back to article Kim Kardashian's bosom pal in bling snatch Instagram unpleasantness

Kim Kardashian's best buddy was roughed up by a wannabe mugger soon after Instagramming his $500,000 gold watch in a flash cafe, according to a New York gossip column. Jonathan Cheban, who frequently appears on the execrable reality show Keeping Up with the Kardashians, was busy chowing down on an alfresco lobster lunch at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mike Simmons
          Childcatcher

There is one question I have for you Paul, do you think the Flashy Idiot has enough intelligence to even be able to read the time. I think he would be better suited if he had a few Mickey Mouse characters printed on the face of this monstrosity of a so-called watch.

2. codejunky Silver badge

@paul

Some people buy over expensive and flashy items to treat themselves. Most people I know will splurge on a single flashy item. For some people its a car. Even personalised number plates is a flashy and not cheap item and it is definitely for showing off to the world. Look at people with the latest I-gizmo or samsung item. How many woman wearing flashy jewellery?

The point is that not everyone can afford it, and its not to everyones taste. But it is still wrong for someone to try to steal it. Especially under the flimsy excuse that they were asking for it or could afford it.

1. cordwainer 1
      Happy

A rich guy with class . . .

Would have helped the mugger remove the watch and said, "No need to cause a scene, my good man. Here, take it. And good riddance, hideous thing. What WAS I thinking?"

I can't answer for others here, but I'm betting the majority have more sense than to play tug-of-war with a mugger who might have a knife or a gun or be a total psychopath. Me? I say, it's just a thing, no matter how expensive. Let them have it. It's not worth risking my life, the one item I can't replace. Not to mention pesky laws noting self defsnse only comes into play when one's actual self is threatened with injury or death.

And speaking of death, $500,000 would go a long way toward preventing quite a lot of suffering and it....and that's where you might want to look up "envious" in the dictionary, because I'm not sure you know what it means.

"A lot" of people here are genuinely depressed and/or appalled at how many wealthy individuals like Cheban seem to think simply having and spending large sums of money is something to brag about. Whereas in reality, inheriting millions then blowing a great wad of it on a shiny thing to wave around is not an achievement.

I don't know exactly what it IS. Except what's clear from history is that inability to grasp the real-world value of that kind of money, and the lack of perspective such a purchase reveals, are all too often indicators of underlying pathology, at the very least some kind of mild mental illness or psychological impairment. It's unhealthy, and robs them of the ability to recognize when their behavior might lead to serious harm, whether to themselves or others.

Oh, you're right when you say it's not a crime. Not legally. But you have to remember: the mindset behind such an action - the decision to waste an enormous investment that could accomplish something of genuine value, even if only in that individual's own life - is the equivalent of a crime in most belief systems and many social systems. Religion I suppose would call it "sin" instead, though whether "greed" or "vanity" I leave for others to debate.

If you object to the mention of sin, I must reply (somewhat childishly), "you started it" by accusing other commenters of the mortal sin of envy. Nonsense. The majority of comments criticizing Mr. Cheban merely point out (albeit with a good deal of disbelief and contempt) that spending the sum in question on an item such as the one shown can in no way be considered an "accomplishment", at least not one a completely sane or mature person would take pride in.

Any halfway rational adult would instead be embarrassed to admit he was so badly conned by a salesman, or a bit of clever marketing, and that he let himself be ripped off so royally. A fully rational adult would seek help.

1. M Gale

Re: A rich guy with class . . .

Not to mention pesky laws noting self defsnse only comes into play when one's actual self is threatened with injury or death.

If someone is prepared to rip that watch from your wrist, or try to take that iThing out of your hand, how do you know they are not prepared to kick the shit out of you just for the lulz anyway?

And how do you know if they'll stop when you're down?

Any initiation of violence is a quite valid excuse to defend yourself, as dangerously as you can muster. You simply don't know how far the other person will go.

As for the objections to my post being from people pointing out that the watch was overpriced and tacky.. no. Read up. Read such things as "that's what you get" and "evolution in action". I'm no religionist, so I don't think there is such a thing as "sin" in a religious context. However, to say that people here are not envious that someone can afford half a million to blow on a blinged-up watch, is to have not read the entire comments section.

Have to say I'm a little envious myself, but I detest muggers with a vengeance that burns far brighter than any dislike I may or may not have for particular show-offs.

1. JustWondering
    Happy

Really?

This is the first good reason I have heard for participating in Instagram. I would have brought a machete along.

2. Vociferous

Trickle down economy FTW!

Isn't it great to see Job Creators(tm) hard at work, trickling on the poor from a lofty position?

3. kyza

I'm deeply distressed - I only got as far as 'Kim Kardashian's bosom' and find out the article, far from displaying or being about KKs mounds of heavenly glory, is actually about some twat being a twat and getting twatted for it.

Boo!

4. MachDiamond Silver badge

Tips for the beautiful people

Do not post pictures of your fancy watches/jewelry/solid gold iPad on social media with a note on what you overpaid for it.

Do not post that you are on vacation for the next 2 weeks in a far away country if you don't have security guards on duty at your house.

Think before you post any personal information.

Don't post.

The mugger was a rank amateur. Most experienced robbers would have given him a black jack to the head and had the watch in 5 seconds if they thought that they could resell it for enough. I doubt that many would be willing to take the risk. The watch is too obvious and too overpriced to have much resale value.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like