back to article Facebook tests sinister CURSOR-TRACKING in hunt for more ad bucks

Facebook is reportedly looking at new methods of data mining that would silently track a user's actions on the free content ad network. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Mark Zuckerberg-run company is experimenting with technology that would monitor cursor movements on the site to track how individual users respond to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this is so yesterday

<joke> they need to be using user's webcams to track eyeball movement instead. this will be much better at determining where to shove their ads for max impact! </joke>

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

Re: this is so yesterday

Bugritt. Does that mean I've got to get a webcam now?

2. Prndll

Re: this is so yesterday

This is what phones actually do now.

2. Suburban Inmate

View 2 more comments

Noticed how you often have to click to see even just the first one or two comments on something? Blatant bit of interest tracking right there. Still, Zuck's sucked this titty almost dry and the young'uns are wising up to his shenanigans, as indicated by the slowing of signups.

Personally, I'd like to see TOR become the in thing for the kids. Wishful thinking I know.

3. ammabamma
    Devil

Track me via Javascript will you? *I'll give you something to track*

I wonder if I could write a little Greasemonkey script that will override their cursor tracking gubbins with my custom telemetry?

Look for the surprising discovery in FB's 2014 Q4 report that says users apparently use their mouse to draw pentagrams in the lower left corner of the screen...

4. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Joke

"free content ad network"

free of content, surely!

5. Sil

Let's hope the possibility to track mouse coords or any other tech to spy the user will soon be subjected to users authorizations in the same way they authorize or forbid access to localization information, tracking and such.

6. Martin H Watson

log the cat in....

Then let it play with the mouse.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like