back to article OK, forget the 3D telly fiasco: 4K is gonna blow you away - say tech giants

We have mixed opinions regarding the merits of 4K TV viewing here at El Reg. It's something that we have covered in scientific detail. In short, the 4,000-plus-pixel resolution looks great for still images, but misses the point for moving pictures. Reality check aside, that hasn’t stopped world+dog at this year's IFA trade …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Wheaty73

Re: You are looking at it wrong

Not sure why you think 1080p content is worth concentrating on - not everything is a movie. We have multiple screens now and cope quite well.

Have you never watched picture in picture on a normal TV???

1. Martin

Re: You are looking at it wrong

"Not sure why you think 1080p content is worth concentrating on - not everything is a movie. We have multiple screens now and cope quite well."

Precisely. So we don't need super-mega-hi-def for multiple screens.

"Have you never watched picture in picture on a normal TV?"

Hardly ever. I find it damn irritating on the TIVO when I'm trying to program something and some rubbish I don't want to watch is twittering away in the top-right of the screen, and I can't switch it off. - and taking up space which could be better used by the menu app.

1. envmod

4K is old hat

it's all about 16K resolution for me.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: 4K is old hat

16K? You're havin' a laugh. You need to get the 48K model to play Manic Miner....

2. GeorgeTuk

Still loving my Toshiba...

...with 720p HD.

Got it about 8 years ago and it still works just fine, a good all rounder. I have always found watching 3D and massive films at cinemas that after about 10 mins I forget it's all 3D and massive and stuff (bar Prometheus and Pacific Rim).

It just doesn't interest me I don't think. Maybe because I don't watch big action movies that often.

1. Abot13

Re: Still loving my Toshiba...

i have a 720P Samsung about the same age, hope that will keep going at least another 2 years then jump to 4K when the prices are reasonable and make the samsung the bedroom TV

3. Sil

Tiny screens

These 110" screen are way too small and too cheap.

I won't buy a luxury tv until I need to destroy a wall to be able to bring it in the house.

4. jason 7

Will they make a 32" version?

I personally think they got the current HD resolutions all wrong.

At worst it should have been 720p for standard broadcast TV and 1440p for Bluray. Lets dump the interlace stuff.

That way it would be a simple clean 100% upscale/downscale depending on what TV you bought or what you wanted to watch.

I currently have a 540p resolution TV (Sharp Perfect PAL) and 1080p stuff downscaled looks great on it. People often say what a great solid detailed picture it has.

Decent picture for day to day use and streaming and ultimate effect for Bluray movie watching at home.

Plus the 1440p would have helped with the larger screens that we now have. I would imagine 1080p's pixel density starts to wane over 45".

Plus it would have made PC monitors better to use if we had 1440p as standard.

5. AndrueC Silver badge

Screw that. How about a reasonably priced sensibly sized OLED unit? Or is that the real reason behind this push - the manufacturers can't get the price down so they want to fool us into buying a bigger size to make up for their failings.

1. Abot13

most OLED screens come out of the production line bend, why else are there so many not flat screens for sale?

6. TakeTheSkyRoad

PC Monitor

I think if I had the cash for a huge 50" 4K TV the first thing I'd do is try it as a PC monitor :)

Plenty of desk space on a big screen means I can play FF14 (or pick your game, Civ 5 ?) in windowed mode and still have space to say surf the net. Especially important for games which are big and complex enough to need guides to make them easily playable.

Hell, I could even have the PC loaded and use picture in picture to have the news showing in a box in the corner.

Of course my work RDP session wouldn't be full screen but I could live with that.

7. Dropper

Early Adoption

These prices are largely irrelevant to most of us. Even in the US your average viewer won't be seeing one of these until the prices fall to the sub $2000 range. These are for movie stars, sports stars, oil tycoons, the kind of people that carry $50,000 rolled up in an elastic band and blow the lot in Vegas in an hour. The TV I own cost $5000 at some point, or at least a version of it did. I bought it for $1000. I skipped 3D like the rest of you because it's a pointless gimmick, but 4K would be worth upgrading to once the 50" price falls within my budget. I figure the same is true for you guys in England, once 4K is realistic to own, you'll want it too.

As for 8K, my guess is economics killed this one, although I find it strange because usually a leap forward in technology usually brings a difference in quality that blows the previous generation away. Progressive scan TVs with their VGA like resolution jumped to 1080p and I expected a similar move with the next generation of HD TVs.

8. M Gale

4k revolution? Bring it on!

So that 1080p and 1200 screens drop to a sane price.

Who knows? Maybe when this old 19" CRT from 1999 finally gives up the ghost, I might actually buy one. So possibly in a decade or two, when it becomes impossible to get an SVGA adapter or the tube fades to unreadability.

What, using something until it wears out? I know, how unfashionable!

9. dreddric

Pointless!

4K is pointless, unless you want an oversized and overpriced digital photo frame!

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Too small

> an oversized and overpriced digital photo frame

Wouldn't be any use.

A quick calculation shows that a 16:9 "4K" (i.e. 4,000 horizontal pixels) screen would only have a resolution of a piffling 9 MPix. Anyone who's willing to splurge the cost of this on a screen will certainly have a state of the art digital camera (or even phone) that has a far, far higher resolution than this screen could ever display.

1. insanelysane

Re: Too small

That's true but at most viewing distances with 4K the acuity of the eye becomes the limiting factor. 9 MP is plenty for photo display.

10. Mike Bell

For anyone who thinks a 4K screen would be any use in their house...

Check out the following graphic.

Resolution Chart

Going to be sitting less than 6 feet from your swanky new 110 inch display, are you?

1. Stuart Halliday

Re: For anyone who thinks a 4K screen would be any use in their house...

Something wrong somewhere. Viewers are noticing a 50" 4K TV at 6" away looks much sharper and more detail than HD.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: For anyone who thinks a 4K screen would be any use in their house...

Huh. My parlor's small enough that I might actually notice the difference between 480p and 780p. Not that I care.

11. Mike Flugennock
    FAIL

Never mind decent 4K content...

...it's be nice to have decent content, period. I won't speak for the UK, but here in the Colonies it's pretty much wall-to-wall cookie-cutter reality shows as far as the eye can see, aside from the worse-than-worthless noise channels... uhh, news channels -- and the wife and I just can't see throwing down that stonking pile of cash for a TV set the size of Colorado just so she can watch Gordon Ramsay reaming out some failing restauranteur in glorious 4K.

Luckily, most of what I enjoy, like Arrested Development and MST3K, doesn't require useless gobs of resolution. They're still great shows no matter what you watch them on.

12. Tom 7

The only improved coverage this will encourage

is finer and smoother foundation from some mockboratory somewhere for the orange people.

13. This Side Up

message for logging-in purposes only. Other login pages have browser compatibility issues.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

trying to persuade us

don't blame them, they can't help it, it's in their blood, it's stronger than their will (if that will hadn't been burnt out long by that time), etc. etc. If it's not another f... smart watch, it'll be a 4K television, or a beam me up pocket teleporter. All indispensably essential enhancements of our lives. Click / blink / think here to pay now and get 10% off your next purchase. And... it works.

15. Oddb0d
    Facepalm

...Philips with its 65PFL9708 65-incher LED TV featuring a 900MHz motion rate...

Wow talk about well ahead of the competition.

16. Stuart Halliday
    WTF?

Just jump to 8K?

With the Japanese giants already talking about 8K TV, why are we even bothering with 4K?

17. Dick Emery

Seen it. Looked great.

Well I saw an 84" 4K TV at Selfridges. Looked great. Except it was shitty LED backlit LCD.

I would much prefer faster framerates/refresh rates and OLED (if they can fix longevity and image retention issues).

How else are we going to view The Hobbit in 48FPS?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Seen it. Looked great.

How else are we going to view The Hobbit in 48FPS?

I can do that now, but I can't read the text when I flip the pages that quickly.

18. 080

4k is just another fad that will become irrelevant quite soon just like 3D. I didn't realise why HD could look so good(still) and so bad(moving) and then I read the Reg article about frame rates and blurring to stop flicker, so now I see no point in buying a new TV until the frame rate is improved, but then the crap content on the majority of broadcast TV will have to improve hugely to persuade me to part with any cash.

1. insanelysane

Frame rate is not the issue at all - it is compression. Most so-called HD TV channels are so compressed and have so much detail destroyed that a pure 480p image would actually be clearer.

19. godanov

I have the money and need a big tv.

Will NOT be buying, this is ripoff, worse than 3d or plasma

20. Hans 1

Hook it up to my computer ... that is why I want one ... but divide the price by 10 and I might think about it ... ;-)

21. Chris Parsons

There is always something better to do than watch TV...

...no matter how big the screen is, dross will still be dross.

22. insanelysane

"900MHz motion rate"?

I'm looking forward to 4K because I see lots of artefacts in HD so it would be nice to see the end of that, but even more because I would like to use it to display photos properly. I hope it soon becomes a computer/laptop monitor standard too.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.