads will be fully replaced on all hardware with micro usb and just transfer the audio stream as is

1. Zmodem

optical sends a signal and nothing else, RCA leads cannot handle all frequencies and need more wire strands and AWGs for different speakers, and hardware to amps and will loose frequencies along the cable depending on how long the cable is

DAC transfters the stream packets as it is from the original source, and will never change until it reaches your speakers

first comes studio hardware, and audiophilie seperate hifi`s, then all other domestic hardware that catches on to the way it will be

1. Zmodem

in 10 years, all RCA leads will be replaced with micro USB and DAC on hifi`s, studio hardware, your TV/boxes to AV amp, and everything else in between

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks God!

I flirted with this thing briefly (a couple of days perhaps) in the 1990s, but the interface was so garish, I ditched it and never came back. And, every time I see it on some poor soul's computer, I have a faint impression it comes bundled with some shit spamware. I never understood why people are still attracted to it. After all, there are many players who do exactly the same job, without resorting to rococo gui. After all it's supposed to play audio files (mainly), not look pretty on my screen?

26. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: abandonware

From a quick read of the Winamp site and forum, it would seem there is no real reason why the source code etc. can not be published, since Nullsoft/AOL own the copyright and seem to be prepared to abandon the work.

I suspect releasing it as a 'textbook' implementation of a software media player, would also limit the extent to which nefarious parties could claim retrospective infringement...

27. Lexxy
    Unhappy

I still use Winamp to this day and it's a shame to see it go.

What else will play my .MOD files?

1. Zmodem

xmplay, its light weight, has proper custom shape skins and can use winamp plugins

kjofol still exists, the r0n coder, stopped work on kjofol and added custom shaped skins to winamp

28. Longrod_von_Hugendong

That is a sad day...

I used to use WinAmp, but that sadly seems to be its problem - We all used to use it.

Still, a sad day never the less.

I think i will download it now. I have like 10 tracks on my computer, everything else comes from Spotify now.

29. Oli 1

one of the only bits of software i bought! - a real shame.

I remember when AOL bought them and thought this is the end, and we got another decade out of them. truly a shame to see them go, but i wont be uninstalling anytime soon, so long live the llama!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Broadcast Use

In the days before radio station playout software was both cheap and reliable, I used Winamp to varying degrees to run the playout for 3 RSL's. The final one in 2002, everything came off of Winamp.

You could run multiple instances and get each instance to play out via a separate sound card. That's not something you can take for granted even today with non professional software. Meant I could route each instance through a separate fader.

I was still using it as my main media player until 2008 when I migrated to the Mac.

Also spoke to a friend this morning who at this very moment is using Winamp to play a test feed on a soon to launch broadcast service. Can't say more but the versatility of Winamp and small footprint made it ideal as a reliable player ahead of the proper pro kit being switched on ahead of launch.

Hope they open source it but somehow doubt that will happen.

This topic is closed for new posts.