back to article KRAKOOM! iPad Air explose in fireball, terrified fanbois flee Apple store

Apple fanbois around the world are on red alert after one of the latest fruity fondleslabs caught fire and exploded in an Australian Vodafone shop. A demonstration model of the new iPad Air caused a fire so intense that the fire brigade were called. Although no-one was hurt in the fire, fanbois around the world will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DJV Silver badge
    Happy

Maybe...

Maybe they should name the next one the iPad Water - it will be able to put its own fires out then.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Maybe...

Great idea, apart from the moisture sensors.

Actually, there's a cunning sales idea in there. Just have it spot the launch of its successor and drench itself. Presto; one written off device that's invalidated its own warranty, obliging the punter to buy a new one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe...

I thought that feature was called "Windows Update"?

2. messele

"Your correspondent visited the London iPad Air launch and was unimpressed: Yes, it's an iPad, which weighs a bit less than the old one and is quicker."

This respondent doesn't give a fuck for the opinion of this so called correspondent but is amused that he wasted his time going to the launch of something he clearly was going to hate - just so he could hate it.

By the way, the tablet in the Daily Fail photo isn't an iPad Air. This is the second time this afternoon I've picked up on a 'The Recycler' supposed journo who's simply cut and pasted from some other incompetent fucking idiot journo elsewhere.

What are the qualifications to do this job exactly?

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

This respondent thought the article was slightly amusing, but knew the comments thread would be much funnier.

Thanks messele, you're a star!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

The Recycler! Ha ha! Love it!

3. sabroni Silver badge
    Thumb Up

You might not like Jasper Hamill

but he certainly knows how to get the indignant fanboys posting!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You might not like Jasper Hamill

No! No! No!

Anyone who likes to see even slightly-not-quite-so-bad reporting.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone who likes to see even slightly-not-quite-so-bad reporting.

Anyone who likes to see a properly constructed sentence more like!

Are the appletards paying their children to post? Or are you just sticking pins in a dictionary?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone who likes to see a properly constructed sentence more like!

A marvellous example of a wrongly constructed sentence calling for properly constructed sentences. Still, it's good to see the grammatically challenged displaying ambitions to improve themselves and others, no matter how futile and ill-advised. May I deduce, from your own lack of mental clarity, inadvertently demonstrated while aiming to point out that lack in others, that you are an Android user?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Gimp

Re: Anyone who likes to see a properly constructed sentence more like!

> ... that you are an Android user?

The Apple is strong in this one!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: The Apple is strong in this one!

The Apple is strong, and the grammar is easy. Fish are jumping, and the cotton is high.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fondleslab?

More fondue than fondle here...

5. Mtech25
    Trollface

Ipad Air explodes

Fanbois blame reporter for daring to besmirch Apples good name

6. Elmer Phud

An excuse at last

For those who really detest the things you can now cross the road to piss on them.

"Sorry mate, it's for your own good"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple store?

Have Apple bought Vodafone Australia then?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not only is it lighter, faster and with improved resolution, but they still found room to squeeze in an increased risk that it could burn you to death by setting your house on fire in the middle of the night, and your still not happy... there's just no satisfying some people.

9. gregj

another useless report

some reporters expect sex to get better every year too.. Idiots...

Re: another useless report

> expect sex to get better every year

It doesn't?

1. Steve Knox
        Coat

If it doesn't, then you're not holding it right.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It does, I know because unlike you I have had sex with another person

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: unlike you I have had sex with another person

Close relatives don't count

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Close relatives don't count

Rednecks eh?

2. hplasm
          Coat

Close relatives don't count - unless up to twenty, on their toes...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But we all knew...

that buy Apple products burns a hole in your pocket didn't we - the only news is that it is now literaly true (assuming large ipad sized pockets of course).

11. silent_count

This fondleslab will self-destruct in...

Surely there's a mission impossible joke to be had here.

12. Phenomonal Phablet Phanboy

Phenonomal Phablet Phanboy

I guess this joker will whine when iPad sales tops 80 milllion over the next 12 months??

What a maroon

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Phenonomal Phablet Phanboy

Is that what Samsung are doing wrong? Not including a self destruct mechanism in their tablets.

13. Vince

20% thinner, 100% more combustable.

Available in chargrilled black

That's "magical and revolutionary" is it?

14. Nigel 11

Halt and catch fire malware?

It's probably just a faulty battery.

But these days with fancy battery control chips capable of being controlled by the slab's CPU, I fear it's only a matter of time before someone works out how to implement HCF (halt and catch fire).

15. Don Jefe

Next Generation of Engineers from the 'Creative' Types? Hardly

Ok, fine, you've got to call the fire department in a retail shopping area, that's fair. But people ran away from an 'exploding' iPad? Lame.

How are people supposed to learn what happens when things go wrong if they're running away from it? Failure to observe not only the events, but how they were managed, indicates these people are incapable of rational thought, risk assessment and any sense of wonder. The big push in the West for more engineers may have come too late if this is what we can expect from the educated, middle and upper classes (Apple's core market).

Maybe next year at intern selection time I'll have something catch fire and see how they respond.

16. Frumious Bandersnatch

saw a "burst of flames" shoot out of the iPad's charging port

Thunderbolt and lightning---very, very frightening!

17. LaeMing

It's Australia!

Here, even the iPads are trying to kill you.

18. SoaG

"Apple's hottest (sorry)"

No you're not.

19. Dropper

Oh cool another Apple product that self-destructs, it must be that time of year again.. I'm assuming having all your products self-ignite is some sort of marketing scheme to encourage the purchase of extended warranties..

So far that makes the macbook, iphones 4 and 5, ipods, and now ipads. I don't care if it was an ipad 4 or ipad air, it's still another exploding idevice. I also don't care if the fault lies with the battery.. Apple has had about a decade to figure out how to buy batteries that don't blow up and so far they seem to have unusual difficulty finding some that are stable at room temperature.

1. Don Jefe

You do realize that Apple has sold a few hundred million iPads right? They experience very few fires, especially considering the quantities that are out there. You stand a better chance of being strafed by machine gun fire from a Zeppelin on a bombing run than you do of experiencing an iFire.

Even the best manufacturing facilities have some problem products that slip through QA. You simply can't expect perfection from a mass production line. The media makes a big deal out of Apple failures because Apple kind of sets themselves up as 'superior' and it's always fun to kick those kinds of companies in the shins.

1. croc

"You do realize that Apple has sold a few hundred million iPads right? They experience very few fires, especially considering the quantities that are out there. You stand a better chance of being strafed by machine gun fire from a Zeppelin on a bombing run than you do of experiencing an iFire."

Actually, as things now stand I have an infinitely greater chance of experiencing an iPad burning. Several Vodafone Australia customers will back me up on my version, how many people can you dig up that have even seen a Zeppelin? On a strafing run? While dropping bombs?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

how many people can you dig up that have even seen a Zeppelin?

Quite a few, but they won't be in a fit state to comment on it.

2. Dropper

They experience very few fires

Your comment "they experience very few fires" isn't exactly reassuring. They sell devices to people who live in homes, have families and often give these over-priced iCandies to spoiled children. I may dislike spoiled children but even I will admit setting them on fire is going too far.

Here's the thing, if you're going to sell something to millions of people, saying "They're pretty safe, you have a fair chance of this unit not burning your home to ground while you family sleeps in it.." is not exactly a resounding endorsement. We aren't talking about the occasional fire hazard here, they have enough fire-starting devices to get very, very noticed every time they sell something new. If Apple has sold it in the last decade, you can almost guarantee a larger than normal number of whatever it is has tried to kill its owner.

Being unlucky should mean that one or two devices over a multiple generations of a device explode. Getting bad batteries in the hundreds with the release of each new device you sell means QA is a concept that Apple only has a passing familiarity with. What's next? Giving the Apple QA stamp of approval on cell phones that drop their calls because of the way you hold them?.. wait..

20. TKMatt
    WTF?

Look at the photo

The Daily Mail is the only website with a photo of the device in question, and it doesn't look like an iPad Air. The chassis and bezel look like they come from an older model iPad. The exposed internals don't match up with the teardown photos of the Air on iFixit, and they don't look much like the iPad 4 either.

Shoddy journalism from the DM, and even shoddier journalism from all the other sites that picked up on the story.

21. raving angry loony

It's a hoax

Has to be. Store full of fanbois and other cell-phone carrying junkies and not ONE live video of the event? People take video of the buildings burning around them, there's no excuse for there not being a live video of this. Except if it's a hoax. Q.E.D.

That or El Reg is slipping and didn't link to said live video?

Paris Hilton

YOU WORST SUSPICION IS JUST A CONFIRMATION AWAY!

Maybe all the attendants are under NDA? Or they were a hired crowd....

But yeah, this event needs to be Zaprudered.

22. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"The only part of my Orion that ever worked was the Fuel Computer. Every other piece of electronics in that mobile pile of rust didn't work properly. Fuel leaks."

Wait, did it actually account properly for the fuel leaks? 8-) Just kidding haha

Anyway, seeing the fixit page on this, well... the ipad air and air notebook both looked like the battery was kind of a bag of, I guess, lithium ions that is squished into the unit and glued in place. I would expect a higher rate of damage (either during assembly or after) compared to a more conventional rigid battery case.

"Ok, fine, you've got to call the fire department in a retail shopping area, that's fair. But people ran away from an 'exploding' iPad? Lame."

Burning electronics put out nasty fumes. Plus if the store employees are busy dealing with this burning ipad, they can't attend to the customer or sell them stuff anyway. I mean, I wouldn't go to an Apple store to begin wtih but I'd leave pretty quickly if this happened.

23. ramblog
    Mushroom

crypto lockers rejoice!

'If you don't pay, we can make your iPad go away!.... Pft..... Into thin Air!'

An offer one can't refuse.

Taking money from an iFan is child's play. Apple does it all the time.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who supplies Apple with the batteries? it's not Sony again is it?

No, it's an unnamed factory in Pakistan's FATA.

MUAHAHAHA!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Possible

It might be the glue fumes igniting, thats as good a theory as I've heard.

I noticed that a lot of new devices exhibit quite strong odours when taken out of the box so if fumes built up with a single exit point (ie the charge port) and a static spark was generated then yes a KABOOM could result.

The same mechanism is also responsible for the flaming battery effect seen on some older model phones; its not so much the Li-Ion chemistry itself that is to blame but the hot electrolyte vaporising and escaping from the safety vent.

26. Tyson Key

Did anyone learn from science classes?

Remember kids - Lithium combusts in (an iPad) Air!

27. i like crisps
    Trollface

" SHIT BINS"....a message to Apple UK.

"Shit Bins" yeah?....y'know...those big wire baskets in the middle of

Supermarket aisles that they use to flog all the shit that they've

overstocked on...well if you're concerned that that this' incident'

could impact on sales of the unit and you don't want to end up

with loads of stock that you can't off load, then all you need to do

is get a load of "Shit Bins "in your shops yeah, and stick them all

in there...SORTED. The British public don't care about spontaneous

combustion just as long as it's been heavily discounted.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: " SHIT BINS"....a message to Apple UK.

Last I heard Apple didn't exactly have a problem offloading stock...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like