back to article Facebook fans fuel faggots firestorm

Britain's humble and frankly disgusting offal-based meatball – the faggot – led to one man being temporarily chucked off Facebook, after Americans became outraged by what they believed to be blatant gay-hating behaviour on the free content ad network. The sorry tale started, according to the Sun newspaper, when 54-year-old …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Martin

Re: This is disturbing

"...And every Friday Night is singalong night at the Opera Houses..."

Don't forget that in England, brothels are indicated by a blue light outside. (with thanks to Gerard Hoffnung!)

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Since English is in general of French or German origin :

Fagot : Un fagot est un faisceau de petit bois, de branchages. Translated it becomes "a bunch or bundle of small sticks."

It is difficult to know the etyomology of the American adaptation.. Was it maybe to suggest - "a group ( bundle) of men having small penis(sticks)" ?

By the way I notice that there are two spellings Faggot and Fagot......What are the correct spellings for the English food and the American slander term ?

1. Getriebe

"Un fagot est un faisceau de petit bois, de branchages. "

Which is where we get the word fascist from

So a bundle of right wing sticks

2. BreakIT

"Since English is in general of French or German origin"

Is it?

i thought they were all in general of Latin origin?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: This is disturbing

English is a Germanic language with a French overlay. Of course, French derives ultimately from Latin. There was a huge influx of Latin words into English in the 16th Century - More here.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: This is disturbing

Faggot is correct spelling on both cases.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Well, I'm fagged out after reading this huge comment section!

1. Psyx

Ah, fond memories of some boy fagging for me at school...

4. Chika

"Since English is in general of French or German origin..."

Actually, that's not quite true, though all three languages do have common roots in languages such as Latin and so forth. It's all a matter of who was the biggest b*****d historically in whichever part of the world we are talking of.

Yes, America included!

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Actually the full online OED at www.oed.com does have an entry for the meat(-ish) product, it's in section 5 (out of 9).

1. bygjohn

ISTR reading somewhere that the use of "faggot" as a hate term comes from the gay people they used to burn as a preliminary to burning witches.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Other way around. They burned old women, then they started using "old woman" to mean a gay man and it went from there.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

@mycho @bygjon Re: This is disturbing

You're both wrong. Burning was reserved for "heretics". Accused witches, if they were executed (which was much rarer than people seem willing to accept) were hung or occasionally drowned. Homosexuals were generally hung.

Stop laughing at the back.

Things were bad enough back then without having to make up all these falsehoods and silly stories. The etymology of faggot (and gay for that matter) is not even remotely similar to the one you're spreading, so please stop.

3. This Side Up
      Headmaster

My Concise Oxford Dictionary gives several meanings:

1. n. Bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel;

bundle of iron rods for heat treatment;

bundle of herbs (usu. in pl.);

dish of liver etc. chopped seasoned and baked as ball or roll;

unpleasant woman;

(sl.) homosexual (usu. male).

It can also be used as a verb usually in the context of embroidery.

Also look up faggot-vote - it doesn't mean what you might assume!

Of course "fag" on this side of the pond means "cigarette" amongst other things (toil, drudgery etc) so "lighting up a fag" or "I'm dying for a fag" might trigget a few alarms at farcebook.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Tips for confusing visiting Americans:

1. As well as not worrying when told there's faggots for tea, due to it not meaning what might you think, do not be alarmed if an English person offers you spotted dick afterwards...

2. Elgin Marbles is a fun game for all the family to play. There's a permanent game run at the British Museum every day.

3. David Cameron had a fag at Eton. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

On second thoughts...

4. We're very glad that you noticed our confusion over Orson Scott Card's 'Ender's Game' - and changed the name of the Aliens to the "Formics". Shall we say there would be a good deal of sniggering at the back in cinemas had you kept the original the "Buggers".

5. London Underground encourages its passengers to strike up lively conversations, in order to while away the monotony. In fact, it is considered rude to not make eye contact, or discuss such pleasantries as the weather, on a crowded tube train.

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Ender's Game (Re: This is disturbing

I recall the Buggers was mentioned in the film but I admit I thought I misheard it.

5. Dom 3

I followed the link to oed.com and found this:

5. (See quot. 1851.)

1851 H. Mayhew London Labour II. 227/2 He..made his supper..on ‘fagots’. This preparation..is a sort of cake, roll, or ball,..made of chopped liver and lights, mixed with gravy, and wrapped in pieces of pig's caul.

FWIW I just hoiked my copy of the "Shorter" off the shelf. That's the one that comes in two large and heavy volumes. Neither of the meanings under discussion is listed in the main body of the dictionary, but both are in the Addenda at the end.

6. Gordon 11

From the online Oxford English dictionary

From practical experience.

I used to eat these frequently in the 60's (the Brain's factory that made them was just a mile or so away) and I have eaten them in the last few years too.

They were served up for dinner at Frenchay Hospital (2 years ago), and my Dad looked forward to them when they were on.

7. Chika
      Happy

"Note for visiting Americans: You must not use the word 'pardon' when in England. To do so implies that the person you are speaking to is a serious criminal who has been released from prison on a technicality. It is regarded as very offensive and can cause a violent reaction in most social settings"

Except if you burp first...

8. Kubla Cant
      Headmaster

The word "faggot" meaning "bundle of sticks" is almost certainly derived from the Latin "fascis", which was notably used to describe the bundle of rods carried by lictors, the officials who accompanied Roman consuls. The bundle represented the right of the consul to inflict corporal punishment; when it contained an axe it represented his right to execute.

The best-known term derived from the fasces is, of course Fascism. In the flat estuaries of East Anglia, the rivers are contained by fascine banks, made of bundles of sticks that trap silt.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

www.oed.com does know about edible faggots was Re: This is disturbing

Aksherly:

The full Oxford English Dictionary has an awful lot of definitions for "faggot", including (from http://www.oed.com/search?searchType=dictionary&q=faggot&_searchBtn=Search):

5. (See quot. 1851.)

1851 H. Mayhew London Labour II. 227/2 He..made his supper..on ‘fagots’. This preparation..is a sort of cake, roll, or ball,..made of chopped liver and lights, mixed with gravy, and wrapped in pieces of pig's caul.

1858 G. A. Sala Journey due North 308 The curious viands known in cheap pork-butchery..as Faggots.

1881 in Oxford Gloss. Supp.

I've gained some considerable entertainment thinking about what our cousins over the pond might make of the OED's definitions under "faggot". Such as:

7. A person temporarily hired to supply a deficiency at the muster, or on the roll of a company or regiment; a dummy. Obs.

1699 B. E. New Dict. Canting Crew, Faggots, Men Muster'd for Souldiers, not yet Listed.

1708 Brit. Apollo No. 105. 4/1 You may be some Faggot to pass at a Muster.

a1753 P. Drake Mem. (1755) II. iii. 75 The Adjutants..came to treat and settle with me about the Fagots (Men deficient of the Number of Workmen, ordered from each Regiment).

1756 Ld. Chesterfield Connoisseur No. 102. 618 William, a Faggot in the First Regiment of the Guards.

1802 in C. James New Mil. Dict.

8. = faggot-vote n.

1817 Sir F. Burdett in Parl. Deb. 1st Ser. 1368 These faggots..returned the two members to the House of Commons.

1879 Daily News 16 Apr. 6/6 He..had not the slightest doubt he would win, unless he were to be swamped by faggots.

1884 Truth 13 Mar. 374/1 The art of manufacturing fagots.

10. Psyx

"Note for visiting Americans: You must not use the word 'pardon' when in England. To do so implies that..."

...You are middle class who thinks its upper class to use French words everywhere, like 'serviette'.

Use "What?" like everyone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The OED does give the meatball as a definition. (Although I can see why you missed it.) See meaning 5 entitled "See quote".

2. Robert Grant

Interesting

The tolerance brigade in all its hateful fury at work :)

P.s. I'm obviously against that sort of treatment of people based on their sexuality; it's just that I laugh at the word tolerance. It's not that, it's just modern morality.

3. Craig 28

On another note all visiting Americans should actualy note under no circumstances should they use the word "fanny" with the sole exception of if it is someone's name. Telling a woman to move her fanny will guarantee offence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mmmm, but apparently if they say something that's offensive to us, that's alright. It's if we say (or do) something that's offensive to them, big trouble.

Least that's what it looks like from this perspective.

1. Frank Bough

it's simple

there are more of them than us

2. kain preacher

SO I can't say she hasa cute fanny ?(meaning bum) or to stick it in her fanny pack.

1. DAN*tastik

@ kain preacher

I assume most girls like to receive compliments on their camel toes, so "You have a cute fanny" is an acceptable UK ice breaker.

2. MJI Silver badge

Other side

Fanny is NOT the bum, the bum is the bum

Fanny is the front

3. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

SO I can't say she hasa cute fanny ?(meaning bum) or to stick it in her fanny pack.

Indeed, you have your anatomy arse-about.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Advert :-)

What you need is a copy of "Bum Bags and Fanny Packs: A British-American American-British Dictionary" available from all good Amazon outlets!

Sarah Milligan has a few helpful 'translations' of her own: "American's say Ladybug....we say Chlamydia".

4. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Here in the UK, such a thing is known as a 'bum-bag', and wearing them went seriously out-of-fashion some time in the mid '90s.

In fact, the wearing of such an item will quite well mark you out to pickpockets as an ingorant American tourist and likely source of easy income.

Of course, here in the UK, we all wear top-hats and thick cloaks, to keep out the 'pea-souper' fog, as we stumble around on our cobbled gas-lit streets, offering quaint pleasantries such as "gor blimey guv'nor" and "strike a light". Our lady folk are plump and rosy-faced and usually to be found wearing an apron whilst polishing the grate with kettle-black.

4. jake Silver badge

Faggots, AKA "Savoury ducks" offensive?

The mind boggles.

Oink to tail, regardless of name, all things pork are tasty.

If you don't like ancient regional names for food, look within. You have issues.

1. ChrisM

Re: Faggots, AKA "Savoury ducks" offensive?

These things should be a source of amusement about the differences between us denizens of Sol 3 rather than offence... For example I would like to be a fly on the wall when someone tries to 'Bum a fag'!

You have however made me think of bacon and we have none in the house and THAT offends me!

1. markw:

"Bum a fag"

Or Burn a flag...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oink to tail, regardless of name, all things pork are tasty.

Pigs are stout,

Pigs are kind,

Pigs are seldom clean.

Snout before,

Tail behind,

And bacon in between.

-- Spike Milligan

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Faggots? Yuck!

Disgusting, revolting things. They are fit only for being fed into the sink waste disposal unit, one by one.

They are certainly not fit to be eaten.

Yes, I'm a Brit, not a cannibal. And no, I have no problems at all with the rights of the individual to freedom of sexual choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Faggots? Yuck!

You might be a Brit but the American way is clearly strong within you. HOW does eating pig turn you into a cannibal???

oh....sorry. Just answered my own question...come home. Your IQ needs recharging....

1. DAN*tastik

@cornz 1

before assuming that people have a low IQ, ask yourself twice if MAYBE it's just a case of irony or word play being lost on you.

1. Sunrise Omen
          FAIL

I think he was talking to himself. Were you?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The upvotes on my post and the down votes on your post seem to clearly validate my original point.

Are you an American??? Just that i see a pattern emerging here....

2. Paul_Murphy

>Your IQ needs recharging

Hmm, reminds me of:

' Prime Minister of New Zealand Robert Muldoon was asked about the increasing exodus of New Zealanders leaving the country to work in Australia. His comment was that by doing so, they were raising the average IQ of both countries.'

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_humour#The_Trans-Tasman_rivalry

2. Amorous Cowherder

Balls to you!

When I was a lad my Mum used to cook her own faggots, she'd often use the dripping from the previous day's roast to cook them, drop in a little bit of Bovril or Marmite and they were out of this world!

1. Getriebe

"Balls to you!

When I was a lad my Mum used to cook her own faggots, she'd often use the dripping from the previous day's roast to cook them, drop in a little bit of Bovril or Marmite and they were out of this world!

"

Marmite! Call child services now! She was abusing you.

3. Mephistro
      Happy

Re: Faggots? Yuck!(@ Thad)

There seems to be some humor -humour? hummer? - deficiency this Monday morning at ElReg. You should have kept that joke for Wednsday.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: humor -humour? hummer? - deficiency

Right you are. I'll pop back Wednesday then, if I've managed to wipe off the down votes by then. Pass me a rubber, I might need it.

Or, on Wednesday, as us Brits say.

Or, at least, as we have said in recent years: I've seen the "American" usage in English Victorian novels.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

Nope. Wednesday came and went

And they still don't like my sense of humour.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Nope. Wednesday came and went

Not in those shoes.

<barbie>Cross-pond humo(u)r is hard!</barbie>.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Faggot enablers!

Meeting Liberals!

Only Bad Things can come out of this.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like