back to article Mobe-slurping Wi-Fi SPY BINS banned from London's streets

Electronic BINS in the heart of London must stop tracking hundreds of thousands of passing smartphones, officials have demanded. A dozen or so high-tech rubbish cans - which display adverts and information on built-in flat-screens and are dotted around the capital's financial district's pavements - were set up to collect data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Robin Bradshaw

No Toast!

Oh god they're trying to build talkie toaster but as a bin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

So, you're saying ...

.... they're going to bin the phone tracking bins.

3. Arachnoid
    Holmes

Subtle identification

Whilst they are scanning your mobile/pad mac addresses they can also scan the credit/debit cards in your pocket thus tieing the two to one nameable owner and if the CCTV is on they can also match these details to a face..

4. John 110
    Black Helicopters

Tinfoil hat alert

I'm constantly amazed that people (especially people here!) didn't think that they (sorry, that should be THEY) were doing this sort of thing routinely anyway. (maybe I've watched too much Spooks and 24)

Not posted anonymously, 'cause what's the point.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Private "enforcement"

The best thing to do when this sort of thing happens in future (and in this situation) is for everyone concerned about this sort of thing to send Subject Access Requests to the allegedly infringing companies.

Not only is it your right to have the data but the margins that these companies will be running on per user mean that it'll only take a few requests to render the whole personal data-harvesting exercise unprofitable.

OK, a failure by the company to respond to such a request is enforced by the cuddly ICO, but it's a slam dunk violation. While they only got Capone for tax evasion, it finished him.

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information shows you how to do it.

AC, because, well....

6. MPQC
    Joke

It seems like...

It's only legal when the NSA monitors you. ;)

7. Nuke
    Facepalm

Rubbish Advertising Rubbish

FTFA :- "perhaps .. show tailored adverts to people as they walked by the bins"

If I noticed an advert for something on a rubbish bin, I would assume by association that the something was rubbish.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Rubbish Advertising Rubbish

It's pretty much guaranteed to be rubbish, otherwise they wouldn't have to work so hard to sell it to you.

8. ecofeco Silver badge
    Holmes

...and leave your house and car unlocked while you're at it

WiFi off: check

GPS off: check

Snub location requests from websites: check

Password to unlock phone: check

Having those on is the same as leaving your house and car unlocked.

My phone will only show me via Maps as located at the nearest tower. Which is interesting when I am located near several towers as this also shows me the one the phone is actually using.

Now, as I was saying about not just the NSA spying on you...

1. Don Jefe

Re: ...and leave your house and car unlocked while you're at it

Either you've got a really fancy damn phone or a really shitty house and car. Maybe your car is your house and it doesn't run?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, or who you're planning to assassinate, but the value you place on your phone seems exceptionally misguided and possibly indicative of a serious underlying condition.

1. Intractable Potsherd

I'm not sure what you are getting at, Don. I switch off everything (GPS, wifi, mobile data) on my phone unless I actually want any of those things - basically, most of the time it is just a mobile phone (or as close as I can make it). I also have a passably good lock on the home-screen. Does this make me someone with a "serious underlying condition" too? If so, which, and why is it a problem to you?

1. Don Jefe
          Happy

It was supposed to be funny. I do not understand why you disable all those things, but that's your business. I did not mean to offend. My apologies.

9. david 12 Silver badge

Previous stories (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/28/riotact_goes_berserk_over_bluetooth/) have made it clear that this kind of thing is already widespread. (See for example the map in http://www.atrf11.unisa.edu.au/Assets/Papers/ATRF11_0129_final.pdf). Presumabley widespread in London too, for the same reason, by the same kind of people.

Also, although the term "WiFi" is used everywhere, the only details I have seen use only the term "MAC", which suggests that, like the earlier stories, this is using standard bluetooth tracking equipment.

BTW, how irritating that el register no longer provides links to related stories? Irritated. Don't like you. Don't like your advertisers either. Irritated.

1. Intractable Potsherd

"... el register no longer provides links to related stories"

Yes, this is irritating. Please fix it, guys!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/29/cellphone_tracking_nixed/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/8995867/Shopping-centres-track-customers-with-mobile-technology.html

10. Miek
    Linux

"Irrespective of what’s technically possible, anything that happens like this on the streets needs to be done carefully, with the backing of an informed public" -- Unless of course it is the government that's doing the snooping.

11. Miek
    Coat

Bins Laden with sensors apparently not looking for Bin Laden.

12. Charles Augustus Milverton
    Meh

Can I just say how flattered I feel that these people are prepared to waste so much money, and so many resources, just to show me adverts that I'll ignore, or more usually, subconsciously filter out. I'm also rather flattered that they think I am so rich that just because I bought an expensive widget yesterday, I'll be buying another one tomorrow. I wonder what planet they come from ?

1. Don Jefe

If your already spent your widget budget then those adverts aren't aimed at you. They're aimed at the next guy to come down the street with money to burn in his pocket. Advertising is a numbers game with a very, very small target for a given advert. If you get .5% increase with a campaign then it was worth the investment.

The downside of all that is that everybody is simultaneously trying to get the attention of that .5% so it seems overwhelming but the truth of the matter is you don't really filter it out. Your subconscious does remember it and it does affect you, and everyone else...

13. DarrDarr

So, turning off collection of license plate data by cameras that are watching traffic will also be disabled immediately, right?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like