back to article Last living NEANDERTHALS discovered in JERSEY – boffins

Archaeologists have rediscovered the lost home of the last Neanderthals on the south coast of Jersey, which shows evidence of the last cavemen to live in Northwest Europe. Neanderthal display in museum A team investigating an existing site at La Cotte de St Brelade cave on the southeastern coast of the island stumbled across …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. P. Lee

Re: "Last living NEANDERTHALS discovered in JERSEY – boffins"

or perhaps they were just people who didn't inter-marry much with other communities.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Yes, my fellow countrymen often miss that whole 'new' thing. I'm not sure why, but they don't seem to grasp that many of the place names in the North East are v2 of places in Europe. You'd think the 'new' would be a dead giveaway...

To be fair though, I did my graduate studies in New Jersey, and at first glance of the title I thought 'no shit there are living Neanderthals there. How is this a discovery, everyone knows that'.

2. Gannon (J.) Dick

First, yes I am Merkin, and yes I know the Channel Islands and yes I know the New Jersey Atlantic Beach Communities and no I never watched the show.

Second, with all this talk about extinction and interbreeding, please don't mention Washington, DC. For the Republican Party the meaning of "extinction" is understood well enough and "interbreeding" sounds too much like "inbreeding" to the right wingnuts.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

@ItsNotMe

Don't be insulting and condescending...

Jersey--One of the Channel Islands. The last remnant of William the Conqueror's Norman fiefdom, these islands are a British territory located just west of Cherbourg and the Contentin Peninsula in France. They were the only British territory conquered by the Nazis in WW2, having amusingly surrendered to a lost Luftwaffe pilot who crash-landed on the islands. Most famous today for being an international tax haven.

Written from memory, and yes, I am American.

1. Farnet

Re: @ItsNotMe

Interesting as your comments are, you are slightly out regrading WWII

I dont know where you got this idea regarding a Luftwaffe pilot?!? the reality of it is this:

Winston Churchill, decided to demiliterise the channel islands and forgot to tell the German that. Germany sent two squadrons of bomber over the islands and mistook lorries carrying tomatos as troop carries in Guernsey harbour and proceeded to bomb the crap out to both islands and 44 civilians lost their lives. Germany invaded the Islands en-masse and the rest as we say is 'history'.

A lot of locals were shot (or sent to concentration camps) for resisting the Nazis on the island during the occupation, and this is even in the event that they knew that they had been left out to dry by the allies. and no help ever came, the Islanders still did what they could to fight the occupation.

So get your facts right.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I left my Austin Champ parked up in Ouaisné Bay in 1974 and have never been back. Do you think it will be fossilized by now?

Petrol was 30p a gallon and local beer 11p a pint, those were the days.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

I left a car once, and I often wonder what ever became of it. Left the keys in it hoping that whoever found it would destroy it trying to steal it.

Plus I thought it would be really confusing to someone. After they discovered it, how long did it take before they took it. Did they agonize over it being a trick of some sort? Probably not, but I like to think so.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Unhappy

I just had a look at Ouaisné on Street View, there's no sign of an Austin Champ, sorry.

2. Stevie

Bah!

"...understand when Neanderthal populations disappeared form the region"

About ten years after it was discovered that they taste delicious with chips would be my guess.

3. The Dude
    Flame

we are the last living neandethals

If, as recent research indicates, Neanderthals intermarried with immigrants, and the resulting children are our ancestors - then we are the last remaining Neanderthals.

personally, I don't see anything wrong with that and the irrational prejudice that that Neanderthals were somehow inferior to the immigrants is simply a 19th century conceit.

This whole species-ism arrogance thing about Neanderthals really annoys me.

1. Stevie

Re: personally, I don't see anything wrong with that

Stinkin' Neanderthal lover!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At first glance I thought it said "New Jersey"

And I thought, "so they discovered this by watching Jersey Shore reruns"? I guess they thought the fist pumping was some sort of Neanderthal tribal dance.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last living ones?

I'm pretty sure that the creatures inhabiting 10 Downing Street are direct descendants of Neanderthals, given their primordial nature...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

The Neanderthals have moved to British city centers...

Naturally shy, nowadays they mostly seem to come out on Friday and Saturday nights

7. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"Last" and other unprovable negatives

Paleoanthropologists are the 'C' students of logic and statistics.

They confuse oldest or newest 'found so far' with first and last. And frankly they're too thick to realize how stupid their claims are.

8. Jim Birch

That guy is very clean and his furs freshly laundered. We are going backwards.

9. Rustident Spaceniak
    Boffin

Err, last Neanderthals?

I says in the article that these sediments are 47.000 years old, but weren't the remains found in the actual Neanderthal from around 42.000 BC? That would seem to be later.

10. Jtom

One more thing....

They may have lived thousands of years ago, but they are registered as Democrats and still vote.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.