back to article Billionaire vows to turn 007's Lotus Esprit into actual submarine car

The anonymous buyer of the Lotus Esprit submarine car from the James Bond flick The Spy Who Loved Me has turned out to be none other than billionaire inventor Elon Musk. The white car made famous in Roger Moore's Bond film was sold at auction in the UK last month for £550,000. As is typical of most auctions, the identity of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Billionaire Musk. The new fragrance from [insert name of pretentious tosser]

1. ratfox
      WTF?

Meh

Today I learned there is such a thing as Angry Bird perfume, so…

1. Lars Silver badge
        Pirate

Re: Meh

So.. it will help you to avoid angry birds.

2. Myvekk

A submarine that can fly? You are thinking of the Sky 1, then...

Thank you Gerry & Sylvia Anderson.

1. MJI Silver badge

I used to like the flying sub

in Voyage to the bottom of the sea

3. Rustident Spaceniak
    Mushroom

That's it, one project too many.

The guy is getting as hyperbolic as Mr Stromberg himself. Sure he can pull off many things, or have them pulled off for him; but there's a limit to what even the most wacky genius can handle. Watch him peaking.

4. phil 27
    Go

The esprit is just a fibreglass cover over a X form frame, pretty adaptable for projects like this.

Making the body watertight and strengthening it to cope with the pressures is do-able for a man of his resources, and sealing up the drivetrain also.

The layout of the esprit lends itself to this too, its rear/mid engine means adapting a different transaxle that can be sealed is easier, and plenty of battery root around the engine bay to replace the exploding super leaky petrol tanks. As for damaging a icon, pass me the hacksaw, I'll make the first cuts for you :)

I owned a fire damaged esprit for 3 days after a cheeky £25 ebay bid won it, I bought it for the adaptable running gear (which I still have, underneath my nova kitcar bodyshell with a rover v8 and renault un1 transaxle), and we were amazed at how easy it was to detach the shell complete, which I'd sold on to a lotus dealer covering all of my costs to purchase the car with.

All power to mr musk, I wish I had the resources to play with interesting stuff like he does.

5. Idocrase

Okay, someone persuade this guy to buy a DeLorean already. I call dibs on the first hoverboard he brings back with him.

6. punk4evr

Buy STEAM/Valve Please.

I think he should buy up Steam/Valve and Finally get the bastards to release half life 3!!!.

While he's at it, he can work on manufacturing some holographic satellites that can project the 3d images anywhere. Oh, this would also be awesome for mmorpg's! And exclusive access to steampowered to run the holo 3d games?

Ok I outed my idea. Need to make that work, I have ideas on that also.

But yea, well, theres always the idea of buying up the game platform and perhaps a oh, 3d video card company, and creating a market to buy into.

But hay, i'm just going on now.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like