back to article BT Sport scores own goal with £897m Champions League footie rights deal

BT massively padded out its investment in the telecom giant's new Sports TV channel on Saturday after it won the rights to show all UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League football matches for three seasons from 2015/16. It has splurged £900m on the TV rights, adding to the £738m it already sunk into 38 live Premier …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Saturdays and Sundays on terrestrial telly, taken up by reruns of Colombo and tacky reality kareoke contests instead.

1. teapot9999

Can I opt out?

Dear BT,

My 73meg connection is fine, but I do not want BT Sport, what deduction can I have each month for unsubscribing?

(BTW: you are not losing out as I do not have Sky either)

Regards

BT Customer

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Can I opt out?

Plusnet (owned by BT) is cheaper, but doesn't come with BT Sport. That is your deduction for unsubscribing.

2. robert_raw

We had BT vision etc, it was shit!

Wanted to go to virgin but cant get it around here so am now with sky, it makes me sick that even though I have left BT, they get my money in some way.

1. mrfill

Blame Sky then - they were the ones that started all this pay pay pay for TV, so they get subscriptions AND have adverts to grab even more.

BTSport is not mandatory on the Sky platform. If you don't want to pay BT, don't.

Just keep supporting the utterly pure and respectable Murdoch organisation, you know, the one that paid £336m corporation tax on its £6.4bn income....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well done BT and Virgin Media!

Who cares about Sky?

I'm glad I get BT Sport as part of my Virgin Media tv package - I've never paid for any sky sports or movies and I never will, so it's nice to get live matches like the previous season when ESPN had them on VM.

4. Arachnoid

Why do some people

Think they should view sport for free when you need to purchase a ticket to watch it in person?

As for BTs regular invitation to have a "free box" with not much more than paid content on it for "only" £5/month Im not interested, nor am I interested in renewing my 12 month contract just to get "free" sports channels.

5. spegru

To be Fair

Line rental and broadband access goes to Openreach, whereas this is BT retail.

(that's also the reason you get two boxes with BT Infinity)

Some might be hard pressed to tell the difference of course, esp as Mr Patterson is CEO of both!

Brings forward the day of a complete split between the two methinks

1. Salts

Re: To be Fair

Good points, I think you are correct with a complete split prediction.

BT has always wanted to be a Broadcaster, seem to remember it was Maggie Thatcher that banned BT from broadcasting to allow the cable companies to recover their investment in laying cable, that worked well.

As noted by others almost 10% cut off the value of Sky stock today :-)

BT will also broadcast some of the games free, which is more than Sky ever does, Sky have needed some competition for sometime, lets hope BT can do it, I was a happy customer of BT with BT Vision though sports is of little interest to me it is a massive win for BT, this is how Sky got such a hold on pay tv by bidding high for the premier league or was it First division football rights.

I personally would have preferred if they had invested 1.5 billion into production of some decent content, that would mean drama, comedy and TV like we used to have, rather than line the pockets of over paid footballers. But compared to football fans I am very much in the minority.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

BT beat a joint Sky / ITV bid. The free matches went on ITV and there will be less free matches on BT than there were on ITV.

2. Farmer Fred

Actually the two boxes are because pre V5 versions of the Home Hub do not handle VDSL, whereas the HH5 does, installations with pre V5 have to use a separate modem. For office politics it was decided that Openreach would supply modem where required.

6. eJ2095

BBC

Wonder when they will make the BBC Subscription only and get rid of the tv license...

Oh look a flying pig

1. BongoJoe

Re: BBC

One will happen. The other will not.

Do you need to guess which?

2. chrspy

God help us if that day ever comes. The quality of TV has nosedived since the advent of Sky with the BBC having to go downmarket as well to keep up it's ratings (imagine the hoo-ha over the licence fee if the BBC was not still regularly topping the ratings). If the BBC were to go then 24/7/365 X-factor/Big Brother/Get me out of here, etc ..............

1. King Jack

The BBC does not need ratings. It gets it's money from the licence fee. It is not nor has it ever been in competition with anyone. The BBC could show paint drying and you would still be forced to pay them. The BBC goes down market to save money on programming to pay the directors millions in bonuses and helicopter rides.

They love it when plebs defend them as if they are the holders of quality standards. TV has gone the way it is because the market allows it. If people hated crap tv they wouldn't subscribe to it.

7. tekgun

Which channels were showing all this free to air football everyone keeps talking about?

8. Mike Smith
    FAIL

A little more serious than it might appear

Surprised the Reg hasn't picked up on this - frittering money away like this could have serious ramifications for us all.

Y'see, just like the digital TV failures of a few years ago, BT could collapse if they insist on pissing money up against the wall like this without seeing a decent return on investment. Before you all say that the government won't let that happen because BT's responsible for National Critical Infrastructure, just remember this - the infrastructure in question is confined to the PSTN, several dedicated networks that link various government and private NCI sites and the 999 service. The great unwashed like us can whistle if we think we'd be allowed near any of that.

If it did happen, the government would bail out BT, but only to ensure that the NCI they're responsible for is protected. Streaming media, content-free content, overpriced footy matches and all the rest of it are not classed as NCI and they could vanish overnight. So too could home broadband connections - apart from some essential exceptions, they're not classed as NCI either. We'd be back in an instant to the days of 56K dial-up connections. If you've still got that old Pace Linnet in the attic, you might want to hang on to it.

I used to work for BT, so I do (for once) know what I'm talking about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A little more serious than it might appear

Football 'vanishing overnight' is not something I would classify as serious.

1. Mike Smith

Re: A little more serious than it might appear

Indeed. I think my reaction to the disappearance of football would be somewhere between 'meh' and 'wha'evvah'.

But the loss of most of the UK's home broadband connections is a different matter, because conceivably that's what could happen if BT went bust - and it would take time for the remaining telcos to cherry-pick what they wanted. And you can bet the remains of BT would do their damndest to lose the Universal Service Obligation, so tough titty if you live out in the sticks and want a phone line.

All joking apart, there is a risk of this happening - the bulk of the UK's broadband connections could be at risk of going tits-up just because some cretins though it made sense to blow hundreds of millions on the right to show groups of men kicking a ball about.

9. circusmole

Will I be able...

...to watch all this footy down the 1Mb/s broadband connection that BT gives me?

1. Sparkypatrick

Re: Will I be able...

BT Sport is delivered over Freeview.

10. chrspy

Why does the Reg seem always to be in favour of Sky? Anyone who starts breaking the Sky broadcasting monopoly is good for me. Murdoch used his ill-gotten gains from moving The Sun to Wapping to fund Sky for years. Now someone is coming along who can give them a run for their money, unlike the previous attempts which have lacked the background structure .......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I hear ya, but

I'm not a big fan of the Murdoch monopoly BUT... the constant federation of sports rights is in no way beneficial for the consumer.

If someone happens to be a big football fan they now have to buy a service from Sky, BT, ESPN possibly just to watch their team play.

Surely it would make more sense just to sell job lot to one vendor every year, at least then we'd have time to switch if needs be.

The only people who benefit from the 'competition' are they rights holders as they get silly auctions where idiots from BT burn money on content formerly the paid for by adverts. (in the champions league bit)

Last time I was in the US ESPN seemed to have mountains of channels with each one having a particular sport on, so presumably you could subscribe to certain sports or sport bundles.

With these kind of auctions I can only see the price to the end consumer going up in the long run as the costs have to be recovered so the net result (pardon the pun) will be sports viewing gets more expensive in the long run regardless of the model.

grrr

11. Adam JC

Simple answer...

"It’s an extreme move. It’s hard to see what’s happened to UEFA rights to make them worth over twice as much," Enders said.

That'll be the absolutely OBSCENE amount of money that footballers are paid . I think that's pretty easy for all to see, actually...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Simple answer...

I guess this has to be viewed as an attempt to shore up their broadband customers rather than making the money back through subscriptions as that would be impossible, so if BT is targeting 5% growth in subscriptions that may cover a good proportion of the cost. Its funny how after 30 odd years of deregulation people now associate competition with price rises as so often all we've done is move from a benevolent monopoly to a malevolent one.

12. CCCP

The rights market is broken...

Sorry, no cheers here. But this deal just illustrates how screwed the international rights market is.

From abroad, this now looks properly crazy. Like insane. Weird on a stick-like.

I predict that over time we will see a more individual subscription model, as someone mentioned the US works already. By over time I mean decades btw.

Spotify for TV anyone?

13. banjomike
    FAIL

This explains BT starting to charge for Caller ID

They need the money for crap.

14. Bonce

"giving sport back to the fans"

How is it giving sport back to the fans when they're taking it off free to air channels and putting it on subscription?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is this news on an IT site? Do any of us actually watch football? It's a dark art with attatched memories of those dark school days for me...

16. John Ruddy

Market doesnt think so. BSkyB shares fall 10% on news of loss of Champions League. No change in BT price.

17. davemcwish

Rural Broadband

Shouldn't they be concentrating on spending the £1.2bn of public money on rural broadband like they were supposed to or doesn't that give them the required media exposure ?

18. ColonelClaw

They weren't just buying footy rights

Don't forget, they are also paying for a percentage of new customers previously with Sky, and for Sky's stock price to tank. It's a 3-in-1 deal.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT remember to lock your back door

This story went around when On digital/ ITV digital went under " News Corporation firm NDS accused of ITV Digital hack" see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17494723

Wonder if the same will happen again??

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.