back to article Be prepared... to give heathens a badge: UK Scouts open doors to unbelievers

From next year, British atheists and their offspring will be able to join the Scouting movement without having to lie or breach their Scout's honour, thanks to an amended promise. All Scouts, and Scout leaders, are required to make the promise. The words vary with age group, and alternatives exist for different religions, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Byz

Re: @Khaptain

"almost all wars are based on religion"

First world war - nope

Second world war - nope

Crimea war - nope

Boer war - nope

Napoleonic Wars - nope

American war of independence - nope

Vietnam war - nope

Korean war - nope

Hundred year war - nope

Franco-prussian war - nope

Indian wars of conquest by the British - nope

The opium war - nope

Roman civil wars - nope

Punic wars - nope

Greco-Persian Wars - nope

Peloponnesian War - nope

...etc

Most wars are caused by grabbing other resources or taking out another power (as with Rome and Carthage).

Also the casualty rate of non-religious wars is far higher as they have been carried out in the industrial age, so there is an industrial rate of killing plus civilians die as well.

Often religion is used as a pretext but that is politicians being cynical to get people on side. Stalin did this in the second world war by re-opening churches, as soon as the war was ended he shut and demolished them.

Unfortunately if you do some digging through history you find out that statements such as "almost all wars are based on religion" don't stand up to scrutiny - nice soundbite but it's an urban myth, so please don't perpetuate it as it is just brain washing.

1. Tom 38

Re: @Khaptain

Most wars might not be about religion, but the winners of wars invariably assert their religion over the vanquished. Its not two armies having a go at each other, but "plague of the firstborn" is pretty religious.

BTW, lots of your "non religious wars" have strong religious elements. The Korean war was between the largely Christian, western backed south, and the largely irreligious/personality cult north, where Christians are persecuted.

Rome and Carthage fought many wars, the later ones involving the Vandal Kingdom of Carthage and Rome where largely fought over the Arian Christian Vandals oppressing the Roman Catholic locals. The whole of Roman Africa and the Levant were overran with the Muslim expansion, a strongly religious war.

Muslims and Christians have been fighting over the Balkans and Eastern Europe for hundreds of years. Ottomans go forward, they go back ,they go forward.

Face it, since man could think he has been justifying killing other people because their sky fairies aren't his sky fairies. The justification for going and taking your neighbours stuff is not that it you want it, it's that you want it and he isn't of your (religious) tribe.

1. PyLETS

@Khaptain: Re: It's a good start.

You do your faith position no favours by insulting the honestly and intelligently held positions of those you disagree with. Christianity or Islam are not synonymous with creationism, though the almost illiterate approach to selective quoting adopted by both Evangelical Atheists and fundies to justify their positions is much the same. As to belief in the 'Sky Fairy' your position can just as easily and offensively be classified as a 'New Testament conspiracy theorist' or 'Koran denialist', lumping yours together with the moon landing conspiracy theorists and AGW denialists who reject out of hand their own chosen and disliked bodies of evidence because it disagrees with their prejudices. I don't doubt that some atheists have sincerely held and considered views - but that position isn't exclusive to atheism and I'm glad the Scout movement is recognising the legitimacy of other faith positions.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Khaptain: It's a good start.

"intelligently held positions"

Just LOL. Belief in religion in the 21st century is simply a demonstration of backwards cultural influences, and / or gullibility and weak mindedness.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a good start.

"Anyone that swears to a "deity" begins his career with a lie"

You can prove God doesn't exist? Wow! All this arguing over nothing. Who are you, eminent genius? The worl must be told!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a good start.

"You can prove God doesn't exist?"

One doesn't have to prove that god doesn't exist, it's up to the *THEIST TO PROVE* that God exists.

Of course the atheist can easily start poking holes in the "god" thing. Beginning with the fact that the Christian god is illogical. "God is omniscient" - "God is omnipotent". So can their god commit and act which it can't know about? Whichever way to answer it, one of the preceding claims is invalidated.

If people stopped worrying so much about currying favour in the (almost certainly non-existent) after-life and getting on with fixing this life by helping each other; the world would be a much, MUCH better place.

But no - they'd rather shoot schoolgirls in the face or rape young boys. Go figure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Slippery slope.

Next they will be swearing allegiance to the Xfactor.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They should have stayed Christian only at least in principle - it kept out the riff raff.

Recent imports can join the Jihad corps, etc. where they will likely feel more at home:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/7121945/Police-warn-of-Jihad-training-for-children.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice to see them catch up with the girls

The scouts have done it differently.

The scouts have different promises for different groups so Christians, Muslims...etc each have a different promise.

The Guides have gone for a blanket ban on God.

Given that the last Census shows that 59% of the country is Christian, the Guides have gone for a policy where the minority imposes its will upon the majority, the Scouts have been truly inclusive.

Don't forget that agnosticism is honest because it says "we don't know if there is a God or if there isn't".

Atheism is a religion thats core tenet is that "There is no God" this is a belief as it cannot be scientifically proved.

Atheist have recently started setting up churches (type in "Atheist Church" in google you'll find tons).

The scouts are allowing all religious beliefs, the Guides have come down on the side of one religion that cannot tolerate any other belief but their own (Atheism).

WELL DONE THE SCOUTS :)

PS I have a physics degree and one of my teachers used to say "Physics is about 'How' not 'Why' if you want to know 'Why' go and ask a Philosopher or Theologian" i.e. Physics does not prove or disprove God taking either position is a belief system like it or not :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

--"Atheism is a religion thats core tenet is that "There is no God" this is a belief as it cannot be scientifically proved."--

As Ricky Gervais once said, saying that not believing in God is a religion is like saying that not skiing is a hobby. "Actually it's my favourite hobby, I do it everyday".

Not believing in something for which there is no evidence, and believing in something for which there is no evidence.... please don't try to pretend these are equivalent. They are not.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ricky Gervais is a comedian though, hardly one of the world's greatest theologians or philosophers. Great for knock around comments, but hardly going to be on the level of someone who actually studied the subject, let alone excels in it.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
            FAIL

Sounds a lot like the Courtier's Reply (i.e. telling a non-believer that he should study theology before he can properly discuss whether a god exists is like telling the child in the fable to study haute couture before he can properly discuss whether the Emperor is naked.)

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Courtier%27s_Reply

2. DPWDC

"Ricky Gervais is a comedian though"

And I'm a programmer, I can also drive a car, walk, talk, watch TV and cook!

Amazing eh?

Stop pigeon holing people!

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            FAIL

"Ricky Gervais is a comedian though"

...and Brian Cox OBE is just some drummer.

...and Brian May CBE is just some guitarist.

Even Dara Ó Briain, a comedian, seems to have a decent grasp of science.

(He attended University College Dublin (UCD), where he studied mathematics and theoretical physics.)

Now, having made an attempt to adjust your preconceptions for you, let's have a look at Ricky Gervais.

Excert from Wikipedia: "moved on to University College London in 1980.[13] He arrived to study biology but changed to philosophy after only two weeks,[14] and earned an upper second-class honours degree in the subject"

So, an upper second in Philosophy? That probably gives him a little more credibility to comment on religion than your average ElReg commentard.

2. paulll

"--"Atheism is a religion thats core tenet is that "There is no God" this is a belief as it cannot be scientifically proved."--"

B.S. To believe that god does not exist based on the abject lack of evidence for his existence requires no more a leap of faith than to believe that Mongolia exists having never been there.

2. Raumkraut

> Atheism is a religion thats core tenet is that "There is no God" this is a belief as it cannot be scientifically proved.

No, I'd argue that "Atheism" is no more a religion than "Theism" or "Deism" are. It is certainly a belief, but "religion" implies a level of organisation, custom and dogma.

> The scouts are allowing all religious beliefs, the Guides have come down on the side of one religion that cannot tolerate any other belief but their own (Atheism).

What? You mean Guides swear an oath that there is no God or gods? I suspect not. I was under the impression that they just didn't mention religion - just as the Scouts are planning to do.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This discussion really has attracted a swarm of idiots, hasn't it?

Atheism is not a religion for exactly the same reason that theism is not a religion: there are lots of different beliefs and practices compatible both with believing and with not believing in the existence of a god.

It is possible to be a religious atheist by belonging to an atheistic religion, such as some forms of Buddhism.

It is possible to be a theist without being belonging to a religion: despite what some people might claim, a belief that there is some kind of god doesn't make you a Christian even if you hold that belief while living in a traditionally Christian country. In the UK a huge number of people belong to this "non-religious theist" category; there may be more of them than real Christians though it's hard to tell as some of them will, in some circumstances, call themselves Christians despite never going to church and knowing bugger all about Christian doctrine.

3. Corinne

"...the Guides have gone for a policy where the minority imposes its will upon the majority, the Scouts have been truly inclusive"

Try looking at it from a different direction. Not referencing any god at all isn't imposing their will on others, it just means they don't care what god (if any) you believe in. I can virtually guarantee that however many different versions of the scout vow there may be, someone somewhere will be excluded as they will have missed some minor religious sect. And who decides what the "valid" religions are that they will have a version of the vow for?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

idiot.

It is an absence of belief.

What you are saying makes as much sence as adding cold or degrees kelvin

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It is an absence of belief."

No, that would be Nehilism.

5. Piro Silver badge

Incorrect. The word "Atheism" just like "Asexual" is simply two words mushed together.

The word literally and ONLY means lack of theism. It has no other meaning or connotation.

It cannot be a religion. That would be literally exactly the same as saying because you don't believe in purple monsters that live under your bed, you are an anti-purple monster fanatic.

Simply not true. You simply don't believe in them because there is no reason to do so.

1. Anomalous Cowshed

Re: Atheism is not a religion

It depends on your definition of 'religion'

If religion is belief in a god or in something else that 'doesn't exist' or whose existence cannot be proven scientifically, then atheism is not a religion, it is more a denial of the legitimacy of religion.

If on the other hand, 'religion' is a belief in anything in particular to an extent which transcends the bounds of rationality, then fervent atheism can indeed be considered a 'religion'. I suppose it depends on the person and the extent of their conviction or obsession.

You will note that as people become more 'rational', there are many other things that appear to be taking the place of traditional religions, some of which are quite strange: global warming; Apple the company, etc. But the anger with which some people defend their position on these matters surely causes them to become a virtual religion...to the people in question.

A better test of religion is this: whether your belief allows for the possibility and legitimacy of contrary views and opinions.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Atheism is not a religion

> If on the other hand, 'religion' is a belief in anything in particular to an extent which transcends the bounds of rationality, then fervent atheism can indeed be considered a 'religion'. I suppose it depends on the person and the extent of their conviction or obsession.

No, atheism is an absence of belief in theism. It says nothing about them.

Atheists can be rude, or not.

Atheists can be funny, or not.

It really has nothing to say about people other than they are not theists.

6. Phil Lord

You have a total misunderstanding of the difference between agnostic and atheist. Agnosticism is the belief that the existence of God is fundamentally unknowable; it was largely invented by Thomas Henry Huxley. Probably because at the time, atheism was considered equivalent to satanism, and liable to get you in deep trouble.

An atheist can be absolutely sure that there is no god, or think that there probably isn't one, or just vaguely inclined to believe that there isn't one. It's not a religion because it lacks all the characteristics of one; the idea that anything that cannot be scientifically proven is a religion is silly. You cannot prove that there is not a invisible pink elephant sitting behind you at the moment, nor the non-existence of the Lock Ness monster. Do you consider you believe in the absence of the elephant to be a religion? I think God doesn't exist for the similar reasons -- first no one can make up their mind what "god" means anyway and second there is little evidence. Call this belief if you will, but it's belief in the same way that I believe the sun will rise tomorrow.

Finally, 59% Christian is really not the same thing as saying 59% believe in the Christian god; the census doesn't define what is meant by "Christian". As the old Northern Ireland gag goes "but are you a catholic atheist, or a protestant atheist".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You cannot prove that there is not a invisible pink elephant sitting behind you at the moment, nor the non-existence of the Lock Ness monster."

I think you're getting your invisible entities confused;

For the purposes of religious debate it should be invisible purple unicorns... pink elephants are more usually associated with drinking to excess.

Although, on second thoughts, you could be right that the person you were replying to had perhaps been over-indulging on the communion wine!

1. Euripides Pants
            Coat

"pink elephants are more usually associated with drinking to excess"

Yes, which is why I believe in spirits - I purchase them at the liquor store....

Mine's the one with the Sterno in the pocket.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Phil. Too true. And more. At high school (in Manchester) I got asked was I a protestant or a Catholic.

When I said I was Jewish ( and I didn't even know the difference between Catholics or Protestants at that age) I got asked whether I was Catholic Jewish or. Protestant Jewish.

So it ain't just an old Northern Ireland gag: It's also an old Northern Engand fact.

7. Jonathon Green

"The Guides have gone for a blanket ban on God...

[...]

"The scouts are allowing all religious beliefs, the Guides have come down on the side of one religion that cannot tolerate any other belief but their own (Atheism).

To leap from the Girl Guides having an initiation ceremony which don't directly reference religion to an institutionalized intolerance of religion on their part is a feat of logical gymnastics which both impresses and terrifies me.

If you have any evidence of the GG excluding anyone on the grounds of religious faith then there are any number of newspapers who'd be delighted to hear from you as I imagine would various statutory bodies - if you've got it then it's your public duty to produce it, if you haven't then it's my public duty to point at you and laugh...

8. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The scouts have different promises for different groups so Christians, Muslims...etc each have a different promise."

And there is the problem. They don't need any promise to any mythical being. May as well promise to Harry Potter!

Also, it is perfectly possible to be "Agnostic Atheist" right through to "Anti-theist". Atheism is not a religion, it's basing a decision based of the evidence to hand. I can't prove there isn't a teapot in orbit around Mars, but I am not agnostic on the matter.

Without brain-washing, atheism is the default position of any educated person. And by "educated" I mean actually educated with and understanding of critical thought and the scientific method.

1. David Barrett

"Without brain-washing, atheism is the default position of any educated person. And by "educated" I mean actually educated with and understanding of critical thought and the scientific method."

Id argue that its the default position for EVERYONE not just the educated - whether you remain atheist depends on your upbringing, there has never been a religious baby born (to my knowledge).

9. albaleo

Painting agnostics as wishy-washy

'Don't forget that agnosticism is honest because it says "we don't know if there is a God or if there isn't".'

That's a wishy-washy interpretation of agnosticism. A better interpretation of agnosticism would be, 'I see no solid evidence for a god so I don't believe in one.'

The 'don't know' part of agnosticism doesn't mean it's a 50-50 thing. I don't know for sure that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow, but evidence and reason tells me it will.

10. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"....the Guides have gone for a policy where the minority imposes its will upon the majority,"

Er No! Making someone do something is imposing your will.

By not doing something they aren't imposing anything on anyone.

No one is preventng any Girl Guide or boy Scout making a promise to God. Just not as a compulsory part of the Promise

Apart from which, the 59% Christian figure isn't actually referring to active belief, but purely identity. How many of these 59% ever set foot in a church? And It was the parents who were asked, not the kids.

In fact the promise only ever referred to God, not just the Christian god, anyway,

11. Dave Bell

I think you misunderstand the difference between not swearing by a God and swearing against a God.

In any case, as disputes over infant and adult baptism show, one might question whether a particular child understands an oath or affirmation, without challenging the existence of a God.

What I see is something God-neutral. The new phrase for Guiding is "To be true to myself and develop my beliefs," and I just cannot see how that can be claimed to be a denial of any God. It covers those who believe in a God and, coupled with the rest of the Promise, covers both what and why somebody makes the choices they do.

12. David Barrett

"Atheism is a religion thats core tenet is that "There is no God" this is a belief as it cannot be scientifically proved."

"Atheism is a religion..."

And that's where you lost your credibility I'm afraid.

13. heyrick Silver badge

"Given that the last Census shows that 59% of the country is Christian"

I was raised CofE. I very much DO NOT believe, and after debacle following debacle, I don't want to know.

However, that is the box that I tick as there is nothing else that comes close to describing what I think, and the other categories apply even less.

Before you say that so many people are Christian, let's start with - how many actually go to church?

1. fuzzyfelt

Re: Nice to see them catch up with the girls @heyrick

"I was raised CofE. I very much DO NOT believe, and after debacle following debacle, I don't want to know.

However, that is the box that I tick as there is nothing else that comes close to describing what I think, and the other categories apply even less.

Before you say that so many people are Christian, let's start with - how many actually go to church?"

@heyrick, if you don't believe that Jesus is the son of God and that he rose from the dead for your sins then you're not a Christian. I'm sorry to break it to you like this ;)

By ticking the Christian box in surveys and censuses, you're sustaining the debacles by giving them support and credibility. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure under what conditions you'd need to identify as Christian over admitting that you're an agnostic atheist/weak atheist/5 or 6 on the Dawkins scale. Or perhaps you're a deist or polytheist, but this still means you're not a Christian.

Censuses are often used by policy makers, both locally and nationally to justify policy or allocate resources. The tick in the Christian box, ultimately supports Christian and religious privilege, such as the unproportional representation of Bishops in the House of Lords, or the justification to close large shops on Sundays.

14. rh587

"The scouts are allowing all religious beliefs, the Guides have come down on the side of one religion that cannot tolerate any other belief but their own (Atheism)."

The Guides are not atheist, they're secular. There is not-so-subtle difference and it's kind of important you understand it if you want to contribute sensibly to such discussions!

The Brownie/Guide promise reads thusly:

I promise that I will do my best;

To be true to myself and develop my beliefs,

To serve the Queen and my community,

To help other people and

To keep the (Brownie) Guide Law.

Not including overtly religious statements in a promise does not imply Atheism. If I run a community youth scheme that does not involve the local church that doesn't make it an atheist scheme, it just doesn't happen to involve religion - not everything has to!

The Guides aren't swearing off religion and making declarations of atheism, they just decided not to swear a promise to God (and then have to provide alternatives to whatever God is called in your particular book). That doesn't make it atheistic. Secular, but not atheist.

That said, well done the Scouts. Now people like me don't have to lie during their leader interview.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> If I run a community youth scheme that does not involve the local church that doesn't make it an atheist scheme, it just doesn't happen to involve religion - not everything has to!

I think that this is the key point. Christians in the UK have, for so long, been used to their religion being an integrated aspect to all aspects of life.

To see so many parts of daily life just not caring one way or the other about their religion seems to them like being stabbed in the back.

To all the Christians out there: please believe what you bloody well like. We just don't really care. Keep your religion to yourself. We're just not interested.

2. Christopher Blackmore

Leader interview

Have they actually changed the strict rule they had for leaders? That kept me from volunteering a couple of years back.

1. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Leader interview

I suspect that was down to the pack or troop, my interview consisted of being in the hall on the right day so it obviously varies.

I did have to promise to a god though, which almost put me off and is why I was so interested in reporting this story.

Bill.

aka Baloo, Balintore 1st (I wanted to be a wolf, I got comedy bear)

15. I am the liquor

Anonymous Coward @07:23 is of course correct that atheism and religion are more or less the same.

It has been estimated that there are 3000 distinct religions being practised on this planet. The atheist believes that all 3000 of them are wrong. The religious person believes that 2999 of them are wrong. The beliefs of the religious person and the atheist are identical to 3 places of decimals.

16. grammarpolice

[quote]Given that the last Census shows that 59% of the country is Christian[/quote]

...given a census with the following multiple guess options:

1. Christian good next door neighbour

2. Mujahideen terrorist*

3. Om chanting unwashed hippy*

4. Atheism is not a religion, we'll just put you down as Christian

5. Something else*

*by selecting this option you give permission for jackbooted police to kick down your door

17. Rick Leeming

Most people I know who identify as "Christian" do so by default, and have been in church less than I have in the past 10 years. I'm politely described as "Apostate Catholic", or Atheist. Al

As for removing Relgion totally, that's rubbish. They changed "Love My God" to "to be true to myself and develop my beliefs". Which allows ALL religions or none depending on the person. It's far more inclusive than before, and it IS about time the scouts caught up.

Also as you skirted round, Science cannot prove something doesn't exist. In fact scientists will tell you they can't prove anything beyond doubt. I don't think god exists, because I've seen no proof. I can however look at the evidence for the theories of Evolution and The Big Bang and say that is a fact. I mean, Gravity is only a theory, and nobody argues with that.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Think Guides only changed their promise about a year or so ago. As for catching up ... Scouting has been open to boys and girls for at least a decade whereas Guides still maintain a segregated girls-only stance .... and this does cause problems in areas where Scout groups are over-subscribed where boys can't get places but some girls are in both Scouts and Guides (and as Scouts and Guides are seperate organisations Scoutings equalities stance means you can't refuse a girl a place because she's already in guides)

Anyway, as a Scout Leader, I'm fairly happy with the way Scouting has done this ... its just another of the multitude of different promise options for people who have problems with the standard one and given that some sense of "spirituality" is still one of the core Scout values then to some extent the new promise doesn't change all the much. And in reality I'd assume virtually everyone will continue to use the standard promise.

4. Terry 6 Silver badge

Yes, you got there before me.

My daughters ( a Guides Young Leader and Patrol Leader respectively) thought the fuss about the Scouts was laughable.

They dropped the God bit ages ago.

1. Grogan Silver badge

That's like in court, they make us swear on the Bible. (I'm in Canada... I don't know if they do that in the U.K.) It's only symbolic, but to me, that's utterly ridiculous. Do they mean, I'm going to Hell if I lie to the court? Wow, I'm so afraid. A pompous ass wearing a wig not only wields the power to have me clapped in irons, but he just condemned me to eternal damnation. Reminds me of the church. But you just have to accept it, for its neither the time nor place.

If they said something as simple as "you swear on your honour" that would mean more to me than a book, or threats of perjury. (Don't get me wrong... it's not that I would never lie, if I had to, I'd just feel more guilty about it lol. It doesn't feel good to lie, but show me a man who says they'd never do it under any circumstances and I'll either show you a liar or a fool)

But any atheist should know that sometimes you just have to accept some customary speech that's derived from religion. So something like "God" in a pledge can be taken with a grain of salt. The real act of pledging should be on your honour. You'd have to be some kind of an asshole not to celebrate Christmas in some way if you have children growing up in our societies too.

I'm an atheist and I very much dislike religion, but I try not to be one of those people who need to get over themselves and I try to tolerate the customs of others when it does not impose on me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Swearing on your honour, when up in front of the court, you don't see a potential problem?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The potential problem is that people who believe in the bible aren't allowed to swear on it - it says so in the bible.

2. Richard 26

"That's like in court, they make us swear on the Bible. (I'm in Canada... I don't know if they do that in the U.K.)"

Not since 1695, according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmation_in_law

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You'd have to be some kind of an asshole not to celebrate Christmas in some way if you have children growing up in our societies too."

Christmas and Easter are a set of customs of the northern latitudes that mostly go back long before Christianity. It was important to our ancient ancestors to anticipate seasonal changes. The Winter Solstice was therefore an important marker meriting a celebration of the prospect of Spring and the return of fertility to the land.

Christianity itself is largely founded on the earlier myths of sun worship. They appropriated existing Pagan seasonal festivals and temples. The archaeology of Banias in the Middle East is a typical catalogue of such changes.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like