back to article Possessed baby monitor shouts obscenities at Texas tot

A Texas father ripped out the baby video monitor he'd installed to watch over his two year-old daughter after he heard a British or European man using the device to address the child by name. Father of two Marc Gilbert told ABC News that he heard a male voice coming from inside his daughter's bedroom, calling out her name and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. amanfromearth

Re: I know what happened...

Or as we say here, DDNS

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Family Guy

Maybe he was just trying to get her to drop a deuce.

2. al7

I don't believe anything of it.

3. GothBoy
    WTF?

Stunned...

I'm absolutely stunned that someone would even consider an IP camera in a child's room if there was a possibility of an external network connection being formed. I'm sure people will argue that it's to monitor children while the parents are not at home, in which case I'd suggest they have a far larger issue than a creepy hacker.

It reminded me of the IP camera set I bought from Aldi that had been used, a dynamic IP service set and fully password protected. Not even a factory reset would allow access and a firmware update could only be done, you guessed it, from within the password protected zone. Needless to say that I returned it. Aldi were gobsmacked as to how it had happened given that the security seals were intact at time of purchase. I suggested at the point of manufacture and the Manager removed all remaining units from the floor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stunned...

You're supposed to use an ethernet cable connected to a machine which provides DHCP - you can then nmap that network to locate the camera & set the wireless config.

Oddly enough, this is all described in the fine manual - even if it is written in chinglish.

2. disgruntled yank

Re: Stunned...

"I'm absolutely stunned that someone would even consider an IP camera in a child's room if there was a possibility of an external network connection being formed."

The world is not The Register. Most people don't have a deep understanding of computers let alone of computer security.

4. Fink-Nottle

A baby monitor that whispers AdWords to sleeping infants; resulting in a generation of perfect perfect consumers.

I think Google already holds that copyright.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Patent, not Copyright.

A Copyright about something along those lines is held by the estate of Aldous Huxley.

5. Jim 59

Hacker

I'm stunned that even the most mindless social gimp would swear at/frighten a sleeping bairn. These gimps are also stunningly naive in their belief that the internet is somehow magic and anonymous and that they are safe from detection, exposure and punishment. Some wretch believes Tor or whatever will protect him. Has a laff abusing folks on line. One day he goes to far and commits a crime by threatening to kill/assault somebody. He is in custody within 24 hours.

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Pint

Re: Hacker

Agreed but please don't honour this sort of scuzzbag with the title "hacker". Just call him what he is, an obnoxious, nasty little c....

6. teebie

Basic security error

If your baby doesn't need to be internet accessable, then only allow local access to your baby.

7. Kubla Cant
    Holmes

Probably not hacked

Opinions seem to be sharply divided on whether this man's home network was adequately secured.

I suppose there are Europeans with the skills to hack into it and take over the baby alarm, though why they would bother is a mystery. But the article also says He heard a male voice coming from inside his daughter's bedroom, calling out her name. This implies that alleged hacker gained access to a computer, where he was able to find out the baby's name, then hacked the baby alarm. Possible, but vanishingly improbable.

1. Ross K Silver badge

Re: Probably not hacked

I suppose there are Europeans with the skills to hack into it and take over the baby alarm, though why they would bother is a mystery.

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but why do people hack anything? Boredom? Thrills? Mental problems? I'd actually be reluctant to call this hacking as it doesn't require any technical prowess to increment some letters and numbers in a dyndns address to hop from one webcam to the next.

1. Don Jefe
        Joke

Don't you read the news? All hackers are either paedos or identity thieves, or both. Do try and keep up with what the government tells us.

2. John Ruddy

No, apprently (according to another version of this story), he saw the child's name on the walls, via the camera.

1. Grey Bird

Even if he didn't see the child's name on the walls, all he would have to do is listen to the parents using the child's name. Just because a child is deaf doesn't mean the parents don't talk to her.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The REAL British Accent

Nowt up wi my accent, tha daft Texas bastid!

9. David Roberts

Brit or European?

Well, why be so narrow minded?

Apart from the 'mid-Atlantic' accent you get from East Coast US with UK business connections, what about the rest of the world?

I recall checking into an hotel on the East Coast US and being told "Hey - there's some of your guys in the bar."

Turns out they were Australian.

So could have been an antipodean intruder.

Or almost anyone not born and raised in Texas.

10. sisk

Creepy. As. Hell. Especially the part about him calling the baby a 'little slut'. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a man who belongs either in prison or in a psychologists chair before some kid gets hurt (though given what he's done here, it's probably too late.)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like