back to article 100 million self-driving cars will be sold globally in 2035 – report

A new report has come to the rather startling conclusion that there will be nearly 100 million autonomous cars sold per year globally by 2035. Navigant Research, a clean-energy consultancy and research group with offices in the US, UK, and South Korea, forecasts that self-driving cars will comprise 75 per cent of all light- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. fandom

Re: Cheers

The other reason is that a single truck "driver" will be able to keep a truck moving 24 hours a day.

1. Vociferous

Re: Cheers

You mean a fleet of trucks. _And_ a fleet of taxis. And each taxi could take 1-2 more passengers than normal.

Yeah, there's no stopping driverless technology, and it's going to come to commercial vehicles first.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Article Subtitle

title

100_million_self_driving_cars_to_be_sold_in_2035/

Subtitle

In many countries apart from the USA

Personally, I think the lawyers will have a field day over there. Autonomous Car has an accident. Then sue the occupants and the car maker into the ground

Rinse, repeat until no driverless cars are usable in the USofA. The country where you can be sued you for just about any reason someone could dream up.

Driverless cars are an open invitation for endless lawsuits. I'll bet that the lawyers are ordering new legal pads as we speak.

2. eLeft

I would have thought comparing the black boxes of the cars involved would I identify the cause whether it be user error, manufacturing error, third party error or just "bad luck". There will always be a need for insurance but based on car reliability not age, shoe size etc

Any non-automated vehicle should be retro fitted with warning lights and squawk box to let the "intelligent" road users there is a Muppet behind the wheel. Picture the Ferrari with the flashing tit on top!

3. Brian de Ford

Secure V2V communication?

I cannot think of any secure comms protocol that has not had security holes in the past. I doubt very much that any secure comms protocol in existence is completely without security holes that can be exploited in the future.

If ever this comes about, terrorists will pump a lot of time and effort into figuring out how to hack into this. Not only will they be able to cause a single car to swerve over to the wrong side of the road, it will first pass this message to other cars in the vicinity. Instant carnage.

Actually, given some of the stuff reported recently in El Reg, perhaps it will take very little time and effort to hack such a system.

4. JoshOvki
    Joke

Decimal Point

"There will be 100,000,000 by 2035"

"100 million that is a lot!"

"Oh did I say 100 million, put put the decimal point in the wrong place"

"Ohhh, 100,000?"

"No... the OTHER place"

"Ohh, 100, that is more like it!"

5. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Thumb Down

Where's the fun in that?

I reckon this will be about as popular amongst men as a self drinking beer. Stop the madness now!!

6. OzBob
    Mushroom

Oh, won't someone think of the panelbeaters,...

and the speed camera technicians, and the tow truck drivers, and the driving instructors, etc.

Seriously, has anyone thought of the impact on the "motorist economy"? (Those who make bucks out of training drivers or cleaning up after their mistakes).

(And yes I did not include Insurers - you really think less people having less accidents will mean they will lower your premiums?)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like